alternatives to zip ties?

Alec

Re: alternatives to zip ties?

Post by Alec » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:54 pm

If they fitted the UK car I would be packing a set into my luggage after AtomFest.

In fact, if they did fit I have a mate who ships containers of secondhand bikes over to here.

I could get him to put them in one of those, like he did with the seat rail for my Royal Star that wasn't available over here.

Can't wait to see how they mount on, so anyone who gets them fitted, please post photos and details.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:08 am

In my experience, adhesive backed cable tie (zip tie) mounts look nice until they fall off when the adhesive foam tape breaks down.
Then its out with the solvents to clean the mess off whatever they were mounted to.

If they are rotating, then there are two problems.
The cable tie isnt done up tight enough ...
(use a pair of side cutters to try and tighten them - then cut the end off flush - trust me you'll thank me for that last bit of advice when you next stick your hand in there!!!)
If you position the zip part of the tie next to the smaller diameter and tighten it over it... it wont rotate.

The other option is standard electrical spiral wrap. Although it is tiresome to put on and remove, this looks damn sexy when done to an entire section!

Jared

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:47 am

Thanks,  I'll see how my solution works out once it gets raining.  The holder has adhesive and it's own zip tie and there is an extra zip tie holding the line to the holder.  I cant rotate it by hand when I could rotate it before no matter how tight I zip tied it.

Myerfire48

Post by Myerfire48 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:42 am

I like that.  I'm hitting up REI tomarrow, my brake line was rubbing the belt a little.

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:42 pm

You could also double loop the cable ties.
i.e. wrap the tie twice around the things you want to tie together and then tighten.

This is often employed as an easy strain relief and provides additional friction on the things to be tied.

The 3M tie blocks you have used have provision for a cable tie around the support and should also fit in a second tie around the cable.

If you find the adhesive perishes then I suggest you replace it with 3M 9609.
Its a pressure sensitive laminating adhesive double sided tape. Sticks like s*** to a blanket.

Another thing to consider, if the cabling you have tied securely needs to move and bend and flex like a cable going across the wishbones, then you'll need to have some slack that is progressively tightened to prevent fatigue due to vibration and movement.

J

Mark K

Post by Mark K » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:44 am

Bolus, nice installation with the adhesive cable holders.

Did you try a zip tie gun to tighten your zip ties?  Its a ratcheting tool that makes zip ties really tight then cuts the excess when you're done.

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:51 am

[quote="Mark K"]
Bolus, nice installation with the adhesive cable holders.

Did you try a zip tie gun to tighten your zip ties?  Its a ratcheting tool that makes zip ties really tight then cuts the excess when you're done.
[/quote]

No, I need to get one though.  The ties holding the brake cables in particular seem to loosen when I drive it.  They probably just shift because of vibration to a position where they are slightly loose.  I'll probably replace them frequently when I see that they are loose.  At least zip ties are cheep!

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:13 am

Do the Amish use button ties?
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:43 pm

When cutting off cable ties, if you use a flush cut electrical side cutter, it will make a very smooth and NOT sharp end. Just don't use that sidecutter for anything else (especially not stainless steel safety wire).

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:11 pm

[quote="apollyon25"]
Sticks like s*** to a blanket.
[/quote]

Actually a brand of glue in the UK !

Ben