User manual for SPA dash

Karl

Re: User manual for SPA dash

Post by Karl » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:55 pm

McFred, I think the Ariel version of the SPA kitdash is "sensor gimped".  Try going through the menu options, none of the pressure options appear.

McFred

Post by McFred » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:09 pm

Sh...ucks.!  :-[  I will have to check into it tonight.  The Speedo is still off by 12% and the coolant sensor is wrong too.  if I can't fix that poor Joe or Tom will be getting more calls.

Karl

Post by Karl » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:13 pm

[quote="McFred"]
Sh...ucks.!  :-[  I will have to check into it tonight.  The Speedo is still off by 12% and the coolant sensor is wrong too.  if I can't fix that poor Joe or Tom will be getting more calls.
[/quote]

Have a look at my coolant sensor thread and let me know if you're seeing the same things.  Speedo is an easy fix.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:46 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="Bottoz"]
Odd. I got an e-mail from Tom (Brammo) stating its fine to change the circumference setting for the speed-o in the Dash. If you UK guys have an example of how to seriously damage the car by changing a few dash settings... then please share them. Sharing is Caring.
[/quote]

I consider myself something of a SPA dash 'expert' and don't see how you could damage the car, the dash is in input only display device.  You could make the speedo read incorrectly, temperature read wrong and other stuff that could indirectly damage the car (i.e. temp warning light threshold set too high so you don't notice) but nothing you can do on the dash will damage your car.  As elsewhere write down all the settings first so you can at least revert back to 'known good' after a play around.

Ben
[/quote]

As I say I'm no expert. I shall ask Simon for clarification the next time I chat to him.

What does 'Cylinders' do?

[/quote]

I suspect FA, will mess around with it on the dawn raid on Sunday and see what happens

Ben

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:39 pm

There is also the possibility that by messing with the dash you inadvertantly enter a 'SPA Engineer' access mode and this may mean that you change stuff that isnt listed in the manual.

And thats a problem.

But its just a display at the end of the day, so nothing should upset your car.
Unless as previously posted, you change a value that is for fault warning lights so that a fault is not reported...

I dont think there is a connection from the Dash to the ECU. If there was, it would definitely mean potential trouble from 'tweaking'.

J

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:46 pm

Guys... its all Logic. Yes and No type of answers. Do you want to enter SPA engineer mode... HOLD the button for 'Yes'. Press the button for 'No' to continue to the next menu option. Sure, if your 3 year old is pressing the buttons like a toy phone, then you could mess some things up. Just the dash display... not the entire engine though! If you're an educated adult that can follow simple yes and no instructions... then the chances for error are slim.
Last edited by Bottoz on Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:51 pm

Since you could drop your watch into the engine doing an oil change and forget to take it out, I think we should quit doing oil changes just to be safe  ;D

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:55 pm

[quote="bolus"]
Since you could drop your watch into the engine doing an oil change and forget to take it out, I think we should quit doing oil changes just to be safe  ;D
[/quote]

LOL right!

Don't change the tire pressure in your tires.... because you could deflate them completely and drive around on a flat!

Common sense is a good thing. Let's use it :) We're all smart fellows here... use your brains.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:54 am

It appears my work is done!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

wisp

Post by wisp » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:57 am

Bruce

I would like to clarify that I was not being sarcastic when I posted that you had warned the other forum members twice.

If I recall correctly there has already been an instance when sticky fingers have lead to a cry for help.
  http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/topic,3922.0.html

I personaly have lost count of all the machinery that I have done control setups on, whereas there are plenty of other people that can't even work a TV remote's full function set.

While there maybe some members that are quite confident at programming setups, my advice to most would be ditto yours.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:36 pm

[quote="wisp"]

If I recall correctly there has already been an instance when sticky fingers have lead to a cry for help.
  http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/topic,3922.0.html

[/quote]

that wasn't that big of an issue though.  ;)

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:49 am

[quote="bolus"]
that wasn't that big of an issue though.   ;)
[/quote]

Obviously not for you. But it seemed like Redace was pi$$ing himself untill you fixed it for him.  ;D