Trying to find/make a spacer to position the steering wheel closer. Any ideas?

Gage

Trying to find/make a spacer to position the steering wheel closer. Any ideas?

Post by Gage » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:08 am

This is my steering wheel.  It is a quick release version.    When I push the seat back far enough that I can reach the shifter comfortably, (without my elbow having to fight with the hump) the steering wheel is a little bit too far away.     

Does anyone know where I could find, or have an idea of how to make a spacer of some sort that would give me an inch and a half extention here?

Last edited by Gage on Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickpoore

Re: Trying to find/make a spacer to position the steering wheel closer. Any ideas?

Post by nickpoore » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:09 am

How about moving the seat closer, and the pedals further away.

The steering wheel is not adjustable, but the seat & pedals are.

bolus

Re: Trying to find/make a spacer to position the steering wheel closer. Any ide

Post by bolus » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:10 am

I just came across this:  www.emachineshop.com

Get a custom machined part!

Driver

Re: Trying to find/make a spacer to position the steering wheel closer. Any ideas?

Post by Driver » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:01 am

ANY competent machine shop can whip you up a spacer with three holes drilled in it. Lathe and a drill press is all you need, and maybe not even a lathe if they have the right size/thickness of round stock handy.

3Rotor

Post by 3Rotor » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:21 am

yes  very easy,  the lathe option would go over much nicer, it would look much more professional.... I guess an adjustable steering column, especially up\down, would be a very nice thing to have, even if it's not exactly settable with a leaver, but just have a variable mounting method...

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:18 am

The factory in the Uk sells them off the shelf!

Why make life difficult?
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

jon b

Post by jon b » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:08 pm

Thats right Bruce

Had one installed on my car - makes a big difference.  As i'm totally fed up trying to get my pc fixed - i have gone and taken a couple of photos for you
Attachments
s wheel 2.JPG
s wheel 2.JPG (58.67 KiB) Viewed 359 times

jon b

Post by jon b » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:08 pm

Attachments
s wheel 1.JPG
s wheel 1.JPG (69.53 KiB) Viewed 353 times

jon b

Post by jon b » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:12 pm

Looking at your seating position i'm suprised you need an extension to the wheel - I would have thought you'd be better off adjusting the pedals - and then moving the seat.

I only needed this option as i'm just over 6ft 4inch with 36inch legs.  So normal prob of huge leg room then can't quite reach the wheel perfectly

with this item though the wheel position is near perfect  :tu:

Gage

Post by Gage » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:20 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]

Why make life difficult?
[/quote]

Do you guys know if the bolt hole pattern will be the same?  Also, do they sell longer screws with it?

jon b

Post by jon b » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:23 pm

[quote="Gage"]
[quote="Bruce Fielding"]

Why make life difficult?
[/quote]

Do you guys know if the bolt hole pattern will be the same?  Also, do they sell longer screws with it?
[/quote]

Not sure - its an exact match with the standard wheel and boss

Gage

Post by Gage » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:21 pm

[quote="jon b"]
Looking at your seating position i'm suprised you need an extension to the wheel - I would have thought you'd be better off adjusting the pedals - and then moving the seat.

I only needed this option as i'm just over 6ft 4inch with 36inch legs.  So normal prob of huge leg room then can't quite reach the wheel perfectly

with this item though the wheel position is near perfect  :tu:
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion as to adjusting the pedal assembly.  There was nothing in the manual about that.  I went out and looked at the car.  It appears to be fairly simple to do.  Here are the adustment bolts and brackets:
We can move our pedals back one more notch, or exactly one inch.  That would allow us to accommodate our two drivers..and move the seat back one notch.
But, as you can see here, the distance between each seat notch is about 1 and 3/8".  We'll have to see if it will work.  It probably will.  Both of us don't like how the seat hump interferes with our elbow/arm movement.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:29 pm

Gage, if you plan on going with a spacer on the steering wheel, I suggest getting some longer bolts and a stack of washers.  Find out what works for both of you, adding or removing washers until you are both comfortable... maybe the factory spacer will work, maybe not, but washers are going to be cheaper than buying the part and finding out the hard way.