First shake down run on track with the Harrop...

Gage

Re: First shake down run on track with the Harrop...

Post by Gage » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:44 pm

I'm very sorry to her about the problem Madmax.  I've been enjoying the story.  I'm sure most of us want to know what happened.  Thanks for sharing. 

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:03 pm

Yea..I could just swap over Docs motor to Max..but this will give me the incentive to work on Doc. The car deserves to see the light of day! What better place to see the sun than on a race track..at speed.. ;D

Either way I go..I can't make my first track event (16 days away) with a prepared Atom. I have my trusty MSM Miata ready to fill in. Not the same..but still lots of fun.
Too bad I can't get those big ole Hoosiers on the Miata... :H:

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:12 pm

Too bad Max, I feel that the stock pistons should have held up anyway, I only did them as insurance.  I think that you just had a little bad luck ...

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:32 pm

They make better pistons for a reason.. ;)   If this had happened with the stock setup,I would not have been surprised. Driving like I have for years,with the intercooling system nonfunctional may have had some contribution to the pistons being weakened. Who knows? It's all conjecture. Water over the dam and all...what does not kill me makes me stronger.. >:D
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:55 pm

like you said now you have an excuse to go all out and go for 600 whp.................right??? didn't you say that :D

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:05 pm

Hell..I  only had 300whp at the peak.  :angel:  I didn't think I was at the boundaries...which was a bit wishful on my end..I have been doing this for a while and should have known better...but that's the thing about mechanical failures.They don't give you any warning,unless you disassemble and check everything,first.  Even then, sh1t happens. This is why there are stronger components available for those who need a greater margin of strength.
I took a gamble and lost. Broken parts are the price you pay when you push the limits with stock stuff. You either accept the fact that things break..or take up tennis... :D
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:08 pm

tennis haha nice..............we shall see if this becomes a repeatable failure...........shinoo, you , we'll see about me in a week or so

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:12 pm

I'm tearing into it now..will know a bit more soon.   :pop:

silver

Post by silver » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:14 pm

take and post pictures....so that we can all learn and see the insides of the lsj :)

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:54 pm

It's #3 cylinder...lots of oil..but I can't see much in there,and no bore scope.The other plugs show no signs of any problems. Further investigating will have to wait till the head comes off.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:03 pm

interesting..

so what does that typically indicate?

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:27 pm

With no signs of spalling on plugs,or in the cylinders,it pretty much eliminates detonation or a lean condition contributing to the failure. Chances are,I will find the ring lands of #3 piston broken. Just like it was stepped on too hard...crunch...!