Towing an Atom

DarthChicken

Re: Towing an Atom

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:05 pm

Thats exactly what I wanted to do Bruce.  Then have a trailer buit up that follows the lines of the atom, for tires, gas, tools, food, chairs, etc... you know, track day essentials. 

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:28 pm

I think Andy even has designs for that. He was going to chop the back off a chassis that had had the front end bent.

Not sure what happened to that project, though
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:03 am

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:41 pm

[quote="Spanky"]
  I just realized a pair of taller tires won't work because of the fixed fenders.

[/quote]

I believe those can be removed.

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:44 pm

[quote="bolus"]
Oh,  well both Brammo and Ariel have advised against attaching a tow hook to the back of an Atom even for something light weight like a motorcycle trailer.  You are just going to have to find a big truck and a trailer built for two :)
[/quote]

That's what I figured.  But sometimes if you don't ask the really stupid questions, you end up doing something really stupid instead!

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:22 pm

[quote="Spanky"]
bolus,

Thanks for the photo!  That confirms what I thought was possible. Is it the best way? Maybe not, but is it do-able.

Questions;

What is the towel for on the center of the dolly? A temporary drying rack, or some kind of pad for loading?

Does the Atom continue to register the miles on the odometer while being towed with this dolly?

Does this guy put any protection on the lowest cross tube between the rear wheels? Like a piece of PVC pipe, split along its length?

What do you think of the idea of getting a pair of larger than stock wheels with a taller profle tire used just for towing? It would increace the clearance off the road and keep miles off the A048 track tires.

[/quote]

I just came across this picture on the net so I posted it here.  I dont know anything about the guy but it looks like he has success towing his atom with a dolly :)

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:44 pm

[quote="bolus"]
I just came across this picture on the net so I posted it here.  I dont know anything about the guy but it looks like he has success towing his atom with a dolly :)
[/quote]

There's a clue on the previous page...

[quote="dingo"]
No permanent damage was done using a towing dolly plus Atom II behind my wife's 1.8t Audi A4. (mannual tranny) 
[/quote]

And that's him in the picture I believe...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:45 pm

Don't normal cars being towed on a Dolly rely on the built in steering lock to keep the front wheels pointing in the right direction.  Could this be a problem for the Atom ?

Ben

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:01 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="bolus"]
[/quote]

There's a clue on the previous page...

[quote="dingo"]
No permanent damage was done using a towing dolly plus Atom II behind my wife's 1.8t Audi A4. (mannual tranny) 
[/quote]

And that's him in the picture I believe...
[/quote]

That was posted in October... I cant remember every post :)  Dingo, I can take down the pic if you want.  funny that I came across it randomly. 

forcesevens

Post by forcesevens » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:16 am

I just towed my atom on a a 1800lb trailer with an 07 odyssey :D

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:38 am

3200lbs  plus the weight of the Odyssey/gear.. I wouldn't trust that transaxle to last long.I suppose in flat country..
Last edited by MadMaxedAtom on Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

forcesevens

Post by forcesevens » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:43 am

[quote="MadMaxedAtom"]
3200lbs  plus the weight of the Odyssey/gear.. I wouldn't trust that transaxle to last long.I suppose in flat country..
[/quote]It's just within the towing capacity of 3500.  I bought the towing package with tranny cooler.
It's still under warranty :D

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:49 am

Let's just say I would not tow that on a regular basis.Especially in warm weather.They are a good fwd mini van,but no way near up to the task of towing much.

forcesevens

Post by forcesevens » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:53 am

[quote="MadMaxedAtom"]
Let's just say I would not tow that on a regular basis.Especially in warm weather.They are a good fwd mini van,but no way near up to the task of towing much.
[/quote]I just picked up a v8 tundra double cab for it :)

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:05 am

NOW you're talkin! :tu: :tu: