Oil change in a Jiffy

nickpoore

Oil change in a Jiffy

Post by nickpoore » Wed May 09, 2007 12:37 am

I have it from a reliable source that an oil change can be accomplished in 20 minutes.

Step 1.
Go an buy oil.  6 quarts of Mobile1 5w 30.
While you're at the store, buy some soda's as well.  Cold ones.

Step 2.
Drive to your local Jiffy Lube store in the middle of the afternoon when they're empty and bored.
Answer all their questions.
Turn the ignition on, wait 10 seconds and turn it off without starting the car - this drains the masterlube.

Step 3.
Push it up onto the oil change bay, and show them where the oil filter is.
Give them the oil filter wrench; show them how it works.

Step 4.
Sit and wait for 10 minutes.

Step 5.
Give the guys working on your car cold soda.
Thank them.

Step 6.
Help them start the car, and verify that the oil level is right.
Start off with 5 quarts of oil.
Start the car, and rev it a few times.
While reving at 3000 rpm, turn the ignition off.  This keeps the masterlube full of oil.
Check the oil level, add more oil as appropriate.

Step 7.
Pay the cashier.
Thank the guys again.

Step 8.
Drive away.

Total time: 10 minutes buying oil; 20 minutes at Jiffy Lube.
Total cost: Oil: $40.  Soda: $5.  JiffyLube: $25.

EASY.
Attachments
img037.jpg
img037.jpg (84.98 KiB) Viewed 319 times

bolus

Re: Oil change in a Jiffy

Post by bolus » Wed May 09, 2007 12:58 am

Oh no you didn't....  You didn't really take an Atom to jiffy lube??

I did my oil and filter change in 20 minutes for $45

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Wed May 09, 2007 1:56 am

cshama

Post by cshama » Wed May 09, 2007 3:06 am

[quote="nicolas"]

Step 8.
Drive away.

Step 9

Realize Jiffy Lube guys forgot to replace drain cap. Burn up engine. Buy new engine after fruitless discussion with Jiffy Lube asking for compensation.

EASY.
[/quote]

atomizer

Post by atomizer » Wed May 09, 2007 6:52 am

the first and last time I went to rippy jiffy lube off they blew my A/C conpressor up.....they did not admit guilt.....no one was watching the freon filler as it was filling the freon.....hmmm
will NEVER go back to any JL stores.

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed May 09, 2007 8:06 am

Why the hell would you go to a Jiffy Lube for AC work? That's just asking for it. As far as oil changes they are no more or less likely to blow your engine up than a dealer. Either the guy has countless hundreds if not thousands of oil changes under their belt or they're a newbie and you takes your chances. No different than a dealership. I've worked for both types of companies. BMW mechanic in my youth and website guy for Jiffy Lubes biggest competition a few years back (their 15 location were bought by JL later).

As long as you watch either of them and double check the tightness of the oil filter and the drain plug as soon as you get home you are good to go. I've been personal witness when both types of businesses have cooked an engine. At least with lube businesses they don't take your car for joy rides or walk away in the middle of the change (which is how parts just hand tightened get left to work themselves loose). I'd also bet all the pit monkeys or mechanics at either place fight over who get's to do the job, guarantying that an experienced senior person does the work.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed May 09, 2007 8:53 am

[quote="Driver"]
I'd also bet all the pit monkeys or mechanics at either place fight over who get's to do the job, guarantying that an experienced senior person does the work.
[/quote]

Yep same as getting tyres fitted, straight to the front of the que and the best guys on the case

Ben

atomizer

Post by atomizer » Wed May 09, 2007 3:42 pm

Driver.... great question...I had a car that needed to be retrofitted to take the "new" type of freon. They did this plus fill the freon gas for X dollars.  Since one cant purchase this gas in california for DYI and it was 110 degrees that day and staying cool while driving was a neccesity (wife)...this seemed like a good deal....until jiffy attendant blew my system up because he walked away from the car...I suppose it was to hot for him to stay outside while doing his job....and get this I still had to pay or they would not have released the car back to me!

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Wed May 09, 2007 3:57 pm

I always take my cars to Jiffy Lube.
I always stay outside, chat with the guys, and watch what they're doing.

There have been news reports about JL on the local news, on how they are pressured to upsell service, and then don't do it.
However, I have never had a problem, and generally get good service.

I could easily do this work at home, but then I have all the issues of how to get rid of the oil (take it down to JL?), and some more mess to clean up.

Timewise it take about the same, but I keep cleaner and have fewer burns when I get somebody else to do it.

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed May 09, 2007 4:10 pm

If your car was using the old freon (R4?) I'd just have someone service it. You were grandfathered if your car originally came with it, why swap? Dealers and service garages can still get it and you were at one.. ???

atomizer

Post by atomizer » Wed May 09, 2007 4:28 pm

didnt know about any grandfathering...was not aware this was availible. but the new freon was alot cheaper than the old and plus.....I was helping the earth.....bad freon...good freon....blown compressor....all freon gone... ohh well

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed May 09, 2007 7:55 pm

Well it wasn't any blown seals until they botched it... Actually would've been more 'green' to keep it sealed rather than having to recycle the old stuff. Best intentions and all that, I know....

Matt F

Post by Matt F » Fri May 11, 2007 5:37 am

Have you guys seen this?

Matt F

Post by Matt F » Fri May 11, 2007 5:40 am

Thank you, regardless of Jiffy Lube, Nicolas, for the information!  I especially appreciate the Masterlube instructions.

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri May 11, 2007 6:44 am

Why would anyone with an Atom take it anywhere for an oil change and not keep an eye on it while it is being done?

How hard is it to make sure they 1) drain the oil, 2) put the drain plug back in, 3) put oil in, 4) run it for a minute, and finally 5) check the level one last time. That's ALL there is to it!