Engine cutting in/out, car not starting

fiestycolumbian

Engine cutting in/out, car not starting

Post by fiestycolumbian » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:58 pm

Drove the atom last night, and the engine cut out a few times. It would happen with a big bump or as soon as I hit 80mph.
I then got off the freeway, and it just died. I got it started again, and was able to get it home.

Tried starting it this morning, but its not starting. Power turns on, fuel pump turns on, but as I crank the starter, the engine doesnt kick in.

Dont know what the issue is?

Its not the battery, I keep that topped off with a battery tender. The car has full fuel. Dash comes on, fuel pump turns on, after that nothing.

The engine is trying to start, but it seems its not getting any fuel.

Any help would be appreciative.

fiesty

Karl

Re: Engine cutting in/out, car not starting

Post by Karl » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:05 pm

Have you replaced your fuel tank gaskets and the "sock" for the fuel pump?

silver

Post by silver » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:21 pm

On my car granted it's an ecotec not a honda BUT brammo didn't install the retainer clip on the throttle body connection and it was the cause of my car dying on the highway....would crank just fine but never turn over.....till I figured it out and plugged it back in, then bought 20 of the retainer clips and so now I'm set.

The fuel tank gaskets will be a bit more of a gradual onset, where your car starts to accelerate roughly then eventually drive like crap but I don't believe anyone mentioned it not starting.

So obviously things to check all fuses, b/c if fuel pump fuse blew, that's an easy fix, otherwise look for connections that have become disconnected like the throttle body connection or fuel pump connections.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:58 pm

fiestycolumbian wrote: Drove the atom last night, and the engine cut out a few times. It would happen with a big bump or as soon as I hit 80mph.
I then got off the freeway, and it just died. I got it started again, and was able to get it home.
The ignition switch (on/off, not the starter button) uses push-on connectors which can become loose over time. This can cause intermittent cut-outs when driving over bumpy ground.
Tried starting it this morning, but its not starting. Power turns on, fuel pump turns on, but as I crank the starter, the engine doesnt kick in.
Well, that's something different. Most Brammo owners here have the Ecotec, so I can't really say. Aside from the fuel tank gaskets and a possibly-clogged fuel filter, I'd look at the connectors on the ECU to see if anything has worked loose.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:27 pm

Have you tried turning it off and on ag.....?

I'll get me coat!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

McFred

Post by McFred » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:28 pm

You have the brammo honda, right?  Call doug at hondata.  Plug it into a laptop and see if you have any error codes and whether all the sensors have reasonable values.  If you can't get that far look for bad ground/power to the ecu.  If you check fuses, make sure you can see the metal connectors under the fuses, not just the fuses themselves.  The fuse connectors can push out the back side of the box when you insert a fuse.

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:41 pm

You've checked for spark, right?

I had a problem with my car cutting out and then running OK and it was the small (primary) wires to the ignition coil.

It doesn't matter what brand/model of car or Atom you have for a loose electrical connection to stop you in your tracks.

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:17 pm

Hey, Fiesty -

Any progress?  It definitely sounds like an intermittent electrical somewhere, a bad ground, loose wire, etc.  Post what you find when you get the chance.

Good luck!

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:44 pm

check crank/cam sensor plugs as well.

Think back to things you've done to your car over the last few weeks.  Did you wash it - did water get someplace it wasn't supposed to?  Did you add or remove anything?  I know you just got an alignment, did you do anything else during that time? 

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:18 pm

+2 Darth. First thing I thought of was a faulty TPS/CPS.

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:46 pm

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Looks like a faulty MAP(Manifold Pressure) Sensor.
I checked the fuel tank/pump gasket, which is normal. Tank is very clean.
Fuel reaches the fuel rail, engine tries to crank, battery is 100%, so I figured it was an electrical/sensor issue.

I havent washed it or done anything out of the ordinary, aside from putting on my new white panels.

Honda/Acura MAP sensors are not cheap!!, about $85.

Anyway look to try the new sensor this weekend and see if it fixes the issue. I am 99% sure thats what it is. If it isnt, back to square one and more frustration, lol.

fiesty

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:46 am

New MAP sensor did not fix the issue. The sensors do not seem like the problem. When the car sits for a while, the engine starts, but as soon as I hit the throttle, it dies. And then the engine cannot start anymore.

The only other thing I can throw at it is a new battery. The current battery is reading 12.5V, and about 10V on engine crank start attempt.

After that I am clueless. ??? Pretty depressing really.  :(

fiesty

Lane

Post by Lane » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:02 am

If you don't have any way to see if there are codes stored in the ECU, AutoZone stores will do it for no charge.

Otherwise, consider stopping by a GM dealer and have them hook up their gear.  In addition to any stored codes, it should be easy for them to see sensors that may not be operating within normal parameters.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:45 am

Sounds like fuel starvation .. fuel pump?
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:13 pm

Isn't his car a brammo Honda,which has no ALDL (OBDII) plug?   Gm sure won't be of any help either. Do the brammo Hondas use throttle by wire? Check you fuel pressure.A car with poor pressure will start,reluctantly..and as soon as the throttle is touched..stall.
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.