Slicks and rear uprights

1965Cobra427

Slicks and rear uprights

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:07 pm

I have every intention of running slicks on my car for trackdays and have visited with Brammo on the subject. They have recommended a particular tire and I have them on order, but have decided to delay on their advise.

The Brammo engineering department has a concern over the rear upright when operating at track loadings that are possible with full slicks. It seems that while the A048's generate side loading for the track that falls within the performance envelope of the standard upright, slicks can produce an overstress condition.

Brammo is working on an uprated part and I have placed my tire/wheel order on hold until the new components are available. I am only mentioning this in case there are others out there planning on using slicks at the track and have not consulted Brammo on the subject.
Last edited by 1965Cobra427 on Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Driver

Re: Slicks and rear uprights

Post by Driver » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:38 pm

Once they engineer the part, think it will become standard or another option for people to, yet again, change their order form? ;)

RichardR

Post by RichardR » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:42 pm

There are several UK Atoms that raced  on slicks with no problems. I take it the current Brammo part is similar to the Ariel part.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:45 pm

[quote="Driver"]
Once they engineer the part, think it will become standard or another option for people to, yet again, change their order form? ;)
[/quote]

I have found them to be VERY concientious. They might make it standard and adjust the base price a bit. Of course this type of engineering is right in line with the goal of having a sanctioned racing program for Atoms.

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:49 pm

Agreed. Likely their take on it may be the same as when they made the RBBC's standard.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:49 pm

[quote="RichardR"]
There are several UK Atoms that raced  on slicks with no problems. I take it the current Brammo part is similar to the Ariel part.
[/quote]

I'm not sure what the extent of Brammo's testing was, but I trust their engineering. I have a pro driver lined up to run the car after it is equipped with slicks, big brakes and the new C/F aero package. I don't want to take any chances.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

[quote="Jammer"]
[quote="1965Cobra427"]
I have every intention of running slicks on my car for trackdays and have visited with Brammo on the subject. They have recommended a particular tire and I have them on order, but have decided to delay on their advise.

The Brammo engineering department has a concern over the rear upright when operating at track loadings that are possible with full slicks. It seems that while the A048's generate side loading for the track that falls within the performance envelope of the standard upright, slicks can produce an overstress condition.

Brammo is working on an uprated part and I have placed my tire/wheel order on hold until the new components are available. I am only mentioning this in case there are others out there planning on using slicks at the track and have not consulted Brammo on the subject.
[/quote]

I wouldn't worry about it. Call Tom and get his input. Trust me, Brammo wants every customer to be very happy AND safe.

Thanks... and I'll admit, Im a bit bummed... I have already ordered and received my slicks... and I have a25 days left to get the car!
[/quote]

Moysey

Post by Moysey » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:30 pm

[quote="Jammer"]
Thanks... and I'll admit, Im a bit bummed... I have already ordered and received my slicks... and I have a25 days left to get the car!
[/quote]

Jammer, can you tell us what type/size I.E. - all information, about the slicks that you ordered?

Myerfire48

Post by Myerfire48 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:14 am

I believe that engineering on the new upright is actually underway, however, it involves more than just the upright.  It goes hand in hand with the wheel bearing/hub issue that some of the UK cars have had problems with, especially those driven to the edge of thier performance envelope.  I was told my car was one of the first to roll off the line with Brammos new in-house machined rear hub, which is the first step in the improvement of this component group. I would expect the improvement to the upright be an unannounced refinement that will just start being used, much like the hubs on my car.  I would expect that earlier cars that experience any problems here would be resolved without dispute as well. 

As for running slicks, I think I have plenty to learn with this car before I need to take it to that level.  the R-compound tires (A048s) are plenty enough grip on this car for me for now.  I expect that I will find myself running thru a few sets of these tires before I graduate to slicks.  For me there is plenty of improvement I can make as a driver before I really need to look for more grip, besides power oversteer is fun!

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:28 am

[quote="Moysey"]
[quote="Jammer"]
[/quote]

Jammer, can you tell us what type/size I.E. - all information, about the slicks that you ordered?
[/quote]

I'd have to visit my storage unit to see exactly, I think they are Hoosier R6.. 245 16/ 225/15's, but they may be 225 and 205  ... I'll post up once I confirm.  They are Dot-R compound