Talk about frustration..thanks again..brammo

McFred

Re: Talk about frustration..thanks again..brammo

Post by McFred » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:31 pm

Sorry, I can't help myself.  I've been watching these ecotec issue threads since 2007 and other than DP35's odd engine behaviour at AtomFest II (daignosed to be dead battery) and fiestycolumbian's recent ECU hardware issues I've not heard of any issues on the Honda drivetrains (Calscot's car nothwithstanding).  It's just too easy to make fun.  :pop:

silver

Post by silver » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:43 pm

we're all just jealous we didn't get the trouble free honda :)

had they said would you like the cheaper ecotec, it doesn't have the power we're quoting nor do we know how to set up the intercooler / fan / dash, or would you like to pay $5000 more for a trouble free honda...

;D

positron

Post by positron » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:03 pm

What fun would that be?  ;D

Sometimes it's the journey and the recovery that make this fun.. Sometimes making a repair track side with what you can scrounge, while frustrating while doing it, make some of the best stories to be told.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:50 pm

it's fun up until a point, then it's annoying and then you let your car sit in the garage for 6 months.......if finances were unlimited it would be a ton of fun but when the wallets' tight I'd just prefer things to work and not break  ;)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:53 pm

[quote="McFred"]
Sorry, I can't help myself.  I've been watching these ecotec issue threads since 2007 and other than DP35's odd engine behaviour at AtomFest II (daignosed to be dead battery) and fiestycolumbian's recent ECU hardware issues I've not heard of any issues on the Honda drivetrains (Calscot's car nothwithstanding).  It's just too easy to make fun.  :pop:
[/quote]

And JL's cylinder head or various people's gearboxes etc

Ben

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:17 pm

[quote="silver"]
it's fun up until a point, then it's annoying and then you let your car sit in the garage for 6 months.......if finances were unlimited it would be a ton of fun but when the wallets' tight I'd just prefer things to work and not break  ;)
[/quote]

I've never let any car sit for 6 months.  Bubble gum and duct tape if I have to, but by GOD it's gonna drive under its own power.  And maybe that's why I have no problem driving thousands of miles every year in my car, I know I'll be able to fix it with roadside trash if I have to.  >:D

McFred - you seem to be missing some torque in your car.  You paid a lot of extra money for an engine with no torque that drives at 4500 rpm at highway speeds and as a result gets worse gas mileage than the ecotec.  I seem to remember you having to stop for gas just outside of your hometown cause you were on fumes.  So you just be quiet over there mister  8)

McFred

Post by McFred » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:51 pm

Despite my lack of forced induction I think I've got enough torque.  I've also got that extra gear to multiply my anemic torque, then and I've got fewer gadgets to complicate things resulting in less mass to push around and more power that doesn't heat soak and drop 10 whp each lap and roast the exhaust with million degree EGTs.

6th gear at 70mph is 3500 rpm.  You're off a little in your calculation. If that kind of thing bothers you you can go get the TSX 6th gear and swap that in for 15% taller gearing (70mph is 3000rpm).

As for the MPG thing it's hard to approximate driving distance when some BOOB at Brammo didn't set the speedo correctly.  ABQ to Santa Rosa is 120 miles according to the Atom caravan average.  My fancy Brammo caibrated trip meter tabulated 90 miles.  It's nicer to stop for gas than walk for it when you dont have any faith in the Brammo fuel level indicator.  As I recall I kept up with you Ecotec folk just fine for the prior 1500 miles.

My $5000 premium also bought me datalogging, Full tunability, OBD2 compatibility (despite there being no physical OBD2 plug) and a bountiful Honda aftermarket to provide me with cheap, effective and relaible upgrades.  Tell me what you gentlemen paid for your 300hp Ecotec Atoms after all the nickknacks, tuning, and troubleshooting that got you a consistent 250whp that doesn't falter after the 4th lap?

It's all in good fun though Image  ;D  When my engine explodes at redline I'll be the first to tell everyone about it.  :laugh:

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:40 pm

Like you said, all in good fun.  Suffice to say. Don't think one is better than the other.  Tuning on the ecotec is less than 1k for the setup, etc etc etc.. 

A lot less than 5k, but my time is free (actually better than
free because I enjoy it)

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:08 pm

I have heard that Honda dealerships don't even have parts departments!  :D    I am still waiting to see the perfect car. Maybe Gods chariot? :angel: