It's the Magnets!

Bottoz

Re: It's the Magnets!

Post by Bottoz » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:36 pm

As is mine.

Karl

Post by Karl » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:51 pm

I guess I'm going to have to make a video at some point...

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:52 pm

DO IT! Sharing is Caring.

Karl

Post by Karl » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:41 pm

I put it in MP4 format so you can easily frame-by-frame it in Quicktime:

http://www.naturalpredators.com/dash.mp4

Speeds above 20mph seem to be a bit better with respect to speedometer needle smoothness.

EDIT: This is with 6 magnets.
Last edited by Karl on Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:43 pm

Ugh... I guess it's a Honda issue. My Atom doesn't have that problem. Good luck on a solution... and share the knowledge if you come up with a fix action! :)

silver

Post by silver » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:29 am

It's not just the Honda's as my ecotec does the exact same thing, honestly I doesn't bother me because I am so rarely below 20mph that it hasn't bugged me yet, but, its only been a few days so maybe it will.....what does bug me is that I can't make my steering wheel straight, it's either slightly to the left or right, depending on which spline, but never in the middle.

Karl

Post by Karl » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:39 am

[quote="silver"]
It's not just the Honda's as my ecotec does the exact same thing, honestly I doesn't bother me because I am so rarely below 20mph that it hasn't bugged me yet, but, its only been a few days so maybe it will.....what does bug me is that I can't make my steering wheel straight, it's either slightly to the left or right, depending on which spline, but never in the middle.
[/quote]

See:

[quote="Karl"]
So for the US version, we have a Woodward hub, to which the steering wheel is attached with 3 hex-head bolts held down with blue threadlocker.  Taking the bolts and steering wheel off reveals a pattern of nine holes on the hub, essentially giving you 9 different orientations in which to bolt the wheel back on.  Now here's the kicker: the spline pattern on the quick-release mechanism is oh-so-slightly offset (e.g. even number of splines) vis-a-vis the bolt pattern at the front.  Basic technique is: unbolt the wheel, rotate 40 degrees, bolt it back on, then use the quick release to adjust it to center.  Test drive.  Lather, rinse, repeat until you find a satisfactory configuration.
[/quote]

silver

Post by silver » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:41 am

Thank you Karl you rock!!! I'm headed down to the garage right now!! :tu: :laugh:

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:45 am

ooo, that is cool.  I wondered why one steering wheel was a little off the the right and my other steering wheel to the left

silver

Post by silver » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:52 am

Well I'm back from the garage, There is no way in hell I could ever get those bolts off of the steering wheel, they must have been tightened by he-man, or the threadlocker is obviously stronger than I am, and I have a T handled allen wrench, but, it's all good, if it really bugs me, I might try again.

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:29 am

There is a SPA dash manual link in one of the threads...

Failing that, PM me and I'll email you the copy I have.
From memory you might need to adjust the corresponding setting to relate to the number of magnets you have placed.

Most likely the dash is updated after a fixed number of samples have been obtained for the speed. At low speeds this is likely to manifest itself as a slow jerky response, whereas at higher speeds the required number of samples are coming in much faster so the dash gets updated more frequently. At some point the speed of data coming in exceeds the ability to respond to it so it averages.

If it really bothers you, contact either Ariel or SPA directly and see if they have a fix or suggestion for how to improve it.

Have fun... at least you have an Atom to nitpick!

J

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:43 am

Manual link:
http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/SPA.pdf

Also available in the guides section if you are a member where it is much easier to read.
http://www.atomclub.com/content/guides.htm

Mine does it to.  First time I looked at the dash when the car was under 20mph since I got it.  ;)

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:23 am

[quote="bolus"]
Mine does it to.  First time I looked at the dash when the car was under 20mph since I got it.  ;)
[/quote]

I suspect that mine does it too... doesn't worry me in any way whatsoever
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:48 pm

Who drives at 20mph? In an Atom?

Thats it, someone take their cars off them... :police:

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:04 pm

[quote="dp35"]
The GM powered Atoms might not have this problem, because they don't use a magnet on the driveshaft.  Instead, they use the OEM sensor inside the tranny. 

Mine does do some funny stuff at low speeds, including the occasional spaz up to 160mph when barely moving, but it doesn't seem as bad as what you're describing.
[/quote]

Its tidbits like this that make this forum great.