Another Harrop installation

Sagen

Another Harrop installation

Post by Sagen » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:01 am

I took my Brammo Atom 2 down out to a Dynojet dyno today for fine tuning of the ECU (courtesy of Trifecta Performance).  My package was originally a "245" Ecotec.  On a different Dynojet the stock car tested out at 227 WHP.

Since then I have installed a Rotomolded intake (part that Brammo moved to with later builds), Hy Tech exhaust, 60 lb/hr injectors and the Harrop TVS supercharger with stock 3.1 pulley.

The results of the tune yielded 287 HP and 249 lb-ft torque.  Needless to say I am pleased. 

[img width=720 height=600]http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo75 ... _Dyno1.jpg[/img]

Next up is to sort out the intercooling plumbing to try and maintain the power.  But that will have to wait until after Laguna Seca.  :drool:

In addition I have to say thanks to all of you on the forum posting your experiences.  They have been extremely helpful in the decision making process.

- Sagen

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: Another Harrop installation

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:39 am

Be VERY CAREFUL on track if your intercooler setup is not keeping intake air temps below 150 degrees as this is how I lost my motor.It was fine on the dyno,even with back to back pulls..but out on track,there is NO time for recovery,and if the IAT's raise high enough,your exhaust gas temps will go through the roof,and you WILL do serious damage. I sent my damaged cylinder spark plug to Allied Signal and their engineers said my EGT's must have been well over 2000 degrees. Unless you are monitoring EGT's, you will never know they are dangerously high. Air fuel numbers can be perfect,and coolant temps as well,but if the IAT's get hot enough,you will have problems. Forewarned is forearmed.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:52 pm

A couple of people in my office said they saw their first Atom on the road, other than mine, orange and black in Auburn yesterday.  Must have been you.  My office is only 4.18 miles from drift.  That description would kind of work for Dingo to though

Sagen

Post by Sagen » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:40 pm

Duly noted Max.

That is certainly one of my concerns since I have the old school "transmission" radiator for the intercooler loop and the standard end plate.  I'll make sure I have my IAT guage in place to help me keep an eye on things.

Norm,

Dingo actually came down to see the "show" so that is who they saw.  He even filmed a few of the pulls.

silver

Post by silver » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:50 pm

Good job Sagen...do you already have the aeroforce gauge installed to monitor your IAT2's?

My current intercooler setup is with the same style intercooler that madmax has, but I added 2 fans....works well, I also have another larger intercooler behind my seats...not sure if that is helping or hurting but it's there..for now.

I have contemplated dozens of ideas...I think bottom line is the amount of additional help you need in the intercooler department is relative to your climate.

In Texas we easily see IAT1's of over 110 degrees in the summer....so that's when you need your intercooler to be working tip top....but if your ambient temps are 60-70, there's MUCH less need for additional intercooling.

Gage

Post by Gage » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:06 pm

Sagen,  have you made any changes or improvements to your setup since the tuning event and Laguna Seca?

Sagen

Post by Sagen » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:06 pm

Hey there Gage,

I haven't made any significant changes since getting back from Laguna.  I managed to attend a Lap Attack event which went well, but there weren't any sound concerns there and the runs were short enough that I didn't have to worry about overheating the intake charge.

Meanwhile, I was distracted by a trip to Italy and France.  We visited a few friends, but also were able to attend the Italian GP at Monza (pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dannjill/sets/72157624915465328/).

Was there something you were interested in?  I've been pondering some crazy ways to try and get better inter-cooling as that seems to be what frustrates the current package the most.  Atom 500 sidepods and radiators?  Roll hoop radiator? Water Injection? Larger radiator in the nose?

- Sagen

Gage

Post by Gage » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:50 am

[quote="Sagen"]
Was there something you were interested in?   I've been pondering some crazy ways to try and get better inter-cooling as that seems to be what frustrates the current package the most.           - Sagen
[/quote]

Oh Heck yea.  Cooling is THE issue.  My Atom has the same radiator for the engine coolant that serves as the heat exchanger down low, but heat is still an issue.  I think most everyone with an Ecotec Atom is looking for a way to improve cooling efficiency.  Bring on the crazy ideas.  No one has yet to post up a thread entitled "Over heating issues solved on Ecotec Atom". 

Lane

Post by Lane » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:31 am

[quote="Gage"]
Cooling is THE issue.  My Atom has the same radiator for the engine coolant that serves as the heat exchanger down low, but heat is still an issue.  I think most everyone with an Ecotec Atom is looking for a way to improve cooling efficiency.  Bring on the crazy ideas. 
[/quote]

Stumbled across this a while back - a single pass setup.  Links: #1, #2

I seem to recall seeing a thread on it on the Cobalt SS forums which I'm no longer able to locate.

Would help if we knew what the weak point was in the system otherwise something like this might be just another shot in the dark.

Thoughts?
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:15 am

[quote="Lane"]
Would help if we knew what the weak point was in the system otherwise something like this might be just another shot in the dark.[/quote]

I think there are several, ranging from the fact that the M62 just isn't effective at high boost due to heat buildup, to most of us having too-small radiators mounted in the wrong place, and many of us having assorted plumbing / wiring errors that reduce the effectiveness of the coolant loop even further.

I wonder if there's a crossover point where you get more horsepower out than you put in to actually run a refrigeration system through there.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:00 pm

Lane, I think the problem with that setup is that its so expensive.  And.. it won't fix the problem by itself, not by a long shot.  When I took my setup apart the first time, I found that the hoses and pump were routed backwards.  The Laminova tubes weren't in the optimal configuration (although some say it doesn't matter... but when something doesn't work right you better believe I read the manaul).  And of course, the fact that there is no bleed port (so its impossible to bleed properly) up on the craptastic oil cooler facing the hot pavement with a tiny ass fan trying to keep up.

If you are serious about making power, either build a turbo setup (broken record) or go with the harrop, get all your plumbing fixed, and get a decent intercooler core into the wind.  Adding water injection to the mix doesn't hurt either. 

I'm running 80hp more than stock, and over 100ft lbs, on 92 octane pump gas with a catalytic converter in place.  It's dead quiet (no issues at Laguna Seca), completely streetable (I've got 22k miles on my car), doesn't consume mufflers like they are candy (my muffler is still polished silver, hasn't even tarnished!) , and cost me less than $2k out of pocket (because I'm friends with a welder.. everybody should have a friend that can weld). 

Yes, my entire setup cost less than the exhaust systems some of you are running and you're STILL overheating.  :doh:

silver

Post by silver » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:33 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Lane, I think the problem with that setup is that its so expensive.   And.. it won't fix the problem by itself, not by a long shot.  When I took my setup apart the first time, I found that the hoses and pump were routed backwards.  The Laminova tubes weren't in the optimal configuration (although some say it doesn't matter... but when something doesn't work right you better believe I read the manaul).  And of course, the fact that there is no bleed port (so its impossible to bleed properly) up on the craptastic oil cooler facing the hot pavement with a tiny ass fan trying to keep up.

If you are serious about making power, either build a turbo setup (broken record) or go with the harrop, get all your plumbing fixed, and get a decent intercooler core into the wind.  Adding water injection to the mix doesn't hurt either. 

I'm running 80hp more than stock, and over 100ft lbs, on 92 octane pump gas with a catalytic converter in place.  It's dead quiet (no issues at Laguna Seca), completely streetable (I've got 22k miles on my car), doesn't consume mufflers like they are candy (my muffler is still polished silver, hasn't even tarnished!) , and cost me less than $2k out of pocket (because I'm friends with a welder.. everybody should have a friend that can weld). 

Yes, my entire setup cost less than the exhaust systems some of you are running and you're STILL overheating.   :doh:

[/quote]

Darth is right.....time to go turbo if you aren't happy, but, and there's always a BUTT, the people that really suffer from heatsoak are those in hot climates.

For example, my Delta for IAT1 and IAT2 is always around 40 degrees once it's hot....if I was in a 70-80 degree climate my IAT2 would be well below the heatsoak threashold, and I'd consider the problem "fixed" unfortunately In texas my IAT1's are coming in at 115 in the summer heat which pushes my IAT2 up to 155 thus heatsoak.

I'd need my delta to get down to around 5 -10 degrees to be able to run here in the summer and not worry about it.