What is a test pipe?

ebeck

What is a test pipe?

Post by ebeck » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:37 pm

Does anyone know what a test pipe is and what advantage does it give?  Will it be tougher to pass an emmissions test with one ?

Bottoz

Re: What is a test pipe?

Post by Bottoz » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:41 pm

A Test pipe is simply the Catalytic Converter deleted. Instead of the Cat, you get a straight Pipe. If emissions are required to register you Atom, then you will more than likely NOT pass the emissions test.

Matt F

Post by Matt F » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:14 pm

Not exactly.  If you order the test pipe , you get the cat fitted to your Atom, along with the straight-through test pipe in a box.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:28 pm

I'm pretty sure the advantage is that giant flames will shoot out of the back of the car.  But that usually does not go over well when you are getting emission testing  :)

Driver

Post by Driver » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:02 pm

[Homer Simpson voice] mmmm... F l a m e s... [end]

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:20 pm

[quote="Matt F"]
Not exactly.  If you order the test pipe , you get the cat fitted to your Atom, along with the straight-through test pipe in a box.
[/quote]Seriously Matt? Brammo just gives you a hollow pipe for you to put on yourself? Either way, I ordered my with the Cat Included. I can easily delete the cat when it gets here.

Matt F

Post by Matt F » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:50 am

Very seriously.  It's not simply a "pipe" (a piece of "tubing" is more accurate) but it has flanges that can be bolted right in place of the cat.  Go for it.  There's no way easier of replacing the cat for the price.

bolus' claims of flames is insanse.

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:18 am

I'm not insane  ???  I expect my atom to do this: 
:D

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:00 am

Mounts to the output flange of the header. Here's what it looks like installed.

From passenger side: Image

From below:Image

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:08 am

[quote="Matt F"]
Very seriously.  It's not simply a "pipe" (a piece of "tubing" is more accurate) but it has flanges that can be bolted right in place of the cat.  Go for it.  There's no way easier of replacing the cat for the price.

bolus' claims of flames is insanse.
[/quote]

Um... Mine shoots out the occasional flash I'm told) especially in traffic through town. And I've seen Atoms on octane booster do it on the overrun, too...

But flames? Maybe in the dreams of buck rodgers...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:55 am

With a cat it should be nearly impossible, with a test pipe, assuming it's running slightly rich and the pipes are hot enough or close enough to the exhaust port (short) then your odds go up.  Great effect though... when the car is being driven in anger.

Would lay odds the Mitsubaru in the video clip had cat delete, and possibly even a extra coil and spark plug near the end of the tailpipe to set it off. It's kind of telling they way he was revving the engine and then killing the rpm (likely a ignition cutoff to cause raw fuel to spill down the exhaust). Modern cars just don't do it, they run too cleanly with their fuel injection and O2 sensors keeping things in tune, even without cats. The ignition cutoff/ignitor circuit makes it possible, and usually quite illegal in most states. But seeing it on a Dual exhaust car makes you think of all the Batman movies you've seen in the last 2 decades. :)
Last edited by Driver on Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.