atom two upgrade

silver

Re: atom two upgrade

Post by silver » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:13 pm

[quote="s996"]
update

Shinoo's bits are in the mail.

I have removed the exhaust for the hytech and the intake manifold today to get to the laminova? tubes.

I have a couple of tips for the next warrior:

first- the intake just barely fits between the engine and frame.  you MUST remove the two lateral studs from the head to get it to move left or right.

next tip.  I used up 2 new torx sockets to get the old studs out of the exhaust and still  double nut worked best.

Question  I dont know the right answer -- how should I plum the new system? any thermdynamic guys around?

1 Leave the old IC and plumbing and add on
2 remove the old IC and use the new IC alone
3 redirect the flow to avoid air lock

Question how can I tell which wiring loom I have/need for 60 injectors?  I have the grey/blue ones now do I need to order new ones for upgraded injectors?
[/quote]

1:  just for other's to post on  my advice was to remove old intercooler and piping to save weight and switch the direction of flow to avoid losing prime on the pump.

for the other question, when using Shinoo's tune you MUST use the same sized injectors he used, you can not use 60's unless he redoes the tune to match.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:45 pm

New injectors typically come with a new harness. 

I would remove the stock intercooler and route to use the new one only.  You're only slowing flow to the new one, with the possibility of an air bubble stopping flow altogether.

Not sure why you took the intake manifold off to switch around the laminovas... you can do that without removing it from the engine.  You just unbolt the plate and there they are.

s996

Post by s996 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:56 pm

Thanks Darth

I am also leaning toward a single system but shinoo stated that they tested it with both.  could the longer path offer any positives?

As for the laminova tubes, newbie,  I tried to get them out with it in place but my oil filter and ciooler are in the way, they wouldnt come all the way out.

It only cost me a gasket to make sure its done right

silver

Post by silver » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:58 pm

[quote="s996"]
Thanks Darth

I am also leaning toward a single system but shinoo stated that they tested it with both.  could the longer path offer any positives?

As for the laminova tubes, newbie,  I tried to get them out with it in place but my oil filter and ciooler are in the way, they wouldnt come all the way out.

It only cost me a gasket to make sure its done right

[/quote]

Positron spoke with an engineer somewhere above my paygrade and intelligence that stated there was NO benefit to switching the laminova tubes around, why did you decide to take on such a chore?

silver

Post by silver » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:04 pm

damn that thread was 9 pages long but here's where it came to light that laminova directions don't matter

http://forum.atomclub.com/https://atomc ... 44#p143344

s996

Post by s996 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:25 pm

the direction is only to keep the pump from stalling.

the Shinoo upgrade comes with different tubes that are more efficient and and an endplate that makes it tripple pass. 

Dont ask me, its Shinoos upgrade.  I am only stating what is advertised and am excited as he#$ to get it back together and working.

Silver, Max, Positron, Terry - one radiator or two?  direction?

s996

Post by s996 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:24 am

I misspoke when I stated the tubes are replaced.  The flow is all that is changed with the addition of a new endplate.

I hope it works.  http://sector111.blogspot.com/2009/09/a ... grade.html

silver

Post by silver » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:06 am

[quote="s996"]
I misspoke when I stated the tubes are replaced.  The flow is all that is changed with the addition of a new endplate.

I hope it works.   http://sector111.blogspot.com/2009/09/a ... grade.html
[/quote]

ok so yours wasn't a 300hp model to begin with?  I'm  a little confused.

I personally don't think based on the past research we did that the laminova orientation matters but I believe more strongly that you should copy what shinoo did so that you don't ever wonder if you didn't do something right in the future.

if your car was a 300 then you don't need to swap the endplate either as the 300's came with the endplate that shinoo is switching too, of course his was a 205 model, which didn't come with this brammo upgrade.

s996

Post by s996 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:47 am

now Im confused

my car is supposed to be the 300. the endplate has three pipes. it appears to have the two outer ones as input and the center one as the output.

I think this is considered dual pass.  Shinoo is selling a tripple pass endplate with his kit, not the same I dont think as what came on a 2006 300.

help.  now I am wondering what I paid for.  Shinoo knows I have a 300.  why would he sell me the same thing I have. 

I will ask him.
Last edited by s996 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:56 am

hahaha confusion all around.

I think the confusion is that the dual endpass endplate has 3 hose connections, perhaps that's where you are getting confused.

if you read his excerpt from your link this is what he posted

"This picture shows the stock end plate with 2 hose connections. The new endplate has 3 connections to help flow coolant quicker."

so stock atoms lower than the 300 model have a single bypass (meaning it passes through one time but it still has 2 hose connections, IN AND OUT

on the 300's it was upgraded to the dual pass endplate which has 2 in and one out, or vice versa, 1 in and 2 out, can't remember which way, but nonetheless I suspect that's where your confusion is coming from.

Shinoo's complete transformation kit was really designed for other 205hp model owners as an upgrade, in reality for a 300hp owner you are downgrading your pulley and injectors to match what he is using, but you still increase your overall power by a little bit because of his tune and cooling mods so that its more powerful than a stock 300 and safer.

so stock 205 does probably 220whp maybe 230whp depending on if you have a badass one.  Stock 300 does 220-240 but quickly heatsoaks down to under 200whp

your result will be around 245whp per his results and you WON'T heatsoak and you WIILL have a much better running engine.

s996

Post by s996 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:12 am

houston we have a problem.  Silver you are pretty savvy

He is advertising a triple PASS endplate not a triple hose endplate.  Giant difference in effiency and exactly what I already have. 

I will have to review the kit when it arrives.  maybe a refiund on duplicates

I will need to clear it up with him.  He clearly knows I have a 300 and its issues.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:17 am

I do hope Shinoo is addressing the backwards intercooling pumping situation,or it won't work any better than what brammo did. He must be,or he would not be getting the numbers that he does.
It's one nipple in (the welded one) and two nipples out,for the dual pass setup. I don't see any way to make it a three pass setup. In actuality,the stock configuration has the coolant passing through the intake 4 times before returning to the outside of the engine.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:17 am

well I don't know exactly what he's selling, and I haven't seen him call it a triple pass endplate, so if he is then maybe he really does have something better than what brammo came up with......so don't get all tangled up just yet LMAO.

maybe he's saying triple pass as in laminova tubes, intercooler, intercooler?  I dunno, I'm sure he has a very simple explanation for this.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:30 am

s996 wrote: next tip.  I used up 2 new torx sockets to get the old studs out of the exhaust and still  double nut worked best.
Exhaust studs? I used a 12-point socket (whichever one fit the tightest - I don't remember). Worked fine.
Question  I dont know the right answer -- how should I plum the new system? any thermdynamic guys around?

1 Leave the old IC and plumbing and add on
2 remove the old IC and use the new IC alone
3 redirect the flow to avoid air lock
I'd go with whatever Shinoo did, unless you plan on custom tuning. If I were starting from scratch, I'd replace the intercooler with a wider, angled unit like Max and others are doing.
Question how can I tell which wiring loom I have/need for 60 injectors?  I have the grey/blue ones now do I need to order new ones for upgraded injectors?
For some reason known only to injector manufacturers, a variety of connectors are used on the injector housings. Normally new injectors will be sold with optional matching wiring (often without the connector where it connects to the car harness, since that varies depending on the model of car involved, while the injectors will fit many different car models).

Also, the injector manufacturers don't make the specs of their parts available on the net. Even on forums where people do this all the time (cobaltss.net) you won't find agreement on what flow rate a particular part number has.

s996

Post by s996 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:28 pm

Christmas in March. 

I received a large box filled with many small boxes.

After opening all of them I have concluded that the entire Upgrade was done from the factory except for the orientation of the laminova tubes. (mine was in series with 4 pass)
The three pipe endplate was already bolted on

same pulley
same injectors
same belt
same endplate.

I have to brag on the intercooler and intake. very nicely fabricated and I will let you know about the responsiveness of the ECU tune when I get it all back together. 

Will return all of these other bits unless someone can use them that has a 245 or a 205.