Bottoz' Atom Mods, Step #1

Bottoz

Bottoz' Atom Mods, Step #1

Post by Bottoz » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:57 pm

I figured I'd keep everyone updated on what I'm doing with the Atom. Being a gearhead, I love to tinker with cars. The first step to any successful modification, is knowing what's going on. Is the modification actually useful, or detrimental to performance? To keep an eye on the vital signs, I've added an Aeroforce Tech Interceptor scan gauge. This gauge will display two parameters at a time. It will log 0-60, 1/4 mile, display Miles Per Gallon, Boost, RPM, MPH, Coolant Temp, Throttle Position, Air Intake temp, Air Intake temp POST Intercooler, and a few others. IMO, the most helpful will be Boost Pressure and Air Intake temp 2 (post intercooler). When the AIT2 increases, the engine pulls timimg. Pulling timing = loss of power. Keeping an eye on this parameter will let us know the efficiency of the Intercooler.

Installation was easy. The gauge has one cable that plugs into the the OBD2 port, and another cable that goes to 12v switched power. This second cable also has inputs for two external analog sensors. I may add Oil Temp later on. I added a wire loom to the cables for a more clean look.

Mounting is up to you. I used tape to protect the frame, and zip ties.

There are a few different colors you can order. The blue one matches nicely with out standard dash. The illumination can be reversed for day or night driving.

bolus

Re: Bottoz' Atom Mods, Step #1

Post by bolus » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:15 pm

Nice work,
any OBD-2 codes popping up for you? 

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:09 pm

Can we get a picture that shows what it looks like in daylight?

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:10 pm

Driver, sure. It's just as easy to read in the day... I just took that pic to you could see the nice color match. I'll snap a pic tomorrow while I'm at the Dyno.

bolus  - P0230 Fuel Pump Circuit and P0650 MIL indicator. AFAIK, we all have these codes.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:19 pm

I would be curious if you show any MAF codes.  You probably have the new intake and I'm wondering if that resolves these.

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:40 pm

Thanks, I'm just interested in how it looks mounted in the dash there. Supplemental gauges are on my list one day, haveto get the Atom first.

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:51 pm

No MAF codes yet... we'll see what happens tomorrow though.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:35 am

bottoz - let me know what you find out about AIT.  I'm seriously considering water injection on my car when I get it, along with more boost and some tuning  ;D

Gage

Post by Gage » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:53 am

It looks great Bottoz!  Bring on the mods!

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:34 am

Darth -  Will do. Matt Snow of Snow Performance Methanol Injection is local... and he plans on giving me one of his Methanol/Water injection kits. That'll probally be "Bottoz' Atom Mods, Step #3".  :o

Gage - I hit the Dyno tomorrow for base line/engine break in, and possibly a pulley swap if we have time.
PS.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Last edited by Bottoz on Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:15 am

I just read up on water injection, interesting concept.  I wonder if anyone has tried using ethyl chloride, a flammable refrigerant.

You guys trying to make a sub 2 second 0-60 Atom 

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:38 am

Snow performance stuff is good.  Methanol injection....  :tu:

Bolus, the problem you start to run into is #1 finding the fuel, and #2 finding a pump and lines that can contain the fuel.  Example - aquamist pumps (which are some of the best) will only tolerate up to a 50/50 mix of methanol/water.  The seals just aren't designed for something stronger.

personally - I don't like going any further than 50/50 anyway.  Something about having pure methanol running through pumps and lines that are NEVER near as good as fuel lines/injectors scares me  :-\
Last edited by DarthChicken on Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:25 pm

Oh... and do you plan on doing valve springs?  I think with the amount of torque these engines generate through all RPMs, its a waste to have the redline at 6800-7200 rpm (whatever it is).  I see no reason these engines can't be taken to 8k rpm with the smallest amount of work.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:17 pm

Im assu,ed Brammo did give us new valve springs...if all we got for the extra cash was a more aggressive tune...thats a rip :)

BTW... got my plates today... took 7 minutes. :)

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:36 pm

[quote="Jammer"]
Im assu,ed Brammo did give us new valve springs...if all we got for the extra cash was a more aggressive tune...thats a rip :)

BTW... got my plates today... took 7 minutes. :)
[/quote]

Congrats Jammer, now you just need the weather to clear :tu: