Investigating an LED conversion kit

Mr.Woolery

Investigating an LED conversion kit

Post by Mr.Woolery » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:06 am

I've begun talks with the folks at http://www.clearcorners.com/ to make an LED conversion kit for my Atom.  It's a bit early to tell how this will pan out, but we're planning to meet and discusss the possibilities soon.  I'm trying to get them to make a kit so others can implement these as well--but it's a "we'll see" project for now.  I'm fairly confident we'll be able to come up with a good conversion & improve on the Atom's street lighting while maintaining the Atom's looks & simplicity in the lighting department.

bolus

Re: Investigating an LED conversion kit

Post by bolus » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:14 am

I'd be interested if they come up with something

Karl

Post by Karl » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:25 am

Count me in as very interested.  If this is going to be full-on custom, I'd also like to be a part of the development process.  If they can do LED headlights too (maybe with the new Ostar LEDs?) I will kowtow to them.

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:25 am

[quote="bolus"]
I'd be interested if they come up with something
[/quote]

Me too, and I think nearly everyone would be since lighting issues seem to be the number one criticism among owners (besides the mirrors but there are several excellent solutions for that issue now).

silver

Post by silver » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:31 am

What exactly do you want to switch to LED.  I tried out some LED's for rear brake lights, and they fit in just like regular bulbs.  I think maybe Brammo changed the housings because someone else stated that they didn't fit, but the ones I tried fit just like normal.  1157 bulbs from Autozone even fit just fine.
Last edited by silver on Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:46 am

[quote="Karl"]
Count me in as very interested.  If this is going to be full-on custom, I'd also like to be a part of the development process.  If they can do LED headlights too (maybe with the new Ostar LEDs?) I will kowtow to them.
[/quote]

We'll also be looking into headlight options, so that may be a possibility.

[quote="silver"]
What exactly do you want to switch to LED.  I tried out some LED's for rear brake lights, and they fit in just like regular bulbs.  I think maybe Brammo changed the housings because someone else stated that they didn't fit, but the ones I tried fit just like normal.  1157 bulbs from Autozone even fit just fine.
[/quote]

The conversion would completely replace the bulb sockets & possibly the housings as well, not just the simple installation of 1157 LED bulbs to use the current bulb sockets/housings.  Check out some of the work they've done on their website.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:24 am

count me in as well.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:13 am

[quote="The Masked Spaz"]
I've begun talks with the folks at http://www.clearcorners.com/ to make an LED conversion kit for my Atom.  It's a bit early to tell how this will pan out, but we're planning to meet and discusss the possibilities soon.  I'm trying to get them to make a kit so others can implement these as well--but it's a "we'll see" project for now.  I'm fairly confident we'll be able to come up with a good conversion & improve on the Atom's street lighting while maintaining the Atom's looks & simplicity in the lighting department.
[/quote]

Interesting. I have a set of Luxeon 3W 1156/1157 lamps in the appropriate colors, as well as regular LEDs for the license plate light (9 white LEDs) and backup light (36 white LEDs in a 6x6 matrix) but I haven't started fitting them yet. Due to contact issues I ran into with the factory incandescent lamps, I was thinking of hard-wiring the 1156/1157s - which I might have to do anyway since they don't have a standard envelope shape.

ImageImage

Karl

Post by Karl » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:37 pm

Terry, the Luxeon 3's are not bright enough to be seen well in direct sunlight, though they seem to work okay in every other situation.  If Mr Woolery's thing pans out, we could go the Lexus IS route and have 4 Luxeon 3's per side, or perhaps a different setup with many LEDs... after seeing the photos on that site, I'm looking forward to this!

jon b

Post by jon b » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:51 pm

From the UK - I am up for any viable solution as long as someone has done some tests to ensure longevity?

mobilerobbie

Post by mobilerobbie » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:18 am

Hint: go to Ultraleds.co.uk.
I've ordered 48 led taillamps for my Lotus and they are great!!!!
Since the engine in the Atom is fixed in the chassis, I presume the normal bulbs will be gone in a flash, am I right.
Therefore LEDS would be very wellcome....
They also supply turnlights in amber, citylights etc. :)

I received my order within 5 days....

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:36 am

Although most of UltraLED's stuff is fine, several of us had issues with their brake/rear bulbs. They basically snapped into two bits.

Having said that, the replacements they sent me for free are working perfectly. Touch wood...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Alec

Post by Alec » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:54 am

They still list an Ariel Atom Bulb Kit but it's just a blank page.  ???
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:03 am

How about an LED reverse light to match the rain light?

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:50 am

[quote="nicolas"]
How about an LED reverse light to match the rain light?
[/quote]

Both these products are mass produced locally. They are not fittings containing LED lamps, they are solid LED blocks. Sealed against dust and water ingress.

(dimensions are in mm)
Attachments
led_wrnd_Dia.jpg
led_wrnd_Dia.jpg (6.51 KiB) Viewed 211 times
led_wrnd_pic.jpg
led_wrnd_pic.jpg (49.94 KiB) Viewed 212 times
led_rev_Dia.jpg
led_rev_Dia.jpg (7.25 KiB) Viewed 209 times
led_rev_pic.jpg
led_rev_pic.jpg (42.49 KiB) Viewed 214 times