Options info

bolus

Options info

Post by bolus » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:07 am

no longer relevant
Last edited by bolus on Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

07Atom

Re: Options info

Post by 07Atom » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:59 am

Nice.  Thanks.  ;D

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:20 am

Any idea if the below statement describes the atoms belts?

The Schroth Rallye 4 is the de facto standard for anyone looking for a simple, clean, DOT-approved and Safe 4 point harness. The technology built into the harness puts it in a category above the belts made by other manufacturers. The years of testing and motorsport experience only give credit to what the engineers have been saying all along.

There are two main reasons why the Schroth Belts are the only safe 4 point harnesses: ASM technology and the ability to install the belts to stock harness mounting locations.

ASM stands for Anti-SubMarining. It's an extra flap of material sewn into the inboard shoulder belt that prevents you from sliding underneath the lap belt. In a 4 point harness made by some other company, the two shoulder straps restrain your upper body equally. They keep your chest from moving forward. However, this also pulls up on the lap belt and allows your accellerating pelvis to slide under the lap belt and cause serious damage to your stomach and intestines. With ASM, one of the shoulder belts will elongate at a different rate which will force your pelvis down into the seat cushion. Upon rebound, you will be placed back in an upright position with the belt correctly placed over your body.

These belts are perfect for Driver's Schools, Autocrosses and canyon runs with your local car club. They offer a comfortable and stylish harness that will hold you in your seat during spirited driving, as well as a restraint that will perform ahead of the competition in an impact. This belt will work perfectly for someone driving a vehicle that is on the vehicle reference list, as it is critical to test the seat back strength in order to make sure the seat can withstand the forces exerted upon it.
Last edited by Jammer on Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:40 am

In the Atom I test drove recently with the 4 point restraints the harness looked very much like this one (except black):

http://www.schrothracing.com/products/competition/1598

I'm not sure if it exactly the same one but it is very close.  It had the same round connector at the center.

07Atom

Post by 07Atom » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:55 am

[quote="bolus"]
In the Atom I test drove recently with the 4 point restraints the harness looked very much like this one (except black):

http://www.schrothracing.com/products/competition/1598

I'm not sure if it exactly the same one but it is very close.  It had the same round connector at the center.
[/quote]

Nope, not the same... That's probably the closest to what's in the Atom, but the shoulder belts look too thick...

I recently test drove the Atom at Brammo as well and these were the belts in that configuration of the it:

I can't find those belts on schrothracing.com... ???

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:11 am

You're right, they are different.  Perhaps it is a custom one to accommodate the embroidering. 

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:08 pm

The round connector is a cam lock mechanism. Sure beats the lever type ones, one twist and your loose. I've wondered if the Atom belts are the Schroth DOT approved ones or their higher end belts that don't specifically mention that they are.  ???

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:28 pm

I don't much like 4-point seatbelts because the shoulder straps will pull up on the lap belt if properly tightened.  I prefer at least 5-point or (preferrably) 6-point seatbelts.  The lower belts allow you to tighten all the belt points snugly without displacing the lap belt up onto your abdomen.  It also allows the harness to hold you in place which makes for better driving--you don't have to use energy to support yourself, you let the harness do it.  After getting used to wearing a snug-fitted 6-point harness, 3-point and 4-point seatbelts don't feel like your wearing seatbelts at all.

As for the DOT legality of wearing a harness, I've never been hassled for it by the police here in CA, and I've worn 6-point belts in my daily driver for years.

Hellooo Newman

Post by Hellooo Newman » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:51 am

Those Recaro seats look very comfy, however I don't know how well they will hold up to the elements. Being  fully exposed to rain in the Atom, won't they deteriorate rather quickly vs the hard plastic ones?? What are they upholstered with...leather or vinal??
For those of you lucky enough to have test driven the Atom, how comfortable are the plastic moulded seats vs the Recaro's??
cheers

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:51 am

The car I test drove had the recaro's with vinyl.  I was told this car had 45,000 miles and they also said go ahead and stand on the seats to get in.  I was suprised at how good of shape the seats were in despite this.  I did not get to sit in one with the molded plastic.  The Recaro's were quite comfortable and flying around corners you barely had to hold on since they were nice and snug.  They had excellent shoulder and hip support

I did not get any good pics of the inside but here is a close up of the top of the seat.  The rest of the seat looks like this

Hellooo Newman

Post by Hellooo Newman » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:23 pm

Thanks Bolus. Which seats are you going with?
cheers

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:45 pm

I ordered the Recaro's and the 4 point restraints.  Although I appreciate the simplicity of the plastic molded ones I had to go with something a little more snazzy for the cockpit.  I wish they offered the bright red recaros and red wilwood calipers to go with the red body panels though. 

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:33 pm

Anyone over 6 feet tall will benefit from the moulded seats - there's MUCH more room in them for your knees and your c.o.g. is quite a bit lower.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:16 pm

You could always have the Recaros recovered. Or just ask Brammo to get you some in red. If they can change the color of the frame they could certainly change the seat color.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:53 pm

Agreed, unless Brammo bulk ordered the Recaro Pole Position seat, there doesnt seem to be a cost upgrade to through most vendors, so I imagine the cost upgrade wouldnt be great to you.