Front Brake Lines rubbing

Bottoz

Front Brake Lines rubbing

Post by Bottoz » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:17 am

I noticed that the front brake lines for the Track (Willwood) brakes rub on the lower a-arm suspension bolt. It only happens when you turn the steering wheel all the way to its locking point. If you turn the wheel fully to the right, the right brake line rubs. Ditto for when you turn fully left. To fix it, I simply cut and replaced the zip tie further inward on the a-arm. In my opinion, the brake lines should be run along the suspension push rod... but that requires removing the line from the caliper to re-route it.

Here are some pics.

Front Left:

Front Right:

Front Left after slack added in line due to zip tie removal and repositioning:

Front Right after mod:

maverick1

Brake line chafing.

Post by maverick1 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:17 am

Today I noticed my front passenger brake line was chafing on a bolt. The outer plastic coating has been completely rubbed off. Does anyone know what I can wrap around my brake line to stop this from getting any worse?
Guys probably a good idea to check out your brake lines.
Cheersâ?¢
Attachments
IMG_1892_1 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1892_1 (Medium).JPG (40.06 KiB) Viewed 171 times

Mr.Woolery

Re: Brake line chafing.

Post by Mr.Woolery » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:15 am

You can 1) make a stand off tiedown, or 2) but a chaffing guard on it.

To make a standoff tiedown, you'd first wrap the tiewrap to whatever you're going to secure the brake line to, then thread both loose ends of the tiewrap through a small bit of hose, and then wrap the tiewrap ends around the brake line and close it.  The bit of hose acts to push the brake line away while still securing it.  It works, but you can only make the standoff about as long as the hose is wide, otherwise it'll start flopping around.

To make a chaffing guard, you simply wrap the brakeline with a bit of split rubber hose, and secure it in place with tiewraps.  It works, but it's ugly.

maverick1

Re: Brake line chafing.

Post by maverick1 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:46 am

Thanks guys. I think I will try Bottoz's method and see if it works. Lucky I noticed it as I had worn through the outer plastic coating. Probably going to wrap some electrical tape around it as well, not pretty but functional.
Cheersâ?¢