Ron Hixon

Re: Ecotec, JDM Honda, USDM Honda?

Post by Ron Hixon » Thu May 04, 2006 3:32 pm

Oops - I meant NO great expert

Ron

tigwelder

Post by tigwelder » Thu May 04, 2006 5:45 pm

Bruce, with respect, I am not confused about this issue. Confused means you cannot understand the information you already have. I just need more information to broaden my knowledge base. I knew their was and are civics with left and right side timing covers which made it very clear to me that you could not use one with left side timing covers in an  UK Ariel. I know this is your barbeque, but what is the problem with working it out on the forum?

McFred, Thanks for the good input. The top photo is a civic swap correct? Before the swap it had left side timing cases, correct? When doing such a swap you must use the matching transaxle, correct? It seems you know your Hondas, at least much better than I. Are all Kâ??s right side timing conf.? For example, I donâ??t know what an Acura Integra comes with in USDM stock configuration. I believe most of them are left side timing along with the majority of other Honda cars. Is this wrong?

When you say â??sourceâ?� parts, are you referring to the local used Honda parts guy, or a local JDM import guy? I understand all the small things like injectors, chains, pulleys, etc will be the same.

It sounds like you indicated that there are plenty of USDM models with a right side set up.

Thanks, again. This is why I ask on a forum and not the factory. It was really a question that someone with extensive Honda experience needed to answer. Additionally, it did not waste Craigâ??s time, and a lot more people are able to learn from the thread.

Later,
TW

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu May 04, 2006 5:52 pm

You may not be confused, but I am!

Then again, that's a natural state for me...

...and it's not my barbeque. It belongs to the world! (But sometimes the tongs need a bit of a scrape)
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

McFred

Post by McFred » Fri May 05, 2006 3:07 am

[quote="tigwelder"]McFred, the top photo is a civic swap correct? Before the swap it had left side timing cases, correct? When doing such a swap you must use the matching transaxle, correct? Are all Kâ??s right side timing conf.? For example, I donâ??t know what an Acura Integra comes with in USDM stock configuration. I believe most of them are left side timing along with the majority of other Honda cars. Is this wrong?[/quote]

Yes, a Civic hatchback.
Yes, the original Civic engine has the timing belt cover on the other side.
Yes, the appropriate gearbox should be used, otherwise customization is required.
Yes, all K-series engines have the timing covers on the 'right' side.
In the USA Acura Integra GSRs and Type-Rs came with B18C engines and had the timing covers on the left side.  SOHC D-series (mostly in Civics) and F-series (mostly in Accords) and DOHC H-series (in Preludes) all had timing covers on the left hand side.

[quote="tigwelder"]When you say â??sourceâ?� parts, are you referring to the local used Honda parts guy, or a local JDM import guy?[/quote]

Both.  You can get 90% of all the K-series stuff you need from your local Honda/Acura dealer/salvage yard.  The other 10% could be purchased through importers or from the aftermarket.

Jamin

Post by Jamin » Fri May 12, 2006 5:02 pm

The solution to all this is so simple it's scary!

Buy the EcoTec.  :laugh:

;)

McFred

Post by McFred » Fri May 12, 2006 7:17 pm

I don't see how that makes it any more simple, it was not complicated to begin with IMO.  :P  People have their brand preference.  Regardless of the chosen drivetrain Brammo should support the platforms as delivered from the factory.  Both Honda K-series engines as well as GM engines are being produced in the USA.  When it comes to major internal components/castings, either should be fairly available and competively priced regardless.

Jamin, do you know of any inexpensive online Ecotec parts distributors?  I know some for Acura and Honda I would be interested in comparing replacement part prices out of morbid curiosity.

tigwelder

Post by tigwelder » Fri May 12, 2006 8:13 pm

McFred,
Thanks for all the feedback!

My plan is pretty clear, order the â??cheaperâ?� EcoTec version and when that baby gets here, get out the Tig torch and machine up some brkts for the K series. Hopefully, someone will want the EcoTec for a project engine, parts, etc.

Serious, anyone interested in jointly contacting Brammo and working out some kind of deal for the engine, I am game. He can supply the EcoTec to you for your car, and give me a real world discount and ship mine without an engine.

This is exactly why Ariel / Brammo should sell frames and or rolling chassis. Donâ??t try that, â??would you ask Ford or BMW to do that?â?� argument. Ford and BMW sell very different vehicles. They are not selling a race prep type of kit car that is difficult to register and insure for road use. Not apples to apples. Ford & BMW pass all NHTSA and EPA laws. I also get a pretty decent warranty.

Donâ??t read me wrong I love the Ariel, just wish I could have it my way. A bit selfish?
Yes. Is anyone building a clone or replica of the Atom?

Later,
TW

Jamin

Post by Jamin » Fri May 12, 2006 10:24 pm

Damn - why no rollers?  I wanted one sans engine as well, because I want the LE5 block in there to build from, and it's the only EcoTec varient they don't offer!  :(

Cheap Eco parts....

www.gmpartsdirect.com is where most of us go.  Occasionally find something cheaper, but they have the best average.

I don't begrudge anyone their personal preferences, but buying a car with the EcoTec drivetrain just to gut it and install the Honda when the Honda unit is available seems like a lateral ove to me, lol.  The "cheap" 2.2 Eco could be moddified to match or exceed the Honda unit's performance a lot more easily than you might think.  The stock roller followers and HLA's are good to 9700 RPM, so call it 9k to be safe.  In other words - valve springs and you have 9k+ redline ability on the top end.  The bottom end - the stock main bearings have been put to north of 900 hp and 10k rpm without failure, so they're good - run the destroked crank with their forged rods, balance the assembly, and you're hotter cams and an engine management system away from a 240+ hp 2.0 liter 9k rpm monster.  HP Tuners makes the software, so you don't even need a standalone.  And if you want to add boost down the road, all the parts already exist courtesy of the supercharged and turbocharged factory versions.

Damn I tend to get long on this topic, lol.  Sorry 'bout that.  I guess in my mind the motors are at the very least equals, and there's just so much more potential in the Eco with so much less work!

tigwelder

Post by tigwelder » Sat May 13, 2006 6:41 pm

Jamin,
Yes, no rollers or chassis. Why? I donâ??t know ask Ariel, but I have heard that many people feel that may affect the perceived value of this â??supercarâ?�.

Also the reason YOU donâ??t think my plan to swap out the Eco for k series is all that cool is because you donâ??t understand all the elements in MY equation. I have access to JDM parts and such at very good deals, and my day job is Owner / Operator of a well equipped machine shop with a â??raceâ?� car building back round.

If someone would let me borrow their Ariel for a month I would copy the darn thing myself. Any takers? I give you back an extra frame for your trouble. LOL As, others have pointed out, building a race car from scratch is not simple, but copying one is. I just want the Ariel to cruise, race, tinker, etc. So in my equation, the cheapest and quickest path to having a car is what I desire. May be I get some brkts ready for the Honda K series Diesel and run my home brew Biodiesel. Everyone walks different paths.

Thanks,
TW

Jamin

Post by Jamin » Sat May 13, 2006 7:32 pm

Fair enough!

Dunno if you'll get much interest in knocking off Ariels frame design, though....    :o