Emissions test

patentshark

Emissions test

Post by patentshark » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:11 pm

I haven't been around in a while and actually haven't had the car out too much in the last year, but I just got my emissions test notice from the good ole state of Illinois.  I did some searching on the forum regarding CEL, MIL, codes and new tunes, but wanted to make sure I was working from the latest and greatest as some of the threads were pretty old. 

I have one of the very early "300" Ecotecs with the original stock configuration and tune (long story, but Brammo told me he "ran out of certain parts" when it came time to fix my car).  If anyone has any info on the most current/recommended form for tune, codes, MIL, CEL, etc., please let me know.  I have about two months until my test is due and plan to start working on the car this weekend, but I expect the process to take a little while to get everything in proper order.  I really need to get my butt moving on figuring out what I am going to do about changing from the stock tune. 

Thanks in advance.

Terry Kennedy

Re: Emissions test

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:45 am

[quote="patentshark"]
I have one of the very early "300" Ecotecs with the original stock configuration and tune (long story, but Brammo told me he "ran out of certain parts" when it came time to fix my car).  If anyone has any info on the most current/recommended form for tune, codes, MIL, CEL, etc., please let me know.  I have about two months until my test is due and plan to start working on the car this weekend, but I expect the process to take a little while to get everything in proper order.  I really need to get my butt moving on figuring out what I am going to do about changing from the stock tune.[/quote]
I take it Naperville is far enough north that it's in the Chicago pollution control zone? I know Urbana-Champaign doesn't inspect.

If you're reasonably comfortable with a soldering iron, I can send you directions to change things to get a working MIL/CEL and get rid of the P0230 code. That will cause the ECU to report that it is happy (mostly) - it will still report "incomplete" for some OBDII tests - whether that matters depends on what your state allows.

Edit: If your state does a tailpipe sniff or visual inspection in addition to OBD, you may need a catalytic converter. Someone (not me) just listed one for sale here. NOTE: The original Brammo tune will "poison" a cat very quickly (like 50 miles), so you don't want to leave it installed.
Last edited by Terry Kennedy on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

patentshark

Post by patentshark » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:13 pm

Thanks for the response Terry.  Yup, Naperville is part of the regular emissions testing area (every 2 years or so I believe after the initial new car period). 

I have no problem with a soldering iron and would love the directions.  I saw that there was a post from a couple years ago, but wasn't sure if that was the most current and correct fix.

I do have a very nice CAT sitting in a box waiting installation if necessary.  Usually the techs just run the OBD check on my cars, but they did run the sniffer test last time I took my M3 in.  I haven't ever had a visual inspection, but they might get a little curious with the Atom.  The plan is to play the "friendly and naive" guy and see how far that gets me. 

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:38 pm

[quote="patentshark"]
I have no problem with a soldering iron and would love the directions.  I saw that there was a post from a couple years ago, but wasn't sure if that was the most current and correct fix.[/quote]

The check-engine light thread should still be current. Let me know if some of the pictures disappeared when Bolus left. From memory, it is a tan/white wire taped behind the dash with a masking tape "flag" on it that says "419". Connect that wire to the press-on lug connector either tied above the parking brake or dangling down. Don't trust my memory on this, though - look at the old thread.

I'll PM you the P0230 fix.

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:24 pm

If you want the air intake & last Brammo ECU - I have them for sale...