What are the known differences between the UK and USA Ariel Atom?

Terry Kennedy

Re: What are the known differences between the UK and USA Ariel Atom?

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:04 am

[quote="dingo"]US Pedal set is Willwood as far as those I've seen v Tilton for UK.  Also I have a feeling that some fiddling with master brake cylinder sizing has taken place.  Perhaps the UK and US are similar on that front now. [/quote]

The pedal set simply depends on what was available when your car was built. My Atom (Brammo 285, original batch) has the Tilton assembly in it, but I need to swap out the clutch master cylinder to deal with my air issue, and the parts Brammo sent along are Wilwood. They're apparently completely interchangeable.

Regarding brake components, I don't know if the master cylinder varies depending on what brake calipers are fitted. If so, then it would be different from the UK Atoms for at least some configurations.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:41 am

[quote="KenAZUSA"]
My car's radiator fan is behind the radiator. I think the fan in front protects the radiator, and I'm thinking about some type of protection that won't hurt the airflow.

My number is 00014.

I'm a mechanical and forum novice.....where can I find the specs I should have for my alignment? Do i give it to the guys in my shop and ask them to "align it", or do I give them the specs that came with the car and say "match it" or?

The car looks to me like it sits on the inside edges of front and rear (it's pretty obvious) I have A048's on it.

I also just realized that my A.D.D. strikes me everytime I write here - I always have to go back and modify my post.
[/quote]

Hi Ken.

In the guides area of the members section of the club site you'll find details on setup.

It's here:
http://www.atomclub.com/content/guides.htm,105

But you have to have the site open and be logged in as a member not to see the 404
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

kenazusa

Post by kenazusa » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:47 pm

Thanks, Bruce.

My pedal set are Alcon's.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:15 pm

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
Regarding brake components, I don't know if the master cylinder varies depending on what brake calipers are fitted. If so, then it would be different from the UK Atoms for at least some configurations.
[/quote]

I originally purchased the sport brake package. Have now ordered the Track Package. Brammo told me that pretty much the only thing that stays on the car is the brake lines. New rotors, new calipers, new e-brake setup, new master cylinders, etc. It even requires changing out the rear uprights. Since I will need new ones for slicks, one change will handle it for both issues.

dingo

Post by dingo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:12 pm

Does anyone know whether Brammo sells an exhaust with catalytic converter ? 
The two US spec. cars I went for a drive with over this past weekend (before the snow) did not have them and I forgot to ask the owners. 
As this might be a universal US \ UK difference, I thought I'd post the question here.

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:18 pm

I believe the CC Test Pipe on the option list replaces the straight pipe that comes standard. ? It's on the Chassis tab of the Configurator.

dingo

Post by dingo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:21 pm

Driver, thanks.  Does anyone have a pic of the CC on a US car then? 
If so, would you post it please? 
I'd like to see where it fits.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:44 pm

[quote="dingo"]
[/quote]

You can see it here, oriented near vertical, directly behind the muffler and license plate mount.

It's really small and almost unnoticeable. It softens the exhaust note noticeably. My car was delivered with it installed and I replaced it with the factory "test pipe" that was purchased at the same time.

dingo

Post by dingo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:58 pm

Ah yes.  I remember now.  On to another question. As UK cars have had such repeated issues with the braided flex joint failing,
Ariel MoCo Ltd. has changed to supplying a sleeve / connection right there retained by springs.  Has anyone heard of Brammo moving that way?   
Last edited by dingo on Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:25 pm

By all reports the Brammo doesn't vibrate as much as the UK Ariel. i wonder if it's much of an issue on their chassis?

Pet Project: Get everyone to Voluntarily list locale (general or specific) where it shows up in thier posts. Click Here to Learn How.

dingo

Post by dingo » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:04 pm

Brake and clutch fluid reservoirs of the US model are in the center of the car at the front cross member, right above the front bulkhead.
In the UK car, they're immediately in front of the driver on top of the steering shaft. 
Access to the US reservoirs is from a cutout in the top cover, concealed beneath the bonnet \ hood. So ready access is improved. 

Gage

Post by Gage » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:24 pm

Nice point Dingo.  Thank you.

Myerfire48

Post by Myerfire48 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:32 am

[quote="dingo"]
[/quote]

My car was shipped without the CC, Brammo has told me they had some issues with them clogging and have stopped shipping cars with them.  I actually would like one as I'm sure it would quiet the car down a bit.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:15 am

[quote="Myerfire48"]
I actually would like one as I'm sure it would quiet the car down a bit.
[/quote]
Mine is on the shelf with about 1,000 miles on it. Looks like new inside, a little heat coloration on the outside. It definitely atenuates the sound and reduces or eliminates the cackle. Make me an offer...

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:44 am

Hmm, as I see it, i paid for one with my order, expect one, and need one for my inspection.  I hope they include it, installed or not.  Sounds like a cost reduction though, as a high flow cat is 200-300 bucks sometimes.