Windshield install on my old Atom2

shinoo

Windshield install on my old Atom2

Post by shinoo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:59 pm

The new owner of my Atom2 has requested that we install an Atom3 windshield on the car.  We've begun this project - TMI has done it already on other cars.  We will post some pix on our Blog with info.  I maintain that it is a good looking and effective windshield.  I don't think you can design a more aesthetically pleasing solution for the Atom. 

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: Windshield install on my old Atom2

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:52 pm

Assuming someone is looking for a solution... ;)

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:15 pm

Its a good solution because you're about 4' 11" tall Shinoo.  8)

See the thread about windshield wiper coverage for taller folks.

shinoo

Post by shinoo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:18 pm

Ha ha, true - actually 4' 10.5". :laugh:  But some folks out there want some more protection and others are required to have a windshield by their respective state law...I remember there was one Atom at Atomfest that had a home spun solution - this option eliminates fabricating your own.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:00 pm

How much does a retrofit windshield install cost,with all required components? (I promise not to laugh.. ;))

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:12 pm

There are times that I would like the option of attaching a windshield.  90-95% of the time I would have no interest, but, there are those times.  My problem is that my line of sight would undoubtedly be over it :D

silver

Post by silver » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:40 pm

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
How much does a retrofit windshield install cost,with all required components? (I promise not to laugh.. ;))
[/quote]

there's another member who's having one retro'd to his atom 2 by TMI...thinking $3000 was around the price, but, that's from memory so who knows.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:10 pm

I did not ask to ridicule the price..just curious. People ask me all the time.  I personally do not find the lack of a windshield to ever be a problem. The 'tub' seating places me so low in my car,the only time I get any buffeting is above 120mph,and this is never much longer than 15-20 seconds on most large tracks. I have found helmet design to be very critical in an open cockpit car,and have found my current helmet to be quite comfortable handling the wind.. :tu:  (Simpson Stingray in CF)
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:21 pm

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
I did not ask to ridicule the price..just curious. People ask me all the time.  I personally do not find the lack of a windshield to ever be a problem. The 'tub' seating places me so low in my car,the only time I get any buffeting is above 120mph,and this is never much longer than 15-20 seconds on most large tracks. I have found helmet design to be very critical in an open cockpit car,and have found my current helmet to be quite comfortable handling the wind.. :tu:  (Simpson Stingray in CF)
[/quote]

Mark, you are lucky, not only do I sit ridiculously high, ... I must have a nearing world record head.  All swollen I guess! :laugh:  I have only ever found one full face that fits and it is like stuffing 25 teenagers in a Fiat.  er, .. I mean it's kind of tight