License Plate Illuminator Light - Removal? Bulb Type?

Karl

License Plate Illuminator Light - Removal? Bulb Type?

Post by Karl » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:20 am

I took some time today to check that all of my lights were working and to educate myself on their removal.  I then came across the license plate lamp, which I could not figure out how to remove other than unscrewing it from its backplate.  Does anyone know of an easier way?  Does anyone happen to know what type of bulb it takes?

Terry Kennedy

Re: License Plate Illuminator Light - Removal? Bulb Type?

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:36 am

[quote="Karl"]
I took some time today to check that all of my lights were working and to educate myself on their removal.  I then came across the license plate lamp, which I could not figure out how to remove other than unscrewing it from its backplate.  Does anyone know of an easier way?  Does anyone happen to know what type of bulb it takes?
[/quote]

I haven't taken it apart, so I can't help you there, but I do have a set of spare bulbs as part of a spare parts kit I purchased from Brammo. The license plate lamp is a Narva 17314, which is a 12V 10W SV8.5 base.

The other bulbs are a Ring 12V 21W B15s base; Classic 12V 21/5W B15d base; and a Narva 17171 12V 5W B15s base. Check to see what your car is fitted with. Also, try to get ones with the silver base instead of the brass base, or you'll have even more problems with intermittent connections.

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:42 am

And use some electrical grease in the sockets to prevent the bulb from cementing itself in there over time.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:56 am

there's a spare part kit?  wha???  I must have this now!!!  what's it come with?

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:03 am

[quote="bolus"]
there's a spare part kit?  wha???  I must have this now!!!  what's it come with?
[/quote]

If you don't need it ASAP, I'd wait for the Brammo online parts / accessories storefront (I assume it is still coming, since they advertised for a developer to build it some time ago).

Because I was driving cross-country, I asked Brammo for some suggestions as to the spares I should have, and then I wandered around the inventory with some of the Brammo folks and said "I want one of these, two of those, a handful of these..." and they totaled up the list of parts and added it to my tab. Most of the parts would be available from an auto parts store or GM part counters, but I just wanted "one-stop shopping" as I was pressed for time.

Of the specialty parts, I got a spare lug adater, a couple lug nuts, an electrical shutoff key, and a couple of the 1/4-turn fasteners. I think the rest of my spares were generic parts I could have gotten elsewhere.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:06 am

I'm gonna drive down to brammo with a grocery cart and walk around the shop filling it up with stuff. 

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:08 am

[quote="bolus"]
I'm gonna drive down to brammo with a grocery cart and walk around the shop filling it up with stuff. 
[/quote]

Please call or email first and ask - remember, I was a special case (or is that special nut-case), having one of the first cars and taking the longest trip ever in an Atom. I wouldn't want to have people expect that this was normal behavior at Brammo. On the other hand, if you really need a part that can only be sourced at Brammo, by all means ask.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:24 am

I was just joking Terry.  Though I would have liked to see their faces when they opened the door with me standing standing there with a shopping cart :)

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:49 am

[quote="bolus"]
I was just joking Terry.  Though I would have liked to see their faces when they opened the door with me standing standing there with a shopping cart :)[/quote]

Ok. But let's not give anybody else any ideas, Ok?  ;D

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:29 am

[quote="bolus"]
I was just joking Terry.  Though I would have liked to see their faces when they opened the door with me standing standing there with a shopping cart :)

[/quote]

Shopping carts can bear a resemblance to Atoms, though...

(an ad from my past...)
Attachments
DVLA%201.jpg
DVLA%201.jpg (42.58 KiB) Viewed 364 times
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:48 am

I could fit a couple of atoms in there.  I wonder if it is street legal?

hondahamster

Post by hondahamster » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:24 pm

It is pretty tall :o, i wonder how you get  :td: from there? ??? ;D

But it would be a hassle to get a ladder and then get your self down, and go back up for the groceries, again, and again :-[ :P

:D ;) ;D

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:36 pm

[quote="Karl"]
I then came across the license plate lamp, which I could not figure out how to remove other than unscrewing it from its backplate.  Does anyone know of an easier way?  Does anyone happen to know what type of bulb it takes?
[/quote]

Since I was just in there last night, I have some info to add to the record here. First, don't unscrew the 2 nuts that appear to be holding the license plate light to the frame. These 2 nuts hold the whole assembly (aluminum plate, rain light, reverse light, license plate) to the frame. And on my Atom, these are non-locking nuts with star washers.

Instead, look at the right side of the license plate light housing and you'll see a single screw head pointing at the reverse light. You need to unscrew this screw a couple turns, and then the cover of the license plate holder pivots away from there and comes off (there's a retaining tab on the left side).

On my Atom, this involves removing the reverse light.