exhaust leak in vibration coupler

Dave D

exhaust leak in vibration coupler

Post by Dave D » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:26 pm

Have atom 2. only 240 mi. Had a blow out in the exhaust. In the vibration coupler. any great fixes out there?

silver

Re: exhaust leak in vibration coupler

Post by silver » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:19 pm

[quote="Dave D"]
 Have atom 2. only 240 mi. Had a blow out in the exhaust. In the vibration coupler. any great fixes out there?
[/quote]

ha, lots.

by vibration coupler are you talking about the flexible section at the bottom of the mid pipe, or the gaskets, both of them blow out so I'm not sure which your issue is.

for the flexible section, the only reason they put it in there was so that the exhaust could be slightly different and still fit on the atom

1:  take it to a muffler shop and chop out that section and weld in straight pipe, cheapest fix and works fine
2:  have them weld in a slip flt coupler...no real reason to but some people do it.
3:  start from scratch and put a better exhaust on the whole thing, the exhaust is too restrictive and the header and muffler tend to fail also

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:50 pm

On the very early RAM cars, the stainless systems were pretty stout. Mine probably had at least 50 track days on it when the header cracked in the collector weld. Even then it would not likely have failed with the cat bypass pipe, but I was testing a new type cat for Brammo which failed big time, totally blocked the exhaust flow and split the header. On the other hand, my red car (vin ending in 100) had a really inexpensively made pipe which split on the third track day with no cat in place. If you have the stainless pipe and do not plan to track the car slot, it would be worth the fix that Silver mentioned. If it's not stainless, replacement would be much better. I ultimately had Tom Smurzynski build a top notch modular system that I love, but before that I had Brammo replace my busted pipe with a stainless unit like my RAM280 car. It never failed, but was too restrictive, especially after swapping in a Harrop supercharger.

Dave D

Post by Dave D » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:53 pm

Thanks for the help