A day(ok,days..) at SMG dyno shop with my Harrop equipped Atom

NormLarson

Re: A day at SMG dyno shop with my Harrop equipped Atom

Post by NormLarson » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:45 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Of course he's going for more power.  If he pops a piston, who cares?  I changed out the pistons in my car over a weekend and a few weeknights, with only the service manual;  Mark is a mechanic and does this stuff for a living. 

Hell, I didn't even hone the bores or even remove the block from the car, just put new rings on the pistons and put it back together.  Never burned a drop of oil, and never had an issue.

Push it, drive it, and if it blows up, fix it  :tu:
[/quote]

X2!

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:39 pm

Damn >:(  sh1t!!... :-\    I'm out of injector at 6.5k..they are at 139% duty cycle..won't last long there..actually,they are at 103% at 6k rpms.,which is not enough revs for the track.  Damn... I need 80lb injectors. They are a good 24hrs away by overnight or..I put the larger pulley on the blower and make less hp for now.   A turbo car can push mid 300's with 60lb injectors,but not a blower car,so the tuner is telling me..damn.  I was hoping to take it to the track this Thursday,and if I go for the 80lb injectors,I won't make it.  The methanol needs the maf signal to work,and  using speed density,with the return wire unplugged from the ecm.the Methanol ecm is not getting a signal..so no methanol. I was hoping to supplement the fuel with the meth..but can't today. I will have to tune without it. Looks like less boost for now. Where is that pulley....
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:40 pm

what sized pulley are you running?

ps predictable how you were going for a conservative tune at the beginning with vince now you're gunning for the gusto LMAO

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:44 pm

2.95", but I have the Superdamper overdrive,which really adds boost! :H:  We were up to 23lbs when the injectors could not keep up,and I was telling him I wanted a 7400rpm redline! I could just get the 80lb units...but won't make my track day Thursday. Or...find that larger pulley..and live with less....boo hoo... :D
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:50 pm

ok gotcha, so with my wimpy 3.14 and non-superdamper I should be within scope of the 60's :)

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:54 pm

I would say yes,even with a raised rpm limit of say 7400. Found my pulley, got some belts coming..quick bite of lunch and back to the dyno! Sure wish I had some 80lb injectors kicking around...we were over 330hp..corrected... :H:   :D

silver

Re: A day(ok days) at SMG dyno shop with my Harrop equipped Atom

Post by silver » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:56 pm

don't forget Norm got 333whp with the 3.14 and 60's so if you don't achieve a higher number you have personally failed all of atom-kind.

just kidding.

;D

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: A day(ok days) at SMG dyno shop with my Harrop equipped Atom

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:59 pm

I'm not sure what his rpm cut is..but I need a 7400 cut,saftely, without the injectors being over 110% duty. I can settle for less hp..but I need that 7400 limiter.

DarthChicken

Re: A day(ok,days..) at SMG dyno shop with my Harrop equipped Atom

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:35 pm

If you got your methanol running you'd have enough injector - you'd run leaner and meth is also
part of the a/f formula, so you'd have plenty of headroom. Use your boost sigal to drive the pump instead of maf, I just turn
mine on 100% at 7 psi of boost.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:04 pm

My setup for the methanol injection uses the maf signal to turn the pump on. I don't have the boost signal setup. I'm sitting here waiting for 5 serpentine belts... I could go back to the MAF system,and use the methanol..and use my mini afc to alter the maf signal so the meter won't top out... :H:

I'm gonna slap on a Holley 650 pretty soon.... :D

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:26 pm

Its just looking at the voltage on the MAF.  See if you can use the voltage on an injector instead to run it.  Call them up!

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:56 am

Well,I'm back. Two long days. Fred sourced a boost signal fuel regulator that ZZ Performance sells (one of his customers bought it,but had not installed it yet),and the 60lb injectors worked fine.It raises fuel pressure 1lb for every pound of boost.We were able to tune right to 7200rpms,and keep the injector duty cycle below 90%. I did not have to change the crank pulley and kept the 2.95" blower pulley.

Final tune netted 312hp/260tq. with the torque coming on at 2.5k rpms at 250ft.lbs(!) and holding  a flat line to redline. Perfect for me! Total timing ended up at 17 degrees,so there is lots of room for more.Not to mention methanol tuning. However,I will have to address the coolant flow through the laminova system,as the pump is working,but not as strong as it should be,so the IATs were flashing to 135 degrees on pulls,so Fred did not want to add any more timing. The car drives like a turbo diesel. You hit the gas at 2.5k and hold on till redline.Amazing. I will have it on track Thursday for a full shakedown. Fingers crossed..  ;D:tu:

DC..the methanol system I have is looking for a HZ frequency signal to moderate injection and it is not getting it. I will have to buy a boost controlled system instead of the MAF system I have. How nice..

Last pull,I took the Supertrapp 3.5" unit off the muffler.Results..absolutely NO change in power,but BIG noise .>125db.    I got 93 db and 300hp with the Supertrapp... That's what I was looking for.

Max on the "rack"... Image
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

positron

Post by positron » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:28 am

17?? Holy crap.. wait till your about 27*, it'll pull your eye lids back..

135 - what where you expecting?

silver

Post by silver » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:26 am

[quote="Positron"]
17?? Holy crap.. wait till your about 27*, it'll pull your eye lids back..

135 - what where you expecting?
[/quote]

those Mass. boys think 70F is a hot day...so 135 IAT2 is smoking hot...LMAO

maybe you had a typo but earlier you posted 296 torque and now you posted 260 torque was that a typo or did you re-do the tuning and somehow end up with lower numbers

oh yeah additional question.....what were your IAT1's  I'm trying to help gather data on the off to the side air intake so that others will be able to learn from our experiments.  The short trip I took so far my IAT1's would not go above ambient even sitting still, whereas with my old air intake tube they climbed as high as 122 in the summer............yes IAT1's pre-boost.
Last edited by silver on Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:04 am

Yea..the torque numbers were higher...but it was a very narrow power band with a higher peak.I am not looking for that kind of power. I forgot to get a copy of the last run..but it is a sweet power band. If this car pulls smooth from 2.5-7k rpms, with 250ft.lbs...like the dyno chart indicates.. nothing I have ever been on track with will be faster.Combined with the tires,suspension and brakes Max has...should be one fast ride. :H: ;D

My IAT1'w were 80-90 degrees. Varied as the shop warmed up. Lots of people stoping by to see the Atom "race" car on the dyno.The tuner stayed till 8:00 last night..and worked through a lot of shop problems and my issues..to get this done in two days.It does not seem like a lot of work till you are doing it. Real on the dyno time and tuning is worth the effort (and expense),from what I have seen.

I have to go back tomorrow..as I left the plates to my Supertrapp on the dyno floor and I will not be able to run Thursday at the track, as the car is LOUD (>125 db) without the Supertrapp installed. The Track max at NHMS is 103db.  The car will pass 93db with 24 plates installed...yes,according to an actual testing machine,it dropped the sound reading that much.   Fred was amazed that the Supertrapp did not hurt the performance one tiny bit,anywhere on the dyno run.

I also told him it must be tuned HOT..so no waiting between pulls..run it HOT.  He had to have done at least 30 pulls and thirty changes while I was there. If the tunes not 100%,it's not from him not trying hard... :tu:

not to mention he put up with me pretty well...  >:D.. :angel:

more shop pics...built LNF going int a Solstice...Image

...which will be getting a bigger turbo,of course...Image
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.