Dash water temp reliability

bolus

Dash water temp reliability

Post by bolus » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:00 pm

I've seen a couple of old posts on the subject but I thought I would ask the IIb owners.  How reliable is your water temp on the dash?

I ask because I was out driving in pretty warm weather and as I was pulling into my garage I noticed the water temp on the dash said 250F.  It was blinking in warning.  Checked over the car and the fan was working and there was coolant in the tank.  No leaks or other problems. 

So I hooked up me OBD reader at started the car back up.  On the computer, the temp rose to 200F and the fan turned on and nicely cooled it to 185.  But on the dash the temp was reading 220 and blinking.  It came down too but I'm not happy to see a 20 degree difference. 

May be I never noticed before but I dont remember it going that high.  But I haven't driven around in 90f degree weather either. 

Anyone else see this?  I think it is time to order me one of bottoz's OBD gauges. 

Karl

Re: Dash water temp reliability

Post by Karl » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:03 pm

Search is your friend!

http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/topic,4207.0.html

I've hooked up the ECU MIL light to the dash parking brake light, and have it programmed to illuminate on overheating, for extra reliability.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:08 pm

Thanks that thread is perfect (i even posted in it), search was not my friend though. :(

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:03 am

(you post in every thread bolus  :laugh:)

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:32 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
(you post in every thread bolus  :laugh:)
[/quote]
bolus, you'll catch up to Alec in no time... ;D ;D ;D
Cheersâ?¢

Evilatom Transit

Post by Evilatom Transit » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:58 am

I've read alot of threads regarding these SPA dashes.  Speedo problems, water temp problems etc. Have they finally fixed the dash issue? Some people said they are waiting on a warranty replacement as well. Am I to assume the Capacitor fix never solved the problem?

Bolus - you should be very scared - I'm closing in fast on your post count. 4 down, 2400 to go!

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:03 am

Nah, the dash is just crappy (or it is a fine dash that just doesn't mix with Atom that well, personally I say crappy).  The capacitor kept it from resetting every 5 minutes.  That is much nicer.  But unreliable fuel and temperature settings are frustrating. 

Evilatom Transit

Post by Evilatom Transit » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:06 am

So in the course of our 2300 mile trek we should expect the dash to tell us the engine blew up 3 times, over heated twice, and we ran out of gas but are still rolling down the highway 7 miles later?

Must be a great dash!

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:16 am

People say around here that The crappy dash is just part of the "badge of courage" of owning the Atom.  I can live with non-canceling indicators but not with incorrect water temp alerts.

After seeing DP's car with a Hayabusa dash in it, I think it would be cool to put one of those in the car

[img width=800 height=528]http://bolus.shackspace.com/Hayabusa_Dash.jpg[/img]

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:23 am

Any picts of DP's car showing that? Sounds interesting.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:43 am

I should have clarified that it is in the DP1, not his atom.  I could not find a good pic but it fits a car really well

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:22 am

[quote="Evilatom Transit"]
I've read alot of threads regarding these SPA dashes.  Speedo problems, water temp problems etc. Have they finally fixed the dash issue? Some people said they are waiting on a warranty replacement as well. Am I to assume the Capacitor fix never solved the problem?
[/quote]

The dash is fine. It's the interaction with other bits that causes issues. Having said that, apart from two broken speedo needles on early incantations of the dash (due to corrosive orange paint weakening them - a problem now resolved), mine have been fine. Might be the GM ECU, custom loom, or any one of many other things, but the self-same dash in Brit spec cars doesn't have the same issues.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:29 pm

Only problem I have had is the sticking speedo needle. I have not had a problem with the temp gauge. When I was baking on the way home in 95 degree temps in a small traffic jam the engine did get up to 203 and then a fan kicked in and nicely cooled down the engine.
Can someone please let me know what the normal operating temp for the engine is. Mine is usually between 173 and 178. Normal?
Cheersâ?¢

Evilatom Transit

Post by Evilatom Transit » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:35 pm

That sounds about right for the 2.0L Ecotec. The RedLine ION hovers around 170-180. The thermostat lets it come up higher ( i believe 200) before the fan kicks in.  Someone would have to verify this as its been awhile since I checked that.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:52 pm

Mav, that is exactly what my car does.