Burned my foot, but did my first repair!

SteveJ

Burned my foot, but did my first repair!

Post by SteveJ » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:16 am

So, less than a week after a repair-less trek from New York to Seattle with my new Atom 2, the brake light pressure sensor melted and started dripping hot brake fluid on my foot - giving me a rather nasty 2nd degree burn. OUCH!

But luckily, a new sensor was only $16 from TMI, and the hardest part of installing it was soldering in the quick-connector from the old piece. :) I've also put new Yokos on it, and I've been driving it lots. Tonight I installed an EcoRoute HD for my Garmin nuvi. Really cool to be able to clear engine codes, see lots of gauges, and just plain geek-out.

She's due for an oil change and I've got two side-by-side lifts in my garage.  I'm in Maple Valley, so any other SEA owners wanna get together for an oil change party?

Karl

Re: Burned my foot, but did my first repair!

Post by Karl » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:23 am

[quote="Steve Jenkins"]
So, less than a week after a repair-less trek from New York to Seattle with my new Atom 2, the brake light pressure sensor melted and started dripping hot brake fluid on my foot - giving me a rather nasty 2nd degree burn. OUCH!

But luckily, a new sensor was only $16 from TMI, and the hardest part of installing it was soldering in the quick-connector from the old piece. :) I've also put new Yokos on it, and I've been driving it lots. Tonight I installed an EcoRoute HD for my Garmin nuvi. Really cool to be able to clear engine codes, see lots of gauges, and just plain geek-out.

She's due for an oil change and I've got two side-by-side lifts in my garage.  I'm in Maple Valley, so any other SEA owners wanna get together for an oil change party?
[/quote]

Hearing this makes me want to accelerate my plans for replacing that darned brake light switch...

positron

Post by positron » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:05 pm

I'm a little confused on why it's so hot up under there? Melting is a result not a cause.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:26 pm

I can't help but agree with Positron, you have a symptom not a cause.  My car is also in Maple Valley right now getting suspension stuff done.  I will email you ...

SteveJ

Post by SteveJ » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:55 pm

The back side of the switch (where the wires enter) was melted, which leads me to believe that it could potentially be some sort of short or grounding issue.

positron

Post by positron » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:03 pm

Even more curious as it's suppose to be a grounding circuit.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:18 pm

[quote="Steve Jenkins"]
The back side of the switch (where the wires enter) was melted, which leads me to believe that it could potentially be some sort of short or grounding issue.
[/quote]

Are you sure it was melted? The ones I've seen have had the back filled with expoxy or something, which could be confused for melting if not examined closely.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:58 am

If the switch sticks in the "on' position,it will overheat and melt. It is designed as a momentary switch. Swap it out for an external setup,not hard to do.