Tired of brake fluid leaks from your Wilwood reservoirs? Simple,easy fix!

Heywood-Yablowme

Tired of brake fluid leaks from your Wilwood reservoirs? Simple,easy fix!

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri May 07, 2010 6:53 pm

The Wilwood two piece remote reservoirs brammo used to store brake/clutch fluid suck.You can eventually mess with them enough to  get them to finally stop leaking..maybe...OR replace them with this simple,inexpensive alternative made by Tilton. Part #72-576. It is a one piece,three reservior setup that will never leak.It is a bolt on replacement,requiring only a simple 4"x5" plate to adapt to the stock brackets.There are NO modifications to the chassis,and the stock lines fit perfectly. This is SO much easier than screwing around with the Wilwood units.

This is what Doc looked like after sitting for a while with the stock Wilwood reservoirs...YUCKO! That's about 1 pint of fluid on the floor;

This is the Tilton one piece,three compartment replacement:

Installed:  Image

Requiring only a 4"x5" plate to mount up..and all the hoses fit fine:

No bleeding required if you are careful and don't drain the masters. Easy project and no more drip,drip drip..of brake fluid.

Moving on... ;D

DarthChicken

Re: Tired of brake fluid leaks from your Wilwood reservoirs? Simple,easy fix!

Post by DarthChicken » Fri May 07, 2010 8:27 pm

oh STICKY that SOB.. everybody needs to replace the crap we got!  Good Job Mark!  :tu:

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Sat May 08, 2010 7:31 pm

Great upgrade!  I don't have this particular problem, but I'm going to upgrade as a preventative measure.  The Wilwood resevoirs are so poorly designed that they should be replaced anyway.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun May 09, 2010 8:41 am

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
The Wilwood two piece remote reservoirs brammo used to store brake/clutch fluid suck.You can eventually mess with them enough to  get them to finally stop leaking..maybe...OR replace them with this simple,inexpensive alternative made by Tilton.[/quote]

My early Brammo Atom was built with Tilton pedals / master cylinders / reservoirs and I never had a problem with the reservoirs. When I replaced the brake master cylinders (due to upgrading to 4-pot Alcons on the back) and clutch master cylinder (to fix my clutch drop-out issue), I put the new reservoirs (also from Tilton) on. No leaks from them, either.

Where were yours leaking from? If I had to guess, I'd say from where the reservoir mounts to the combination bracket / hose connector. Those wire band clamps are definitely not tighter=better. Other problems can be from sharp edges left over from the molding in the plastic casting grooves where the O-rings sit. Less likely is improper assembly (failure to use the specified assembly lubricant).

BTW, the plastic Brammo hose clamps are Herbie Clips. You can usually pick them up at computer shops - they're very popular with the water-cooling crowd.

dingo

Post by dingo » Tue May 11, 2010 9:54 pm

The "Cadillac" solution  http://forum.atomclub.com/https://atomc ... ic.php?t=3

I've just bought the plastic triple chamberTilton unit even though I have no leaks in ~13,000 miles. Looks cool too.
Last edited by dingo on Tue May 11, 2010 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RyanD

Post by RyanD » Mon May 17, 2010 11:14 pm

All the Wilwoods need are thicker o-rings.  I replaced mine with a few that I grabbed from work.  No leaks since.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue May 18, 2010 1:13 am

All the Wilwoods need are a trip to the trash can. They are a sh1t-lousy design and have no place on any of my cars. It's just a matter of time before they start to leak again. Why bother trying to polish a turd?

dingo

Post by dingo » Tue May 18, 2010 1:30 am

Back to the brake and clutch cylinders at the top of the pedal set.
The same wire clamps fasten the plastic vessels on top of the cylinders  Any leaks there?

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue May 18, 2010 6:34 pm

[quote="dingo"]
Back to the brake and clutch cylinders at the top of the pedal set.
The same wire clamps fasten the plastic vessels on top of the cylinders  Any leaks there?
[/quote]

Those are less likely to leak because the inner piece is metal (the cylinder casting). And there aren't any burrs on the metal like there can be on the plastic inner pieces used on the brackets.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sat May 22, 2010 1:13 pm

Clamping plastic to metal works.That's why the Wilwoods don't leak at the master.  Clamping plastic to flimsy-ass plastic with a hose clamp leaks.Every one will,eventually.

dingo

Post by dingo » Mon May 31, 2010 11:59 am

Reservoirs arrived.  Now for the messy bit.

Karl

Post by Karl » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:35 pm

I just had a second Wilwood reservoir bite the dust. It also cracked along the parting line, as the first one did. Tilton assembly has been ordered.

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:39 am

[quote="Karl"]
I just had a second Wilwood reservoir bite the dust. It also cracked along the parting line, as the first one did. Tilton assembly has been ordered.
[/quote]

Hey, at least it had the decency to wait until after Laguna!