New front fender brackets for very early production Brammo Atoms

Terry Kennedy

New front fender brackets for very early production Brammo Atoms

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:10 am

I thought I'd post this to let others know about a potentially useful item which is now available from Brammo...

If you have a very early Brammo Atom, you probably have front fender mounting brackets that limit the tightness of turns due to interference between the steering linkage and the fender supports. There are collar stops under the steering boots at either end of the steering rack which limit the steering range to prevent contact between these parts.

In subsequent cars, Brammo re-designed the front fender mounting brackets to have more clearance.

Due to a number of reasons, including:

o field removal of the fenders from the brackets is not recommended
o rock damage to my rear fenders from a gravel road
o custom-color fenders

I ordered a new set of 4 fenders / brackets from Brammo. You could get by with just the front fenders / brackets, or even just the new brackets (I guess).

After installing the new fenders and removing the collar stops, I can now turn the Atom in much tigher circles, so I no longer have to do a 3-point turn to make it into a gas station on the other side of the road.

Any combination of these parts should be orderable from Brammo if anyone is interested.

bolus

Re: New front fender brackets for very early production Brammo Atoms

Post by bolus » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:27 am

Or you can turn like Darth by turning the wheel and popping the clutch

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:55 am

My preferred option, too...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:08 am

Any (and I stress ANY) spinning of the tires around the Po-Po will get you an 'Exhibition of Acceleration' ticket around here.  At least with the new fixes you have a choice.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:00 pm

oooo, I want to get a sticker for my tub that says that: "Exhibition of Acceleration"

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:20 pm

Sounds cool huh? I'm not sure but I think nowadays that term will revoke your license. One and only time I was written that ticket, 20+ years ago, 1am in the morning on a foggy weeknight leaving work. Spun my wheels just a little on the wet road and that was all the excuse the cop wanted. Thank god for being able to take Defensive Driving and getting it taken off my record. Didn't help I was driving a 68 Plymouth Satellite (Roadrunner's cousin).

I just mentioned it as a heads up. Don't want people to think that maneuver (no matter how cool it is when properly executed :) ) will be acceptable to the neighborhood cop that hates on the Atom.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:30 pm

Upgraded my front fender brackets in April - what a difference! Very much worth the effort.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:59 pm

Would the new brackets be on an Atom finished last month or is it a special purchase?

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:02 pm

[quote="rfmarz"]
Would the new brackets be on an Atom finished last month or is it a special purchase?
[/quote]

Absolutely - this only affected the first dozen or so cars produced (deliveries before September 2006, I'd guess).