Brake honesty

07Atom

Re: Brake honesty

Post by 07Atom » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:53 pm

[quote="Jammer"]
[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
[quote="bolus"]
Jammer, Craig told me we get a list of recommended consumables - like brake pads - when we get the car.  Also, Brammo's upcoming online store will also sell them too. 
[/quote]

Yup, it is in the owner's manual. It has a list of parts, both by Brammo part numbers, and (where applicable) the manufacturer's name and part number.
[/quote]

Thanks

I guess my concern is the cost of Alcon fitting pads, as I will burn alot of them, verse cost of pads for the wilwoods.
[/quote]

It wouldn't make much of a difference in my decision, but it'd be nice to know... anyone have any idea?

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:05 pm

True, I guess it wont change my decision, but I dont like to be unknowingly hammered.

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:16 am

Silly questions.

Surely the rate of pad wear is much more dependant on the pad compound than the calipers that they are installed in?

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:06 am

I dont get the damn issue guys. Not a silly question. I road race, I use race compound. I race alot...I want to know weather Im paying $250 a set or $500... this shouldnt be that hard.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:07 am

Depends on the exact caliper used, but I searched google and came up with $275-300 for the Alcons, and $75 or so for the wilwoods.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:12 am

Thanks Darth!  Congrats on the order BTW.  It just seems we have so little info on out cars, the parts used and parts availabale...and tech help here is limited at this pint, understandably I suppose.

I think its fair to know if my front pads are $348.50 a pair vs. $99.25 .Burning through  2 sets a month is more than likely with my local track, Watkins Glen International .
Last edited by Jammer on Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:41 am

Jammer, I think we can also go to the source at Brammo too.  Next time I talk to Craig I'll ask if I can get a copy of the recommended parts and see if he would be okay with me posting them here.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:59 am

[quote="Jammer"]
Burning through  2 sets a month is more than likely with my local track, Watkins Glen International .
[/quote]

Do you think you're reining in a 5000lb car? No way you'lll get that kind of brake wear with an Atom unless you're using slices of  sponge cake for brake pads. And sponge cake is quite cheap!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

07Atom

Post by 07Atom » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:57 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="Jammer"]
Burning through  2 sets a month is more than likely with my local track, Watkins Glen International .
[/quote]

Do you think you're reining in a 5000lb car? No way you'lll get that kind of brake wear with an Atom unless you're using slices of  sponge cake for brake pads. And sponge cake is quite cheap!
[/quote]

I completely agree, Bruce...

Unless you're tracking your car EVERY day during that month, it would be VERY difficult to burn through 2 sets a month, especially if they're a harder, track-intended compound.  This car weighs 1,000 lbs!! Even so, I don't think the Alcon package is overkill (no such thing), but assuming you're going to go through brake pads so fast on such a light car, even if you were to use softer compounds, does sound a little ridiculous to me..  :)

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:07 pm

On prices.
I've been able to research the Wilwoods, and they are about $45 a pair, so $90 for the entire car.
Nic

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:00 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="Jammer"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I tried using sponge cake for brake pads last night.  Not recommended.  Almost hit a wall before stopping...the smell of burning sugar was rather wierd, too.

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:25 pm

[quote="nicpore"]
On prices.
I've been able to research the Wilwoods, and they are about $45 a pair, so $90 for the entire car.
Nic
[/quote]What model pads? Thats pretty cheap.... well cheaper than the HP Plus pads I normally use.

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:51 pm

[quote="Bottoz"]
[quote="nicpore"]
On prices.
Nic
[/quote]What model pads? Thats pretty cheap.... well cheaper than the HP Plus pads I normally use.
[/quote]

From what I can figure out, the Wilwood brake package uses Dynalite calpiers.  (The ArielAtom website pretty much says that they are.)
http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Cal ... /index.asp

These calipers use the 7112 brakepads here:
http://brakepads.wilwood.com/06-illustr ... /7112.html

I've been told that the BP-10 pads are good for street, and the E pads are good for track.
Not sure if this is good advice for an Atom though, as I don't know what difference the weight would make.
http://brakepads.wilwood.com/02-graphs/eqbp10.html

Pricing:
BP-10 (150-8850K)
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?sourc ... a=N&tab=wf
E (15E-6096K)
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?sourc ... a=N&tab=wf

This post is an opinion.
I have no first hand knowledge as I don't own an Atom, and have no experience with Wilwood brakes.
It's just information I have come across while doing research.

Nic.
Last edited by nickpoore on Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:26 pm

Nic, thanks for the info :tu:

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:17 pm

Bruce, I understand... My normal race car is 3100 lbs, and there is a big difference. My point here was not to argue a point, or defend my usage or anything other than to try to get anyone in the world who might know... what race pads for those Alcons cost and what options were out there.  I got more than I asked for, but I guess that is what forums are all about. I upgraded from sport to race brakes based on the opinions... was just searchin up some facts since Brammo didnt offer specifics.