Billet bellcranks?

KK

Re: Billet bellcranks?

Post by KK » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:33 am

[quote="bolus"]
It would be cool if we had a whole section dedicated for product reviews.  Because a link like this will get baried and be difficult to find later. 
[/quote]
Especially when the serach function is not up to its job - see this thread: Is the serach function broken on the forum? :(

dp

Post by dp » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:12 am

just for laughs i measured the stock steel bellcrank, created a solidworks model and ran a quick analysis.  with a 2,000 lb load applied at the suspension (about 5g if we are talking about a rear wheel, putting roughly 3,400 lbs on the pushrod) the part still had a 1.4 safety factor.  granted, there are some limitations on how constraints and loads are applied but it's a pretty good rough evaluation.  so overall it looks like about an 8g design which is about right (in an impact situation you WANT the suspension to fail before chassis bends - at this load the shock would be bottomed out and bump stop fully compressed).

the analysis does assume that all the bolts are properly tightened.  if the shock bolt or pushrod bolt is loose the part will bend at much lower loads.

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:01 am

dp. that's interesting.  When I did my engineering the computational stuff was all pretty nascent, so it's great to see how accesible it is nowadays. 

If I read it right the red areas are the points of highest stress.  Is there a way of distinguishing tensile vs compressive stress in the piece other than by intuition?

What would happen to the stress riser/load concentration if the indented bit was straightened out (i.e. make the piece more of a triangle if that makes sense). 

I'm also slightly surprised that there isn't more tensile stress along the short side of the crank (between what I take to be the pivot point and the pushrod attachement point). 

I also assume that the model assumes that the forces on the piece act in a single plane (i.e. there is no force component in the axis of the bell crank pivot).  I've not really looked at the suspension geometry to establish if the pushrod (or in fact the damper) is always in perfect allignment with the crank - I suspect that this might makequite a difference to the pattern too. 

Anyway, fun to see the analysis. 

dp

Post by dp » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:00 pm

correct, the red is the highest stress and blue is lowest (see scale on the right) and the only way to distinguish compressive and tensile is by intuition.  the loads are in-plane (these are some of the limitations i mentioned, there are others as well).  the alignment of the suspenson is actually pretty good so there isn't a lot of off-axis component, but some is there.  i don't think it's a very large factor overall, though it would contribute to earlier failure in extreme cases.

yes, making it more of a triangle or even just increasing the radius in the highest-stress area would make it considerably stronger.  i initially thought that the crank is shaped this way to clear the shock at full extension except the shock doesnt extend far enough for it to be an issue.  maybe previous versions did?  i can only guess.

anyway, as i mentioned this wasn't meant to be a definitive analysis, just a rough pass to get a feel for whether design is reasonable or marginal.  that's all i use simulations for - to get a reality check and do some simple optimization (like relieving the stress risers).  and of course to make pretty pictures :) 

when i designed the aluminum bellcranks for the dp1 i found that the rodend pivot would yield at 4g in original design because the material was too thin in that spot so after simulation i made the part thicker and sized it for 8g.  the simulation was quite useful for that.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:39 pm

I think the billet cranks are/were found to fail at 6g (at least in the iteration I saw in its design stage).

Myerfire48

Post by Myerfire48 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:51 am

Fascinating stuff, if a bit over my head.  If you geniuses figure out something better than my man-bling billet rbbc send me one so I can test it.  Um but make sure its man pretty, I'm vain.