Ecotec LSJ single pass intake intercooler

Heywood-Yablowme

Ecotec LSJ single pass intake intercooler

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:26 pm

Interesting developments over at ZZPerformance.They have taken a stock LSJ laminova tube intake and constructed it to a single pass system. It was shown in tests to drop IAT's substantially over a dual pass setup. Combined with a better water to air external heat exchanger,this could be the ticket to lowering track IAT's for the LSJ Atom.  They also have a cool slave cylinder/throw out bearing that does not bleed off hydraulic pressure when depressed,for better feel on HD clutch setups.  :tu:

Modified intake....$399 bucks (with core) Image

Slave cylinder....$99 bucks.. Image

silver

Re: Ecotec LSJ single pass intake intercooler

Post by silver » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:21 pm

is this the one that allows each tube to flow the same direction and only get 1 pass?

I think this has been out for years but good post.

do it and let us know what you find!

On track my fans that I have mounted to my intercooler (same as yours) dropped my IAT2's by 20 degrees...FWIW.....which pretty much proves there's no damn airflow behind the radiator and so the fans ON makes a large difference.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:38 pm

They just made it available in June of this year,and they have dyno pulls showing its positive effects. Instead of the original design,which ran the water through each tube in series,the same gulp of water absorbing heat from 4 runs through the intake,this allows coolant to pass through one tube,and back out of the intake. It really is of NO benefit unless you upgrade the external cooling system of the car. I will be using this in conjunction with two side mounted coolers and two circulators. I'm not giving up on the Harrop quite yet... ;D

silver

Post by silver » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:45 pm

June this year, ok gotcha, I knew I had seen it a while ago.

have you thought of just doing the modification yourself?

You're mechanically inclined, why not save $400?

are you going to go to e85 or race gas also, to help reduce your IAT2's and increase the performance. 

Randy's putting down a solid 340whp (I think) on his harrop so obviously it's got more love to give...I'm happy with my wussy 280whp for now :)

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:01 pm

For $400,it is not worth my time to construct one.Theirs looks pretty nice. I'm not shooting for any specific HP numbers.I am building the motor strong with good stuff,but don't really need more than 300whp.93 octane fuel or VP 96.  If It can produce 300whp for days on end,without blowing up,I will be satisfied.  My car stock was faster than anything but a real formula car..I should have left it alone. Chasing down the formula cars should be done with a formula car. Maybe some day.... I do have a friend who is selling the most fantastic Chevron FA car I have ever seen.I fit very well in it too. We are dickering on a purchase...but I won't give up an Atom for it..but maybe a Harley.. :)
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:21 pm

I have had a competitors model for a while and they have been out for a lot longer than June.  I have been waiting for my cylinder head to be done, so, mine is still sitting on the shelf.  I haven't been too worked up about it as we were headed into winter, but, it is the time to work on it again.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:23 pm

that must be what I saw....I also remember them being like $600?

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:36 pm

If anyone needs a core I have one. I removed mine when I went turbo and it is somewhere in my garage. You can have it free for what ever shipping will cost. If interest send PM

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:40 pm

Kempo,I'll take it. PM'd.  ;)

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:51 pm

PM Replied, it's yours.

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:19 pm

Has anyone actually tried this?  My dual-pass manifold is still off of my engine and I'm wondering if this really works.  I guess I mean has any one besides the company selling this, reported positive results?

Eddie

Lane

Post by Lane » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:45 pm

I picked up one of these off the Cobalt SS forums for around $300 used with no core manifold needed for exchange.  For that price, I figured it was worth trying out.  I'm waiting to do the install in a few weeks when I have the engine out to replace the clutch.  Don't know if I'll be able to determine much about its performance this time of the year as the temps here in Wisconsin are already dipping down to the 30s at night.  May only be able to provide feedback in the spring, and I'm not sure this will do much by itself.  I've already replaced the aftercooler pump with the Cobra/Lightning model and I expect to upgrade the front heat exchanger to something that doesn't resemble a transmission cooler in the spring as well.
Last edited by Lane on Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:34 am

Thanks for the reply.  Did the previous owner of the one you bought, offer any feedback as to whether it helped him or not?

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:56 am

[quote="FourFather"]
Did the previous owner of the one you bought, offer any feedback as to whether it helped him or not?
[/quote]

Not him particulary, was selling it during a part-out of car.  Prevailing thought on those forums is that it has a benefit, although exactly how much is often debated in the typical forum fashion - speculating by those who haven't owned/used one.  Also, the Ion/Cobalt cars don't have the same cooling challenges that we do since it's easy enough for them to swap out the front mount heat exchanger and many of them do that as well.

Regardless, I'm giving it a try and we'll see.  I've got an Aeroforce Interceptor showing me both air temps and have a good feel for my typical temp difference for whatever activity I'm doing with the car.  I'm looking forward to seeing what it does.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:15 pm

OK, Lane, Thanks for the reply.  I'm thinking about modifying my manifold to make it a single-pass.  I have already port-matched mine to my enlarged and CNC-ported head, and I smoothed it internally.  It was ROUGH inside.  So I'd like to use mine, to utilize all the work I've already done.