Close to ordering, except for these equipment ?s

Lane

Close to ordering, except for these equipment ?s

Post by Lane » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:04 am

I've searched past posts and have not been able to come up with clear answers to these items -

* I've read that the sport brake package uses Wilwood "Dynalite" 4 piston caliper front, Floating PBR caliper rear, 10.3" front ventilated rotor/ 9.4" rear ventilated rotor.
First, are the PBR rear calipers single or dual piston?  How is the parking brake handled?  Is friction compound availability/variety sufficient for the PBR calipers?
Second, what's the configuration of the standard brake package?

* If I don't choose the side panels now, will the mounting tabs be there on the frame so I can consider adding them later?

* Same situation for the roll bar - are the mounting bosses incorporated into the frame tubes in the rear, and the gussets in place for the front, so the bar can be added at a later date?

Thanks!
Lane
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

Karl

Re: Close to ordering, except for these equipment ?s

Post by Karl » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:09 am

[quote="Lane"]
* If I don't choose the side panels now, will the mounting tabs be there on the frame so I can consider adding them later?
[/quote]

Generally, they have not allowed this.

For the other two questions, you'd be best off contacting Brammo directly.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:27 am

I thought the side panel mountings were built into every car?  May be I was wrong in thinking that.

The roll bar mount points are on every car so you can add it later. 

I'm not sure about the caliper but you can see them in these pics:  (I'm a big fan of upgrading the brakes as far as you can.  The demo car's sport brakes were pretty unresponsive.  People have said there were problems with that demo car's brakes  but I dont know.  But the Alcon's on my car are very nice.)

http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/top ... l#msg58513

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:18 am

There are a wide rance of pad choices for the PBR's, as they are a very common caliper/rotor size.  Unsure of the rest, but read once all mounting points are in place...as thats more stuff Brammo can sell you later!  This doesnt included the wing mounts unfortunately.

silver

Post by silver » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:45 am

I asked specifically about the tabs for the panels, and actually I got 2 answers from Brammo but the final answer is that you need to pay now to add the tabs they do not weld the tabs unless you buy the panels.  For the Roll Bar they weld in the mounting brackets regardless of if you purchase a roll bar or not.  As for the Brakes I do not have an answer, and this may not help your decision but, I along with many many others have chosen the track brakes, that way we get Wilwood front and rear, and don't have the noise or warm up (albeit slight) issues with the race brakes.  To get the most accurate answer you should definitely email Jerry Colton at Brammo.  He usually returns my emails in the afternoon, almost like clockwork.  I have decided that email is the way to go to get your answers.  I would post them very distinctly as you did here.  Do not leave room for interpretation that way you get exact answers and don't have to wait to long for them either.  Good luck

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:52 pm

So Lane, Have you placed an order yet?  How did you spec out your car?

Lane

Post by Lane » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:36 pm

[quote="bolus"]
So Lane, Have you placed an order yet?  How did you spec out your car?
[/quote]

Placed the order yesterday, wired the initial payment today. ;D ;D ;D  Went with a 300, black panels, silver 12 spokes w/ A048s, twin bubbles, light package, standard fenders, self-assembly, and sport brakes.  Everything else was basic as budget was an issue.  Chose the top motor since that's probably the most involved to upgrade to, and will examine upgrading the brakes & seats, and adding side panels myself at some time in the future.  And yes, I know everyone's opinions on brakes and hp levels as I've read the hundreds of past posts on the topic prior to making any decisions.

According to Jerry, current average delivery time is 212 days but I believe he also stated that they're working to reduce that.  I'm planning on starting the registration & insurance process so it's done prior to delivery, but haven't decided yet whether to have the car shipped or fly out and drive it back.  Plenty of time to think about it all...

Lane

silver

Post by silver » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:42 pm

Congrats Lane....NOW THE NIGHTMARE'S BEGIN, but they won't be so bad, unless you test drove the car...that's the one thing that is the best and worst thing that I have done.  It gives you the most unforgettable feeling driving this car....And therefore you think about that feeling for the next 6 months while you wait and wait and wait.....Again, congratulations.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:42 pm

niiiiiiiiiice!  Now starts the really long painful wait.  Recent cars have gone through in 180 days so I expect that average build time to come down.  Let Gage know so he can add you to the build list  http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/topic,3172.0.html

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:32 am

[quote="silver"]
I asked specifically about the tabs for the panels, and actually I got 2 answers from Brammo but the final answer is that you need to pay now to add the tabs they do not weld the tabs unless you buy the panels. [/quote]

I got the same answer that you did, with the explanation that the $400 price includes all of the work required on the frame as well as the cost of the side panels themselves.  So it's a combined price that represents a fair bit of labor cost in addition to the panels themselves.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:42 am

Lane, Welcome to the madness! Congratulations on placing your order. If you said where you were from I missed it. My car had the sport brakes originally and they are great on the street and adequate, but not outstanding on the track. I ordered an upgrade to the track brakes and will install them this weekend. I'm hoping that we will be hearing from you regularly as your car is being built and especially when you take delivery. I hope you will be able to join us at AtomFest in October. It promises to be epic. We'd love to meet you and oggle your car!

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:26 am

Thanks guys, I feel very welcome.  Cobra - I'd be very interested in pics of what's included in the brake upgrade kit as well as installation.  Speaking of brakes, anyone know the specific pads that come installed from the factory?  What type of fluid?  I'm convinced that those 2 items make more of a difference than people think.  I've been in many an "average" car on the track whose stock brakes have been transformed by carefully-selected friction material and good fluid.

I'm in Wisconsin (should be showing at the left <--- ) and I've already google-mapped Hallett and it tells me it's a 13 hour trip so that does put it within the realm of possibility and I will definitely consider it.  Depends on the timing of the actual delivery of the car and how much of my vacation time I've used up by then I suppose.

Lane

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:06 am

[quote="Lane"]
Thanks guys, I feel very welcome.  Cobra - I'd be very interested in pics of what's included in the brake upgrade kit as well as installation.  Speaking of brakes, anyone know the specific pads that come installed from the factory?  What type of fluid?  I'm convinced that those 2 items make more of a difference than people think.  I've been in many an "average" car on the track whose stock brakes have been transformed by carefully-selected friction material and good fluid....
[/quote]

Right you are. Although I couldn't get an exact Brand of fluid from Jerry... he did say that it's DOT4. I'll be changing to something with a little higher wet and dry boiling point (ATE Super Blue). The pads or the Willwoods are Wilwood 150-9413K Front and Rear. (Track Brake Package)

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:19 am

Manual just says DOT4 for brake fluid with no brands listed

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:43 am

[quote="bolus"]
Manual just says DOT4 for brake fluid with no brands listed
[/quote]

Yep, Jerry quoted me from the Manual. I was hoping he'd go on the line, pick up a bottle of brake fluid, and read me the name!