Drivers side Half Shaft question

Bottoz

Drivers side Half Shaft question

Post by Bottoz » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:59 am

I need some assistance. Could someone (ECOTEC) check the play in their drivers side axle? Pull it, and see how far it moves out of the transmission. I need to know what is normal. Mine pulls out a good .5 to .75 of an inch.
Last edited by Bottoz on Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Re: Drivers side Half Shaft question

Post by bolus » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:11 am

it moves perhaps 0.5 mm.  hardly any movement at all.  Is this the side that had the wheel bearing issue?

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:28 am

Yes... it's the same side. Here's a video for your comparison. LINK. Let me know if yours moves that much. The rest of the axle stays stationary. It's moving out of the tranny and flexing on the CV joint.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:31 am

No way, that is huge!  Mine does not move at all really.  Barely any perceptible movement.    Do you have the new wheel bearing in?

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:33 am

Nope. The 'questionable' wheel bearing is still in. I put everything back together, went for a drive around the block and the car feels fine. Brakes feel fine. No wheel wobble... but that half shaft really moves. I have a theory... BRB. I'm going to inspect the joint under the rubber boot.
Last edited by Bottoz on Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:46 am

what is the other side of the shaft doing? is it moving in and out of the wheel hub or is the rubber accordioning in and out?

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:56 am

The other side is completely normal. No movement at all. All the movement is coming from Inner CV Joint.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:00 am

In my professional opinion, I think ya gat a problem there

positron

Post by positron » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:21 am

Practically nil here.  You'd better get that squared away sooner than later..

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:27 am

I'll talk to Tom and Ché tomorrow. Looks like my race weekend plans are gone  :'(

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:32 am

So what's the deal?  were you able to pull back any of the rubber and look?

What axle shafts does it use?  Isn't it the same one as the cobalt?  You could probably pick one up at a Chevy dealer

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:36 am

Honestly I don't know. I don't see anything crushed or bent or any metal shavings inside the boot (just a bunch of greasy goop!). I can only assume there is a C-clip or something that keeps the axle from not moving as much inside the tranny. I'm currently researching. Brammo is gone for the day... so I'll have to pick it up tomorrow.

Here's what I think happened.... a loose axle nut toasted the wheel bearing which in turn caused something else to get damaged on the inner axle. Either the CV joint its self or a retainer clip inside the tranny.

Bottoz' live and learn tip of the day: TORQUE YOUR AXLE NUTS! 200 on the rears, and 150 up front. The nut requires a 30mm socket. Admittedly, I'm really tough on my car. 1500+ miles and nearly all on the road course. But hey, an ounce of prevention is worth... well... I'll tally up the bill at the end of the week.
Last edited by Bottoz on Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

McFred

Post by McFred » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:05 pm

The inboard joint is supposed to be able to move like that.  It looks like the joint is not pushed all the way into the transmission.  There is a wire ring on the end of the joint inside the transmission that snaps into the diff.  If you push that joint in all the way and it still doesn't lock into place, it could be missing that ring on the end.  Here's a picture of an axle, see the ring on the lower left?

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:46 pm

I see the axle, the dust boots the clamps that hold them on, and a sticker on the axle... Maybe a closer picture with more detail showing of the part/area in question?

McFred

Post by McFred » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:20 pm

[quote="Driver"]
I see the axle, the dust boots the clamps that hold them on, and a sticker on the axle... Maybe a closer picture with more detail showing of the part/area in question?
[/quote]

It's just like any other cv axle guys.  There is a little spring clip on the end that snaps into the diff to hold the axle in.  I found this pic on google: