Ecotec single pass to dual pass

positron

Re: Ecotec single pass to dual pass

Post by positron » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:09 pm

Post up the address maybe a couple of hundred emails will get their attention or go knock on their bloody door.

I've never considered myself much of a tree hugger, but watch this for about 30 minutes and you'll get pissed.. It's not a trickle, it's full on.

The Vid's change depending on what they are doing.
http://globalwarming.house.gov/spillcam
*move as necessary

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:29 pm

[quote="Positron"]
Post up the address maybe a couple of hundred emails will get their attention or go knock on their bloody door.

I've never considered myself much of a tree hugger, but watch this for about 30 minutes and you'll get pissed.. It's not a trickle, it's full on.

The Vid's change depending on what they are doing.
http://globalwarming.house.gov/spillcam
*move as necessary
[/quote]

Interesting piece in Rolling Stone.
The Spill, The Scandal and the President

Author Tim Dickinson interviewed.

Note that correspondent Dickinson is no Obama basher.  He wrote a hopeful piece when Ken Salazar became Secretary of Interior, in an article that also detailed some of the Interior Department problems that the Obama administration inherited.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/17390/112016

(Any interest in a moderator splitting the last 3 posts into a new 'oil spill response' thread?)

positron

Post by positron » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:56 pm

I'm not really concerned on how we got here.. we're here now, let's git it done.. Send the Scot in.

Two things I can know with pretty good certainty, DP35 is going to drive 10/10 and if you want something fixed with vigor and voracity you call CalScot.

Peter, pack your bags..

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:38 pm

[quote="Positron"]
I'm not really concerned on how we got here..
[/quote]

The article also deals with the ongoing political maneuvering that is hampering efforts:

"From the start, the administration has seemed intent on allowing BP to operate in near-total secrecy. Much of what the public knows about the crisis it owes to Rep. Ed Markey, who chairs the House Subcommittee on Energy and the Environment. Under pressure from Markey, BP was forced to release footage of the gusher, admit that its early estimates put the leak as high as 14,000 barrels a day and post a live feed of its undersea operations ...
Scientists were stunned that NOAA, an agency widely respected for its scientific integrity, appeared to have been co-opted by the White House spin machine. "NOAA has actively pushed back on every fact that has ever come out," says one ocean scientist who works with the agency. "They're denying until the facts are so overwhelming, they finally come out and issue an admittance." Others are furious at the agency for criticizing the work of scientists studying the oil plumes rather than leading them.
...the administration has gone to unusual lengths to contain the spill's political fallout. On May 14th, two days after the first video of the gusher was released, the government allowed BP to apply a toxic dispersant that is banned in England at the source of the leak – an unprecedented practice in the deep ocean. "The effort should be in recovering the oil, not making it more difficult to recover by dispersing it," says Sylvia Earle, a famed oceanographer and former NOAA chief scientist who helped the agency confront the world's worst-ever oil spill in the Persian Gulf after the first Iraq War. The chemical assault appeared geared, she says, "to improving the appearance of the problem rather than solving the problem." "

positron

Post by positron » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:28 pm

Put me in charge for about 4 hours, within 30 minutes I'd have a Blackhawk landing in Calscot's front yard, transfer him to a F-14. Landing on a carrier somewhere near the gulf then on a Seahawk and feet wet in under 4 hours.

He'd be done and back by Monday morning.. even have time for a ride along with the Blue Angels on the return trip..

There 'ya go.. all done.

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:23 pm

It's an easy fix
Depth is 5000 feet = pressure at seabed 2227psi absolute
Wellhead pressure is estimated at 3000psi absolute
= Ambient pressure on seafloor about 700-800psi. This is considered "low" by many offshore standards. sh1t, you could plug it with chewing gum for gods sake. :laugh:

1 Take the first "dome" they fabricated up to save time (or build another)
2 Install a large valve on top and install 6" nozzles on the sides about 75% of the way up the sides with cement hoses attached
3 Install a water inflatable "skirt" on the bottom.
4 Lower the dome with the top valve open over the BOP stack (Blow Out Preventer)
5 Inflate the skirt/bladder on the bottom with some seawater to form a seal for the cement to not flow from under the bottom
6 the large open valve on top will allow the escape of oil without back pressure
7 Inject the hydracrete (underwater cement which cures to appx 10,000 psi in 12 hours, 20,000psi in 48hrs and is used all the time for stuff in the North Sea) into the dome and fill up the cavity about 75% of the way up.
8 In 24 hours, just close the top valve, sealing/containing the entire BOP and leaking oil under the dome.

Any fix underwater needs to be simple and this is as simple as it gets. Fast too! 

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:32 pm

What about this ice problem they have talked about, that made the first box unusable?  I'm not even sure what they meant by icing up, did the box fill with ice so it was a solid chunk?

positron

Post by positron » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:49 pm

Blackhawk inbound.. ETA 18 minutes.

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:04 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
What about this ice problem they have talked about, that made the first box unusable?  I'm not even sure what they meant by icing up, did the box fill with ice so it was a solid chunk?
[/quote]
The first attempt using the "dome" tried to basically suck up the oil & gas through a funnel style top about 18" diameter. Problem was primarily that the gas component (methane) was freezing into ice crystals. This is a function of the pressure not the ambient temps which are about 33* I believe. This essentially plugged the suction line.
My idea is to simply shut it off. Since they already proved the dome could be positioned over the BOP and the ROV video showed a pretty clean interface between the base of the Dome and the seabed/wellhead template, the  concept came about becuae that's the hardest part of the deal. Getting it over the BOP and sealing the dome around it with the Hydracrete. 

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:41 am

[quote="CalScot"]
Terry Kennedy's decided to come on out for a wee drive and bring a very nice bottle of Scotch.[/quote]

You said Laguna Seca was just a "wee drive" from New York ;D

More info here so I don't hijack this thread any more than it already is.