Interested in custom OBD-II support for the Ecotec Atom?

Would you be interested in an OBD-II scanner customized for the Ecotec Atom?

Poll runs till Thu Aug 20, 2043 2:49 am
You may select 1 option

View results

Terry Kennedy

Interested in custom OBD-II support for the Ecotec Atom?

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:24 am

I am trying to judge the interest in a PC-based (Windows) OBD-II package which would have custom support for the Atom, as well as support for generic OBD-II data. The Atom support would include the ability to read the various sensors on the car, including live graphing and recording of up to 6 parameters. This would include all the engine management and transmission management info. Further, you'd have the ability to run Ecotec-specific tests such as running the engine at a specific RPM, cutting out fuel injectors, turning the fuel pump on and off, and so forth - pretty much everything a GM shop computer could do. This would also have the ability to read and clear fault codes, like a regular OBD-II scanner.

Note that I'm not selling these - I'm simply trying to judge the potential market and get the vendor to work with Brammo on implementing this in a product.

bolus

Re: Interested in custom OBD-II support for the Ecotec Atom?

Post by bolus » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:31 am

It would be of particular interest to me if there was a way it could get rid of the known problem codes to get me through OBD testing required during Oregon's emmission testing. 

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:37 am

Terry, have you seen the AeroForce Tech Interceptor? It's a single or dual guage setup, that plugs into the OBD-II port. With a single guage, you can display 2 parameters in real time. With the dual guage, of course it's 4. You can monitor (in real time) Boost, IAT2 (air after the SC and Intercooler), IAT1, RPM, Speed, MPG, O2 Sensor voltage, Engine Coolant Temp,... and many more. You can also set it up as a Shift Light. I'll be getting one or two soon.

You can also read and erase codes, and set it up to time 0-60 and *wink* 1/4 times. :)

Single guage setup is $229, dual is $399.
Last edited by Bottoz on Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:59 am

[quote="bolus"]
It would be of particular interest to me if there was a way it could get rid of the known problem codes to get me through OBD testing required during Oregon's emmission testing. 
[/quote]

A regular scanner (like the ones AutoZone and similar places use) will clear any active codes - but if the codes come back, they'll still show up at inspection. Further, some codes hang around for up to 40 successful (no faults logged) warm-up cycles.

Where this tool would help is to let you run tests (as opposed to just watching) to see why the faults are activating in the first place.

I'm working with Brammo to try to get as many of the fixable faults dealt with. I don't know how successful that will be - a lot depends on how much free time they have (not much!) and how willing GM is to make new software.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:01 am

[quote="Bottoz"]
Terry, have you seen the AeroForce Tech Interceptor? It's a single or dual guage setup, that plugs into the OBD-II port. With a single guage, you can display 2 parameters in real time. With the dual guage, of course it's 4. You can monitor (in real time) Boost, IAT2 (air after the SC and Intercooler), IAT1, RPM, Speed, MPG, O2 Sensor voltage, Engine Coolant Temp,... and many more. You can also set it up as a Shift Light. I'll be getting one or two soon.

You can also read and erase codes, and set it up to time 0-60 and *wink* 1/4 times. :)

Single guage setup is $229, dual is $399.
[/quote]

The tool I'm looking at will do far more than that for less than $250 (if you already have a PC). What I'm trying to do is convince the manufacturer that it is worthwhile to do a module to monitor / control the functions that aren't in the "everybody does these for emissions regulations" OBD-II set.