p0520 code and what to do about it.

silver

p0520 code and what to do about it.

Post by silver » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:21 am

So I figure this might deserve it's own thread as probably a lot of atoms will at some point run into this problem.

p0520 code means the oil pressure switch has a problem.

In doing research today I found out from a source that Joe Wismann back in the day had sent out an email confirming this was a known problem with Ariel Atoms and they were trying to work out a solution with GM.  Well I had never heard that issue up until now so maybe some others will take advantage.  If you get the p0520 code it might be cause for alarm but more than likely you either have the anomaly that Joe Wismann described OR you have a failed sensor. 

In talking to Positron he's replaced his sensor and the code continues to pop back up at random occasions, the solution for this could be that the 2nd sensor is faulty also or that you should turn off the p0520 code in the tune like you turn off p0230 for the security system.

With mine, the CEL came on and stayed on, I cleared the code and it came back on so I decided cheap insurance to replace the part.  It's 13 bux at napa part number NAPA - OP6720 or GM GM - 24577642.  For replacement I tried fitting a long length socket to the sensor but not enough room to make it work and the factory sensor has a slightly different size than the new one so the socket I purchased to fit the replacement doesn't fit the original...Solution, with the firewall removed, you can fit a large crescent wrench in through the firewall, facing the rear of the car through the firewall you basically have a straight shot to the sensor.....I was able to loosen it with the wrench with 1/2 turn then remove it the rest of the way by hand.

I don't think this would be easy or potentially not possible to do this without having the firewall removed so keep this in mind.

We don't know if the p0520 is really a failed switch for everyone that might see it, seems to be that was the problem for me, but since it's known to be a problem I think I'll turn it off on my ECU so that I don't have it bothering me in the future.

Any questions?

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: p0520 code and what to do about it.

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:25 am

Any questions?

Yea..how tough will it be to put a sbf in my car? :D    ;)

silver

Post by silver » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:31 am

not sure....google says an sbf is a single black female, that shouldn't be too hard to put in the atom. :H:

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:50 am

:D  Probably would be easier than what I am planning to do..