hose to nowhere fix

s996

hose to nowhere fix

Post by s996 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:03 pm

I have recently suffered a burned "hose to nowhere "  that started leaking on a nice evening drive.  I  have the Hytech exhaust and the header is very close to this rubberhose that on the cobalt goes to the heater core and back to the thermostat housing.  I have wrapped it with super heat shield and all the goods,  now less than 500 miles with new pipes and the leak.

Mad max has already designed the fix ---- great job and thanks

I bought a new housing online and had the holes welded shut. (in case I messed up the original)  Make sure to drill out the common return from the block before putting it all back together.

if you have a hytech or even if you dont take a look and be aware.

Terry Kennedy

Re: hose to nowhere fix

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:27 am

[quote="s996"]
I  have the Hytech exhaust and the header is very close to this rubberhose that on the cobalt goes to the heater core and back to the thermostat housing.  I have wrapped it with super heat shield and all the goods,  now less than 500 miles with new pipes and the leak.[/quote]

FWIW, 12000+ miles here w/ HyTech and hose and no problems (I re-wrapped the hose myself when installing the HyTech.

s996

Post by s996 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:15 pm

that sounds great,    I must have not had the heat wrap on there well enough.  In any event, its fixed now. 

Terry,  what exhaust gasket did you use with the hytech?  Mine is leaking a little with the old one I reused the old one.

steve

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:27 pm

I went to GM and just ordered an new gasket.
It cost ~$15.

fishkiller

Post by fishkiller » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:12 am

I heard that the NAPA exhaust gasket is a better fit.
It was strange that a listing for the Eco 2.0 was not listed.
There were listings for the 2.2 and 2.4 though.
So is the 2.2 gasket the same?
Will it fit the 2.0, LSJ motor??

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:09 am

[quote="s996"]
Terry,  what exhaust gasket did you use with the hytech?  Mine is leaking a little with the old one I reused the old one.
[/quote]

I wound up using a new stock GM one. I had purchased a copper one, but because of the way the HyTech header flange is sculpted (instead of being a simple rectangle) there would have been a fair amount of blow-by because the copper gasket's ribs would have been outside the header flange.