Atom 2 alignment settings

toby

Atom 2 alignment settings

Post by toby » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:06 am

I know this was discussed back in March, but I'd like to reopen the discussion of what alignment settings are out there for atoms these days for the Brammo Atom 2.

The owners manual recommends:

Front: -1 degree camber
          1 mm toe out

Rear: -1 degree 15 mins camber
        1.5 mm toe out

But Darth Chicken recommended toe in (not out) and -1.5 degrees camber for the rear.

I'm looking for a good autocross/street compromise. Thoughts? I'll be aligning in the next couple days here. Thanks in advance!

Karl

Re: Atom 2 alignment settings

Post by Karl » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:52 pm

I think most people will agree that toe *out* in the rear is a rather strange recommendation. I've changed to toe in with no side effects! Camber settings will depend on what tires you use, but I think that -1 degree is a good place to start. Since you've got an Atom 2, after you've got both sides aligned and synchronized, it is trivial to change the camber by turning the thimbles, in case you want more.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:44 pm

changing the camber WILL change the tow at the same time however.. you have to dial in both at the same time.  So.. yeah.. its not trivial unfortunately.

toby

Post by toby » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:02 pm

Thanks guys! Unless someone else chimes in with a compelling alternative, I'll probably go with -1.5 camber, 1mm toe in for the rear.

Monza

Post by Monza » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:30 pm

if you put more camber on rear, increase the Toe IN to 1,5 or 2 mm / wheel ;) don't worry the rear will still move as (or more often than) you want. ;D
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

fishkiller

Post by fishkiller » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:52 am

Since you mentioned "AutoCross", I'd bump it up a notch.
-2.0 front 1/16-1/8 total IN, just a slight amount of toe-in.
-2.5 rear  1/8-1/4 total IN

No matter what you do, Don't toe the car OUT on either end, IMHO,  ;D

Get a set of A6 Hoosiers, It will make a huge difference in your times. 
Plus they won't squeal, like a little girl, on those tight turns either.
;D

toby

Post by toby » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:56 am

OK, fishkiller votes for toe in up front and more camber all around. Not sure I want to go the full -2 degrees, though. Did I mention I need an autocross/street compromise? The car is already the fastest thing in the autocross. But as much as the Atom is NOT about compromise, I need my tires to last the whole year, and I do intend to drive it a lot on the street.

Yes, the Hoosiers are fast. But I'm leaning toward the Toyo Proxes R888, which I feel more comfortable driving on the street. When finances eventually loosen up, I'll get a spare set of rims/tires for the street and have one dedicated race set.