Rpm limit on eco

atomizer

Rpm limit on eco

Post by atomizer » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:44 am

I was under the assumption that the rev limiter is set at 6500. my atom seems to only hit 5200 and then flats out. Light on the steering wheel shows green only, no yellow or red. Im wondering if the computer needs to be reset.

Bruce Fielding

Re: Rpm limit on eco

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:21 am

If the limiter kicks in at 5200 then this is an ECU problem and nothing to do with the wheel lights.

Talk to Brammo...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Jamin

Post by Jamin » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:00 pm

Both the 2.2 and the 2.0 should be factory set to a 6,450 RPM limit.  The 230 or 245 hp varients of the 2.0 should go to 7k even if, as we suspect, they're using the GM Stage I and II kits.

Either there's a ECU tuning problem, or the tach/lights aren't set properly - i.e., it's actually reaching 6450, but only showing 5200.  But then, you probably already knew that much, lol.

atomizer

Post by atomizer » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:41 am

found out the cat is completly cloged. Took it apart today and what a mess. its like a matrix metal spiral clump of metalic clump in the cat. which means the exhaust cant blow out which in turn is bogging the motor down. So Im working on the cat. just fyi for you 300hp owners out there. straigt pipe should fix problem.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:10 am

I don't think anyone I know has a cat on the car... without the cat, it's the dog's...!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Matt F

Post by Matt F » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:43 pm

Thank you for the update, TC. 

Do you think that cat came clogged, or did the problem develop over time?

dp35

Post by dp35 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:36 pm

Send the bill to Mr. Clarkson.

I hope the car wasn't under-performing when he drove it. 

Jacob Potts

Post by Jacob Potts » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:21 pm

[quote="atomizer"]found out the cat is completly cloged.  straigt pipe should fix problem.[/quote]

The catalytic converter, unclogged, does not necessarily have degrade performance.  For example, American Ferrari F40's have more horsepower than their European counterparts, because Ferrari had to upgrade the fuel injection system, to comply with emissions regulations.  So, atomizer, use the catalytic converter problem to as an opportunity to increase technology and performance, rather than the low-tech (and in the U.S., illegal on road cars) route of using a straight pipe.

The solution: the hawk, the cheetah.

To wit:  take in from the environment, produce blinding performance, and then release back to the environment what you don't need, in mannners and in ways that will prosper both the environment and the performance.  Nothing superfluous.

Our Atoms, as well engineered as they are, can only benefit from better engineering, to go along with the sublime engineering of the rest of creation, and more performance to boot!  Win/win!

Jacob :-)

Matt F

Post by Matt F » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:58 pm

[quote="Jacob Potts"]
The catalytic converter, unclogged, does not necessarily have degrade performance.  For example, American Ferrari F40's have more horsepower than their European counterparts, because Ferrari had to upgrade the fuel injection system, to comply with emissions regulations.[/quote]

Although those are two variables changed: fuel system, and cat.  Would a Euro-spec F40 make the same power if one added cats?  I assume not, otherwise why would Ferrari upgrade the fuel system?

Or: Brammo offers a "test pipe" cat replacement. I also assume this is to make more power.  As I said, I'll use a dyno and find out!

atomizer

Post by atomizer » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:31 am

I just want to add that Brammo has responded above expectations and the professional manner in which this matter is being handled is better than that of European Importers(BMW,MBZ,ect). .....and they have made only about 15cars!
I feel the only way the atom will be made better is by communication with the Mfg. and visa versa. My contact in Brammo has been a shining beacon for the company that he works for! Everyone at Brammo that has been helping resolve this issue from the head engineer and head welder have been involved with resolving this issue.
This will help the folks on the assembly line and those that have taken delivery.
Its been alittle frustrating that I cant drive the atom for awhile but I feel the performance will be BETTER than when I picked up the car.

I dont think this caused a problem for jeremy clarksons drive.....he loved the power the car had plus it broke the track record by the viper by 9 full seconds! No stuffy cat would allow this.
I would recommend thou to all atom owners, that after you smog the car and get thru the reg. dmv process, to take the cat off and change to the straight pipe. It takes about 2hrs R/R.

atomizer

Re: Rpm limit on eco..update fixed...now throttle problem

Post by atomizer » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:11 am

yesterday R/R cat. drove for awhile and what a diffrence. very quick.
what a blast.
HOWEVER....at one moment I pushed the accellerator and a "crack" sound from the gas pedal and then nothing....just idle....no throttle responce at all!
So I had a friend help me tow to his house and pick up with trailer.

Any one have an issue with the fly-by-wire throttle control to act this way.
frustrating.

Jamin

Post by Jamin » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:35 pm

So the motor has the electronic throttle, not the cable type (LSJ's came both ways)?  If the sound came from the pedal area, I would suspect a cable breaking or a cable mount cracking.  The electronic version - I can't think of what might make a cracking sound by the pedal? ???

atomizer

Post by atomizer » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:08 am

got a new electronic speed throttle with gas pedal, removed 3 bolts and unplug and replug in. fixed.

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:39 am

So you cracked the actuator/switch itself at the pedal assy? Any pictures so we can wrap our heads around it visually?