Use that Parking Brake Light!

Karl

Use that Parking Brake Light!

Post by Karl » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:00 am

I finally found the terminus of the parking brake dash ('idiot') light feed today, it's a loose wire with a female spade connector at the end of the long parking brake handle (by the brake fluid reservoirs).  It's a single wire, colored black and purple, that will cause the parking brake icon to light up if you ground it.  I hooked it up to the ECU as a check engine light, but you might find other, more creative uses for it!

silver

Re: Use that Parking Brake Light!

Post by silver » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:16 am

.....HANG ON A MINUTE....Do you mean you now have a MIL?  Can you explain how you figured out where to connect it..Finding the wire is probably easy enough with the explanation you already made, but, for next year's inspection I need a MIL on the dash...can you help?
Last edited by silver on Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karl

Post by Karl » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:34 am

Yes, it's the MIL.  I've got a K20A so I'm not sure how much help I can be but... the factory service manual goes a long way towards figuring these kinds of things out. :)
Last edited by Karl on Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gstatom

Post by gstatom » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:40 am

Mother-in-Law light?

Karl

Post by Karl » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:51 am

Malfunction Indicator Light.

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:45 am

Um.... since the 2 known codes are constantly on (even after clearing them with an OBD2 scanner), what good would a MIL do? But I sure as heck like the idea of the E-brake light functioning! Nice find!

silver

Post by silver » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:39 pm

Bottoz, good point, I guess I wouldn't want it hooked up right now, but, I need it hooked up after everything is resolved from Brammo, that way I can pass emissions next year.....but you're right I certainly wouldn't want a dash light on constantly....are you going to hook it up to the e-brake....perhaps in a BOTTOZ 4TH UPGRADE thread or something?

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:11 pm

Well... since snow has canceled my race weekend and I don't have jack crap to do today. I think I'll look into it!

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:58 pm

As Karl said.... it can be done! From Karl's instructions I found the wire. It does in fact light up the dash indicator. Now... the quest for a switch.

Video

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:46 pm

Well... I got it to work, in a Super Ghetto/MacGyver kind of way. It involved some wire, rubber bands, zip ties and a rubber hose. It took it off... before it fell off ;). I've contacted the maker and a retailer of the "Mr. Parker" system. Hopefully they'll have a switch. I looked for a suitable replacement switch at an Auto Parts store... but couldn't find one. We can get this functional... but it'll take some more research.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:50 pm

For the life of me, I cannot find this loose wire.  But, I find it interesting that on page 5 of the brammo manual, item# 4 is listed as "parking brake indicator".  Why wouldn't they hook this up?  Are they going to use this for the MIL?

(and stop saying MIL Light... its not a malfunction indicator light light  :laugh: )

KK

Post by KK » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:56 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
... and stop saying MIL Light ...
[/quote]
because that's the same quality as a
[quote="gstatom"]
Mother-in-Law light
[/quote]
;) :D ;D

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:59 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
MIL Light
[/quote]

Sounds like a beer!

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:14 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
For the life of me, I cannot find this loose wire.  But, I find it interesting that on page 5 of the brammo manual, item# 4 is listed as "parking brake indicator".  Why wouldn't they hook this up?  Are they going to use this for the MIL?

(and stop saying MIL Light... its not a malfunction indicator light light  :laugh: )
[/quote]

Darth, it is in the loom section that comes out of the center of the dash, then it runs parallel in between the shock and bonet. If you see the end (brown female blade clip) just give it a tug. It will come out about a foot. Get some jumper wire and touch it to a ground. The Parking Brake light will light up when ignition is on.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:25 pm

It must be bundled up in there good, its definitely not hanging out by itself.  I'm not willing to dig into the bundle at this point... I just want my 300hp  :-\