Brake honesty

07Atom

Re: Brake honesty

Post by 07Atom » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:30 am

[quote="Jammer"]
Bruce, I understand... My normal race car is 3100 lbs, and there is a big difference. My point here was not to argue a point, or defend my usage or anything other than to try to get anyone in the world who might know... what race pads for those Alcons cost and what options were out there.  I got more than I asked for, but I guess that is what forums are all about. I upgraded from sport to race brakes based on the opinions... was just searchin up some facts since Brammo didnt offer specifics.
[/quote]

Hm... you asked Brammo and they didn't tell you how much the race package pads would run you?  ???

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:41 pm

[quote="07Atom"]
[quote="Jammer"]
Bruce, I understand... My normal race car is 3100 lbs, and there is a big difference. My point here was not to argue a point, or defend my usage or anything other than to try to get anyone in the world who might know... what race pads for those Alcons cost and what options were out there.  I got more than I asked for, but I guess that is what forums are all about. I upgraded from sport to race brakes based on the opinions... was just searchin up some facts since Brammo didnt offer specifics.
[/quote]

Hm... you asked Brammo and they didn't tell you how much the race package pads would run you?  ???
[/quote]

Im not that interested in using Brammo as my sole supplier of race pads... so I am not interested in their price.  Heck, they are charging me $171 for a gas cap.    I, at this point, having got no answers , even after emailing brammo for info...am going back to track brake set-up where I know what I need, have plenty of options and know the expected costs. I feel better. I will drag my foot if i need to stop faster. If the Wilwoods are not up to the task, I will then investigate other options. Thanks all.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:40 pm

I'm sure it's a standard Alcon caliper Jammer... I don't know that I would not upgrade my pads because you aren't getting a response from Brammo.  When I'm down there in 2 weeks (!) I'll make sure and ask the question... and not leave until I get an answer, ok?  I'm in the same boat as you, and I don't intend on using brammo for pads either.

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:13 pm

Never have understood why the Alcons and AP pads are usually 2x what any of the competition is in the market.  Is their really that much different between them and something like the Brembo?
Last edited by Driver on Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:16 pm

Jammer,

I would contact Tom Smurzynski at Brammo ( tom@brammo.com )  He is the guy that took me on my test drive.  He is the one that tests the car out of the track and was the guy that had the car out at the GM proving grounds recently.  He is the one that does the ~30 mile shake down drive after your car is built to fine tune the brakes and suspension, etc.    He is the one that will help you tune your car to what environment you want to drive it in.  When ever I have technical questions everyone at Brammo points me to Tom.  Plus he is a really nice guy and is tremendously enthusiasic about the car. 

I spoke with Brammo yesterday and they said the alcon's come with standard alcon pads (though the person I talked to could not give me the exact model off the top of his head).  They are not yet selling the pads separately at this point because no one has needed them yet.  So it would be a special order and so they dont know the price or model off the top of their head.  They get the Alcon's all together as a package. 

Darth, make sure you meet with Tom during your visit.  He will be the one to answer any questions about how to best set up the car for the track. 
Last edited by bolus on Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:56 pm

It is sure difficult to find more info about these alcon pads (especially with the Alcon website down)

This may be what we are looking for but no description:
http://www.sdpc2000.com/search.asp?sear ... &doquery=1

$252

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:26 pm

[quote="Jammer"]
Heck, they are charging me $171 for a gas cap.
[/quote]

If you were a club member you'd know where to get them for around half that...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

patentshark

Post by patentshark » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:33 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]

[/quote]

the only problem is that there was allegedly a potential parts shortage for the standard gas cap so an upgrade was somewhat required, depending on how close your order was to completion.

McFred

Post by McFred » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:57 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]If you were a club member you'd know where to get them for around half that...[/quote]

Just google or default to places like Aircraft Spruce:
http://aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/fuel_caps.html

If you know the dimensions it is pretty easy to find one cheaper.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:48 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="Jammer"]
Heck, they are charging me $171 for a gas cap.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Utter Extortion!

:)

As stated above.. theres a "shortage" of the standard caps... so if you want a gas cap, or to  pick up a running car.. or to be able to pick up a running car that has been appropriately road tested...you need  a $171 gas cap....  I'm sure there is a route around it, but thats not the point....

I WAS TRYING TO MAKE A POINT>>> NOT TALK ABOUT PLACES TO BUY GAS CAPS>

I think my greasy hands and previously nicotine stained fingers disallow proper communication with the level of sophistication and the tea and crumpets lifestyle I have walked into here.  Of course this does not apply to all.
Uggg
Last edited by Jammer on Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Driver

Post by Driver » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:49 pm

The price of the gas cap or the plug for them to join the club? Both?

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:58 pm

[quote="Jammer"]
I think my greasy hands and previously nicotine stained fingers disallow proper communication with the level of sophistication and the tea and crumpets lifestyle I have walked into here.  Of course this does not apply to all.
Uggg
[/quote]LOL! It's funny 'cause it's true.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:41 pm

[quote="Driver"]
The price of the gas cap or the plug for them to join the club? Both?
[/quote]

I luv you man.