First shake down run on track with the Harrop...

Heywood-Yablowme

First shake down run on track with the Harrop...

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:56 pm

....thanks Darth...Image

NormLarson

Re: First shake down run on track with the Harrop...

Post by NormLarson » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:19 pm

No FTD?

Seriously, I hope nothing broke ...
Last edited by NormLarson on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:37 pm

It was a Test and tune day at NHMS. They even separated the open wheel cars from closed wheel, so only three other cars on track in my run group. Nice! I figured I was going to get some serious seat time. Took a few laps to warm the tires and started to lay into the car. Nice power! Linear..smooth..very useable. I was coming down the front stretch....and it would not pull redline in 3rd. I shifted into 4th but it was not feeling right..I downshifted,and took turn 1-2a-2b and hit the throttle on the straight..but it was misfiring...and I looked in the mirrors to see nothing but LOTS of very blue smoke. I pulled off line and headed for the pits. Still running,no noise...but one dead cylinder. I either holed a piston or cracked it. Smoke out the exhaust and LOTS of crankcase pressure.  Well...it was fun while it lasted. I guess those pistons are pretty wimpy. :'(      Darth jinxed me! >:( >:(
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:04 pm

Sorry to hear that, ... and yes they are wimpy.  I have a set of stockers sittin' on a shelf just like Darth does for that very reason.  He warned me too ...

positron

Post by positron » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:04 am

gulp... my maiden voyage is one week out..

If it makes the Subaru motorboat sound, good chance #1 or #4 ring land or upper ring crapped the bed..

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:41 am

Love ya man, would never jinx you.  Sorry for loss - now get some real pistons.

Silver, you paying attention?

silver

Post by silver » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:43 am

yep paying attention....shooting for 280whp and limiting it to 7000rpm max....which is a totally different goal then Mad got sucked into.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:45 am

It's def hitting on three. Pushing oil out the catch can and 1 cyl worth of blue smoke if you hit the gas. too bad..cuz that sucker was really moving! If I can sneak a set of good pistons in there..assuming no bore damage...that would be nice. May have to port up the head while it's off...do something with the balance shafts...I do have that Fidanza..and it could use a better clutch..

Maybe it's time to break out Doc for a while... ;)!!!

I jinxed myself. I was just bragging the other day about not loosing a motor for over 34 years.. :P   

I really should not have expected it to live long...but geee...I was hoping for at least a full event!  :D
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:47 am

you think the lack of timing or whatnot had anything to do with the failure.............just asking from a lack of knowledge

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:54 am

No...lack of timing will make it run hotter,potentially,...but I would have heard detonation and felt the engine falling over well before it should have caused pressures beyond even the stock pistons capabilities.

I am not blaming the tune.I personally saw it run on the dyno as hard as I ran it,with no problem with heat,or detonation,and always an a/f ratio on the safe side.
I pushed the capacities of the stock engine components beyond what they were engineered to take.  I have done it before and been amazed by the abilities of some stock components.

Unfortunately,the stock Ecotec pistons are not capable of amazing things...at least..not for me.. ;D
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:58 am

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
No...lack of timing will make it run hotter,potentially,...but I would have heard detonation and felt the engine falling over well before it should have caused pressures beyond even the stock pistons capabilities.

I am not blaming the tune. I pushed the capacities of the stock engine components beyond what they were engineered to take.  I have done it before and been amazed by the abilities of some stock components.

Unfortunately,the stock Ecotec pistons are not capable of amazing things... ;D
[/quote]

well you did change goals mid-stream...I think you saw the prize and went for it...as your original goal was to keep it really safe...then you started seeing results and decided to keep on trucking...................am I right?

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:04 am

No. I wanted about 300whp,tops but I did want a nice FAT torquey power band.   I only got 3 good laps till it broke,,but let me tell you...I was very pleased with the torque band. Seeing as I was not looking for big numbers..and I have heard of the Ecotec LSJ taking over 300hp without problems, I figured to try it.  However, 6 laps with my foot on the throttle  is like a twelve minute dyno pull... :H:

That's why they have test days... ;)

Really safe would have been to keep it the way it was.   It's that damn disease I have that won't leave anything good well enough alone!!  Some day,I may smarten up.    

But I doubt it.   The Force is too strong... 8)
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

positron

Post by positron » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:01 am

Got it apart yet?

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:55 am

^ :D  I do have to work occasionally to make some money.. 

I am going to concentrate on prepping DOC for track duty.I will need to upgrade the pads(carbotechs),replace the tank gaskets,stiffer springs,replace the reservoirs,install a set of Palatov uprights,longer studs for the front,check the intercooler system for proper operation,corner weight it,adjust the ride height,4 wheel align,swap in Maxxes seat,replace the exhaust,change the oi and plugs...it's like starting all over again! ;)

silver

Post by silver » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:56 pm

or just put docs motor in max