ALERT ALERT ALERT haha brammo ecotec's read this

benyeats

Re: ALERT ALERT ALERT haha brammo ecotec's read this

Post by benyeats » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:02 pm

[quote="silver"]
[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="silver"]
OH I see, yet still the resistance created by the orifice will be equal regardless of which way it's facing............right?
[/quote]

If it is part of a closed system then I think so yes.
[/quote]

hence the argument that it makes no damn difference which way you face them...close system all liquid.....just saying my feeble brain doesn't understand why it would matter.
[/quote]

Did not realise we were having a raging agreement (opposite to a raging argument! )

The only situation I could think of is that going a particular way round creates more 'swirl' which could effect flow, but since no one outside of GM is likely to have accurately modeled / tested this I will stick with it does not matter.

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:37 am

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/pdfs/sidekit.pdf

This is a very complete looking set of instructions for replacing a end plate.

Lane

Post by Lane » Mon May 03, 2010 2:05 am

[quote="Lane"]
Nice find, reasonably priced.  Will likely be ordering this today.
[/quote]

I did end up ordering one of these from OTTP.  Here's what the bottom looked like on the modified one that arrived:

:doh:

Was concerned about the O-ring gasket that mates to this surface... rather than send it back, I took a sander to it and cleaned it up, but that still shouldn't be necessary.  Don't they inspect these things before modifying them?

Anyway, the job of replacing the endplate, re-orienting the laminova tubes, re-routing the flow, and replacing the aftercooler pump (to the Bosch) ended up being a very time-consuming job.  I think the last motor I swapped took less time than this did.  Biggest PITA was piecing together molded hose pieces parts to get the routing and hose shape necessary.  Took it for a drive but can't say I've seen much difference in IAT2s in city driving.  I'll report back after I have some time to evaluate it.

I have a bunch of pictures of disassembly, hose routing, and the new pump in my website gallery here.
Last edited by Lane on Mon May 03, 2010 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

Gage

Post by Gage » Mon May 03, 2010 2:43 am

Thanks for the excellent photo log of parts Lane.  Great work.

silver

Post by silver » Mon May 03, 2010 3:26 am

After a weekend of driving I can tell you with the harrop and 2 intercoolers I still get iat2s up to 168 but the difference now is they don't stay there, they recovery quick. So that being said can you comment on your recovery time and what temps you did see and what your iat1 was.
For example today iat1 stayed around 90 and my iat2s were usually 135 under no load while cruising but got down to 125 under mild acceleration and up to 168 under get acceleration

Gage

Post by Gage » Mon May 03, 2010 4:40 am

[quote="silver"]
After a weekend of driving I can tell you with the harrop and 2 intercoolers I still get iat2s up to 168 but the difference now is they don't stay there, they recovery quick. So that being said can you comment on your recovery time and what temps you did see and what your iat1 was.
For example today iat1 stayed around 90 and my iat2s were usually 135 under no load while cruising but got down to 125 under mild acceleration and up to 168 under get acceleration
[/quote]

What would be the ideal IAT?  What IAT causes problems?    On the track, we are always on the throttle full bore, all the time. 

silver

Post by silver » Mon May 03, 2010 1:03 pm

[quote="Gage"]
[quote="silver"]
[/quote]

What would be the ideal IAT?  What IAT causes problems?    On the track, we are always on the throttle full bore, all the time. 
[/quote]

I'm not sure if anyone knows... all I could prove was that I didn't lose power on three consecutive dyno pulls whereas before I did.

Sagen

Post by Sagen » Tue May 25, 2010 3:57 am

Regarding the initial post about a missing clip on the Throttle Actuator Cable, I was just victimized by this failure while leaving downtown Seattle during the peak of the commute.  I was fortunate in that it happened in stop and go traffic on a nearly level street and i just had to push across a couple lanes of traffic into a parking lot to get out of the way of the rush.

My car's idle dropped to a very low and surging rhythm and the accelerator had no affect on the throttle position.  After a few minutes I got the car stable and limped back to work to see if I could sort it out (and wait for traffic to die down before braving the bridges).  Unfortunately I had forgotten about this post as I was out of town when I originally saw it. 

I managed to reproduce the failure once I identified that I didn't have a retention clip on my cable.  And I was able to make it home after re-seating the cable housing.

So, check your Ecotec!

Clipless in Seattle  :doh:

- Sagen

Sagen

Post by Sagen » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:32 am

I think this just might be the Delphi Part number that is needed (I didn't notice this elsewhere in the thread).  Figured I'd stick this here for the archives:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Delphi-Connection-Systems/15317832/?qs=xyz6lfZ1ktJKmXZMwnsvXQ%3d%3d

This is a Delphi GT 150 series connector. 

silver

Post by silver » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:04 pm

Sagen I just mailed you a couple, sorry for the delay it slipped my mind then I went out of town for a week but they are literally in the mail now!

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:13 pm

Just wondering if this is the plug you guys are talking about.
Pic taken from the drivers side, just where the engine backs up against the firewall.
Couldn't reach the plug as it sits in a very tight area, in past where the ecu is situated.
Attachments
002 [800x600].jpg

silver

Post by silver » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:17 pm

nope....def not,

go 90 degrees towards the back of the car.

you can't see it with the eyes but you can easily fit your hand in this area to grab it.