Yokohama AVS vs A048

shoco

Yokohama AVS vs A048

Post by shoco » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:28 am

What is the subjective difference?  I will be new to autocrossing having previously just been a drag racer.  I figure I will probably ruin the first set of tires learning so why should I chew through the more expensive ones first?  I can't possibly expect to go fast at first.  Having owned a 93 and 98 viper, I am ready for a light tossable car instead of a heavy and snap oversteer prone one.  I ordered the car two weeks ago and this and the side panels are the only question in my mind for possible debate

RichardR

Re: Yokohama AVS vs A048

Post by RichardR » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:53 am

Basically the A048's will give quite a lot more grip when warm, but won't be as progressive as the AVs's when they do go.  The Exige I'm running has the A048s and it has loads of grip but drops off very rapidly on the limit. Difficult to learn/catch unless you're a pretty good driver.

Other differences:  AVS will be better in the wet (more tread), and will  wear much slower.

If you're a decent driver and will be mainly driving it in warm dry weather go for the A048s. If you want to learn, or drive in the cold/wet get the AVS's.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:18 am

This session was run on A048's on a 70 degree day. My car was delivered with the ES-100's and seemed hooked up on the street until I switched to the 48's. There was an immediate improvement in grip and I realized how much the rear tires had been spinning. As to recovery, the 48's may not be as good as the Es-100's but I would not consider them bad in that department. Take a look at the video and see what you think.

toby

Post by toby » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:31 am

Great video! What track is that? You were chasing down everything! Nice driving. :tu:

Matt F

Post by Matt F » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:48 pm

That's some nice driving, 1965Cobra427!

I love the Traqmate GPS based data acquisition system.  Why is the tachometer not hooked up?

--Matt

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:29 pm

The Track is Hallett Motor Racing Circuit near Tulsa, Oklahoma which by the way is the venue for AtomFest in October, 2007. Read more about it here http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/topic,2901.0.html

I love the Traqmate system. I had just received it a day or so before and had time just to mount the black box, gps antenna, etc. I'll have the tach connected next time.

shoco

Post by shoco » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:40 pm

So 1965COBRA , Overall you prefer them to the AVS 100's ? .  Nice system.  Nice driving.  Can't wait.  Thanks for the info.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:24 pm

[quote="shoco"]
So 1965COBRA , Overall you prefer them to the AVS 100's ? .  Nice system.  Nice driving.  Can't wait.  Thanks for the info.
[/quote]

Yes, my plan is A048's for the street and occasional track days and Hancook slicks (spec'd by Brammo) for serious track days.

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:55 pm

Sagen just posted pics of his new Atom, recently delivered. It shows the BFGood's as replacements to the AO48's. I'm dissappointed. The Yokohama is an R-compound tire with a tread wear rating of 60 while the BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW has a rating of 300. Thumbs Down Brammo. Subing a street tire for a track R-compound tire is no good.  >:(

Anyone have details on this situation?

IMO, an equally priced equally performing substitute is the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup or Nitto NT01... not some 35,000 mile rated street tire.
Last edited by Bottoz on Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:10 am

Bottoz,

In the thread Sagen mention this "The BF Goodrich's are replacements for the Yoko AO48's.  Apparently the universe has run out of the Yoko's.  Supposedly they are tooling up for another run, but at the time they were supposed to be two months out before Brammo could get them, and who knows how solid that date was. "

I wouldn't wait 2 months either.  Better to get the car with what ever tire is available and then add the A048's later

Karl

Post by Karl » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:57 am

I've submitted to Brammo the idea of using the Pilot Sport Cups instead with a 225/45/17 rear in place of the normal 215/45/17.  This isn't an insignificant increase in size given the tight fender clearance, however, and so it's not as easy as I'd hoped.

Meanwhile, what is Lotus equipping their new cars with?  Hopefully not BFGoodrich tires?

Karl

Post by Karl » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:13 am

Brammo says super no-go on the 225/45/17.  They advise to stick as close to the specified overall tire diameter of 24" as possible.  Oh Simon, why couldn't you have designed for 25"...

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:34 am

if they start changing tire diameter, etc.. on a case by case basis it just complicates computer and odometer setup for each one that is different. Can't really blame them for picking a size and sticking with it. Did you ask if you could just order fenders that have an additional .5" clearance (taller)?

Karl

Post by Karl » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:07 am

Actually, they said that reprogramming the speedometer/odometer is the easy part, and that making the fenders fit is the hard part.  They insisted that they've tested 225/45/17 and that it doesn't work unless you take the rear fenders off.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:33 am

This is America, we have saw zalls.