Fly Wheel Exposed?

Bottoz

Fly Wheel Exposed?

Post by Bottoz » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:06 pm

I noticed something a bit odd yesterday. I can see the Fly Wheel. If you look at just the right angle, you can see about 15º of the fly wheel... teeth and all. Crank it up... and it rotates. I didn't notice anything missing, such as a cover... but I didn't jack up the rear to get a really good look to see if in fact some sort of a cover was missing.

Can anyone with an LSJ confirm this? Look down the long (passenger side) half shaft. On the rear where the engine block meets the tranny.. at that junction I can see the fly wheel.
Last edited by Bottoz on Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Re: Fly Wheel Exposed?

Post by bolus » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:44 pm

I can see mine too.  One of the many reasons why the car shouldn't be driven in the mud. 

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:19 pm

Well... as long as it's 'normal'.  :-\ Thanks for the reply.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:30 pm

its like the invisible human project

KK

Post by KK » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:23 am

Is this a GM drivetrain only issue or is the flywheel also exposed with the Honda engine?

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:35 am

for those curious

[img width=450 height=600]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/fly.jpg[/img]

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:22 pm

Darnit, I was planning on going to the mudbog tonight! But seriously, IS this a problem?

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:26 pm

only a problem for fingers

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:41 pm

Actually, I found that there is a dust shield usually attached to that area.  I cont find a replacement part number though.
Attachments
dustshield.jpg
dustshield.jpg (65.27 KiB) Viewed 384 times

Karl

Post by Karl » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:26 pm

The K20A has a dust shield over a small port with access to the flywheel, as well.  On my car, it's installed - it's a stamped black piece of sheet metal on the underside of the engine.

positron

Post by positron » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:53 pm

Which configuration will make car go faster? Otherwise I can't reach from driver's seat so I'm good...

Plus if bystanders reach past the multiple "hot" placards to get to rotating buzz saw... well too bad..
Last edited by positron on Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:26 pm

Went by the chevy dealer and the parts guy helped me search for the cover.  We think it is GM part number 9126582.  Clutch cover. 

silver

Post by silver » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:59 am

maybe before putting it on you should email craig/tom or joe to find out if they left it off on purpose...sometimes they already thought through something to omit it on purpose, sometimes not.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:11 am

Probably left off to let clutch dust out.  It was only $4 so I ordered it anyway

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:29 am

[quote="bolus"]
Probably left off to let clutch dust out.  It was only $4 so I ordered it anyway
[/quote]

Can you confirm that part number? ...then I'll order one too.