Bottoz' Atom Mods, Step #1

bolus

Re: Bottoz' Atom Mods, Step #1

Post by bolus » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:32 am

Zip ties and then a small piece of rubber to protect the frame

forcesevens

Post by forcesevens » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:34 am

It came with a horizontal aluminum bracket... I don't see how to match it up with the frame.
I've got some zip ties so I think I'll go poke around some.  thanks! :)

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:40 pm

Instead of Rubber, I used a couple layers of Black Duct Tape to protect the frame (it's all I had in the Garage at the time). Screw the horizontal mounting thingy to the gauge, and ZipTie it do the Frame. Enjoy!

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:47 pm

pretty much what I did

forcesevens

Post by forcesevens » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:20 am

[quote="Bottoz"]
I figured I'd keep everyone updated on what I'm doing with the Atom. Being a gearhead, I love to tinker with cars. The first step to any successful modification, is knowing what's going on. Is the modification actually useful, or detrimental to performance? To keep an eye on the vital signs, I've added an Aeroforce Tech Interceptor scan gauge. This gauge will display two parameters at a time. It will log 0-60, 1/4 mile, display Miles Per Gallon, Boost, RPM, MPH, Coolant Temp, Throttle Position, Air Intake temp, Air Intake temp POST Intercooler, and a few others. IMO, the most helpful will be Boost Pressure and Air Intake temp 2 (post intercooler). When the AIT2 increases, the engine pulls timimg. Pulling timing = loss of power. Keeping an eye on this parameter will let us know the efficiency of the Intercooler...
[/quote]I've been playing with the aeroforce tech interceptor and I set it to show the AIT2 and Boost Pressure.

Question..  what parameter should I monitor to watch the engine pull timing?  Sorry for being a noob. 
Last time on track I saw AIT2 hit 240F - I did feel the engine go slugglish at this point.  How can I watch the engine timing?

Also, I watched the boost peak at 18.5psi - thats awefully high isnt it?

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:35 am

Wow that's hot.  That is why our cars have power issues.  I saw up to 190F AIT2 with 70F ambient temps on the track.  I cant remember if the gauge will show timing. 

Here is what fishkiller reported on timing:
[quote="fishkiller"]
Now that I have done the WI and the temps are on the high side, I'm going to finish it off with the dual pass endplate.
My temps are now in the 150-160 range.  The WI did bring the temps down, but the dual pass will bring the temps down even further.
My motivation is that, at 140 degrees, 3 degrees of timing is pulled and at 158, 5 degrees of timing is pulled.
Without WI my temps were at 176 degrees, and 7 degrees of timing was pulled.
[/quote]

You are going to be pulling a ton of timing and loosing power. 

forcesevens

Post by forcesevens » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:42 am

[quote="bolus"]
Wow that's hot.  That is why our cars have power issues.  I saw up to 190F AIT2 with 70F ambient temps on the track.  I cant remember if the gauge will show timing. 

Here is what fishkiller reported on timing:
[quote="fishkiller"]
Now that I have done the WI and the temps are on the high side, I'm going to finish it off with the dual pass endplate.
My temps are now in the 150-160 range.  The WI did bring the temps down, but the dual pass will bring the temps down even further.
My motivation is that, at 140 degrees, 3 degrees of timing is pulled and at 158, 5 degrees of timing is pulled.
Without WI my temps were at 176 degrees, and 7 degrees of timing was pulled.
[/quote]

You are going to be pulling a ton of timing and loosing power. 
[/quote]So what parameter should I be watching?

My atom has the brammo update with the SC pulley that reduces power.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:02 am

It looks like the gauge will show ignition advance.  I dont have a way to test it without my engine in my car though :)  you could try looking at that one on the gauge. 

The heat issues are from these issues

1. Fan running the wrong direction on the aftercooler radiator.  make sure the fan pulls air upward through the radiator
2. Small radiator - no easy fix
3. Laminova tubes in the intake manifold may be in the wrong direction (they were in my car)
4. intercooler is very susceptible to air in the system.  make sure you at least have enough coolant in the intercooler system

as discussed in other threads, water injection is the best fix for now

silver

Post by silver » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:16 pm

bolus....not sure if you caught that but force got 18.5 pounds of boost with the 245hp pulley...WTF..I thought the 300 pulley only got 16.5 lbs of boost...

can you comment from your history what boost was normal on the 300 pulley?

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:21 pm

I never looked at boost on the track so Im not sure

forcesevens

Post by forcesevens » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:49 pm

[quote="bolus"]
It looks like the gauge will show ignition advance.  I dont have a way to test it without my engine in my car though :)  you could try looking at that one on the gauge. 

The heat issues are from these issues

1. Fan running the wrong direction on the aftercooler radiator.  make sure the fan pulls air upward through the radiator
2. Small radiator - no easy fix
3. Laminova tubes in the intake manifold may be in the wrong direction (they were in my car)
4. intercooler is very susceptible to air in the system.  make sure you at least have enough coolant in the intercooler system

as discussed in other threads, water injection is the best fix for now
[/quote]
Well my fan pushed air downward :(
I'm going to reverse the connection to the fan tonight.  I hope it's a DC motor that can handle that.
Wheres the laminova tubes... I'll go poke around.

McFred

Post by McFred » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:33 pm

[quote="forcesevens"]
Well my fan pushed air downward :([/quote]

Which direction does the air want to go naturally?  Is the pressure behind the main radiator lower than "under" the car?  What if you disconnect the fan, tie/tape some ribbons to the back of the radiator in a few places and head out on the highway.  Have a passenger see what the ribbons do, or maybe get someone to "chase" in another car to observe the ribbons.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:53 pm

fan fix,  just a wire switch
http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/top ... l#msg81364

The laminova tubes are in the intake manifold.  So that would be a big project
http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/top ... #msg140037

forcesevens

Post by forcesevens » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:48 am

[quote="bolus"]
fan fix,  just a wire switch
http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/top ... l#msg81364

The laminova tubes are in the intake manifold.  So that would be a big project
http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/top ... #msg140037
[/quote]
Sweet thanks bolus!!!
I almost had to cut wires and solder... this method was so much faster.
The wires took a big of scary tugging.

The airflow going up makes some much more sense.  I hear the bottom of
cars have higher pressure.

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:51 am

farther into that fan thread Terry mentions a small little tool that is needed to make it easy to remove the wires.  they have a little nub that locks them into place.  So make sure the wires are snug once you put them back because it can get bent.