HPtuners

bolus

Re: HPtuners

Post by bolus » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:27 pm

Did you get the tune from Darth and get it uploaded to the new ECU yet?  Just curious if it worked

silver

Post by silver » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:33 pm

I got the tune emailed to me, I have the ECU, but, since I need to let Ray get the car dyno'd after the exhaust, and keep everything else the same, I'm not going to put the new ecu in until then so probaby 3 weeks then I'll know if it loads up.

silver

Post by silver » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:31 am

hey, update for anyone who's interested.  Something that a lot of cobalt owners are doing is tuning their car's to produce 50% boost in 1st gear, and it seems like that's one hell of a good idea for those folks that want to be able to hammer it in 1st gear with out worrying about so much wheel spin.

Darth or Fishkiller, have you contemplated doing this to your tune?

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:45 am

Cut boost?  wus!

It would be interesting to try.  once you can tune, you can try all kinds of unorthodox stuff.  but really if you are going for 0-60 times then you just start in second gear.  You are not going to be using first gear for anything useful anyway

positron

Post by positron » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:51 am

I tried it also with rev limiter in lower gears but it didn't seem to know what gear it was in so I couldn't get it to work.. I saw no reason to 7k first gear..

fishkiller

Post by fishkiller » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:51 am

If I knew what to do, I'd do it.
Find out for us, if you can. Thanks

I drove my car back from the dyno shop today, It does have a bit more ZIP than it did before.

But there are a few issues, to figure out.
I'm now wondering why the coolant fan kicks on intermittently at any temp.  
Ideas of what and where to look??
Thanks

silver

Post by silver » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:10 am

again...I did mention for those of you who want to get better times off the line....obviously it's not something you'd use on the track....and you will get horrible 0-60 times in the ecotec if you try to start in 2nd gear....it doesn't work..plus 1st gear goes to almost 40mph, why would you skip it...it's not like the honda where 1st gear is over by a lot closer to 20mph right!

fishkiller

Post by fishkiller » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:17 am

How about 50% boost, at less than 10-20MPH.
It might be fun to play with different values.  A Poor Mans, traction control.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:31 am

Max, you are like the terminator... it keeps on coming no matter how many times you shoot it.  :)

No harm to trying,  if you wanted to do that kind of fine tuning experimentation it is probably worth buying the program and learning how to do it yourself.  Then if you dont like it you dont have to pay a tuner to change it back. 

I dont think I've seen a problem with the fan control before.  I think I remember seeing a setting for it though.  Darth has my computer though

positron

Post by positron » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:12 am

Too bad it doesn't know it's in first gear...

silver

Post by silver » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:40 am

[quote="MadMaxedAtom"]
How are you ever going to learn to launch if a machine does it for you?

It's not like you can't modulate the throttle and clutch and get the same results.
[/quote]

You assume I would do this because of a lack of driving skills........you know what happens when you ass u me don't you.......I can launch just fine...no wheel spin, no problems shifting...I'm pretty damn good in a straight line......I just think it's cool that the software has the capability of limiting it that's all.

I guess if I could add something like ABS or traction control, I would so I'm probably just a way different owner then some of you all out there.

positron

Post by positron » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:21 am

I agree with silver.. there is all kinds of neat things that you can do .. my V, to help with decel on track I have it fuel off and the AC come on. It'll put you through the windshield..

I tried 50% boost  and rev limit to 6kin first and 10% boost over 7200 so if it tried to run away it wouldn't do like a run away Jimmy.

Anybody old enough besides me to see one of those run away?

Lane

Post by Lane » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:00 pm

[quote="MadMaxedAtom"]
A poor substitute to learning it yourself!
[/quote]

It's no that people can't learn to do something themselves - some would rather defer certain tasks to technology that can do them better (yes, I know the word better is subjective here), more reliably/accurately, and in a repeatable fashion.  If you feel this way Max, you better dig up and burn your calculator.  Maybe even your printer too.  They just keep you from learning how to add and write.  ;D
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

RyanD

Post by RyanD » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:24 pm

They say the F1 cars are losing about half a second a lap this year due to loss of traction control and engine braking.  When they first introduced ABS on Vipers, they showed that it was worth a considerable amount of time per lap as well.  Being in control of everything on the car yourself is more fun, but electronics definitely produce faster lap times.

fishkiller

Post by fishkiller » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:52 am

[quote="fishkiller"]
If I knew what to do, I'd do it.
Find out for us, if you can. Thanks

I drove my car back from the dyno shop today, It does have a bit more ZIP than it did before.

But there are a few issues, to figure out.
I'm now wondering why the coolant fan kicks on intermittently at any temp.  
Ideas of what and where to look??
Thanks
[/quote]

Today, I took the car out for a quick ride.
Came back and the fan was still on after I shut the car off. So I waited and waited for it to turn off.  No-Go.
Apparently the fan relay contacts have welded themselves together.  I swapped a few relays around, as they all have the same part number and the fan shutoff.
So, Does anyone know where to get another relay?
OMRON 21911C
05269988AA
4151D3
I Googled those numbers and came up with a Dodge Caravan wiper relay, Is this really correct.
Where do we get replacement electricial parts?