Alignment help (street use settings)

fiestycolumbian

Alignment help (street use settings)

Post by fiestycolumbian » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:17 am

I am changing tires, so decided to do an alignment tomorrow. Was wondering what specs would you guys run for street only use. I am kind of retiring the atom to street only, so would like to set it up for that only.

Here are my alignment specs from about 2 yrs ago:

Front
-1.5 camber L/R
2.8 caster L, 3.3 caster R
.01 toe L, .03 toe R
Total toe .04
steer ahead is -.01

Rear
-1.5 camber L, -1.4 camber R
.19 toe L, .18 toe R
total toe .36
thrust angle .01

Any help or insight would be helpful.

fiesty

CalScot

Re: Alignment help (street use settings)

Post by CalScot » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:33 am

Depends on your new tires.... and much more?

No track time?
Camber is going to be about -1* to -0.5* front and zero on rears.
Castor has no adjustment so it is what it is when it is.
Toe on the front should be about 1/32 out for street use. (per side)
Rear toe is neutral to 1/64' in for street. (per side)

Many will argue but none will be any more correct...or wrong. Go figure :laugh:

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:40 am

I prefer a little more camber on the back than the front.  Keeps the back end from being quite as "happy".  -1.5 rear, -1 front, but again that's person opinion (although I DO drive 6000 miles a year, right up to the max my insurance allows).

The important thing is toe out up front, toe in on the rear.  You get toe out on the back, you're gonna think your car is broken.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:00 am

No track?  WCAII is coming.  You need to be getting ready for the track more than ever! 

Your toe info is hard to understand.  I assume that's inches.  The problem is it doesn't say whether those measurements are toe OUT or IN, and it implies that they are both in the same direction, which would be a problem. 

I'd guess that your settings are pretty good, IF the toe is out by that amount in front, and in by that amount in back.  Camber is not that critical IMO, but toe is. 

Also, I wouldn't worry about having it setup for the track or the street.  Just get it handling as good as possible and run it like that everywhere.

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:17 am

[quote="dp35"]
No track?  WCAII is coming.  You need to be getting ready for the track more than ever! 

Your toe info is hard to understand.  I assume that's inches.  The problem is it doesn't say whether those measurements are toe OUT or IN, and it implies that they are both in the same direction, which would be a problem. 

I'd guess that your settings are pretty good, IF the toe is out by that amount in front, and in by that amount in back.  Camber is not that critical IMO, but toe is. 

Also, I wouldn't worry about having it setup for the track or the street.  Just get it handling as good as possible and run it like that everywhere.
[/quote]
Fiesty has a new secret weapon:
Sequential gearbox, open wheel, carbon tub, wings and aero wishbones to name but a few goodies. But hey...I'm not telling ;)

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:32 am

Changing rear MH A048s, fronts are still 50-60% and dont need changing.

On my old alignment specs, I assume the specs I listed below are in degrees. Will double check about tow out front, tow in rear.

Thanks for the help, I will tinker with the setup tomorrow.

[quote="CalScot"]
Sequential gearbox, open wheel, carbon tub, wings and aero wishbones to name but a few goodies. But hey...I'm not telling ;)
[/quote]
Calscot cant keep anything in!! :D I have NO IDEA what he is talking about  ;) (I will post a thread in due time)

fiesty

dp35

Post by dp35 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:27 pm

If you're getting new tires, don't get the med-hard compound A048's, get the medium compound.  That will make a big difference.

Looking forward to hearing about the new Fiestymobile.

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:42 am

Car drives much better!! Amazing what new tires, proper alignment, oil change, tranny flush can do!!! The atom feels like a brand new car!!!
Stripped the car of all wings, roll bars, side panels, etc. Nearly took 100lbs off the car.
The car looks great in basic form, gonna keep it like that for a while.
Already put MH rears, but I had it like that before, and it wasnt a big deal.

Thanks for the advice guys

fiesty

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:29 am

I'll be happy to store those heavy wings for you.

shinoo

Post by shinoo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:39 am

[quote="CalScot"]
[/quote]

KTM X-bow? 
Say it isn't so...:o

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:59 am

[quote="fiestycolumbian"]
I am kind of retiring the atom to street only, so would like to set it up for that only.
[/quote]

Booo!  I say again -- booo!  That Atom hasn't had nearly it's due share of track days and to now put her out to pasture??

Again, kind sir, I say... booo!!

a

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:50 am

[quote="shinoo"]
KTM X-bow? 
Say it isn't so...:o
[/quote]

Huh? WTF? I am offended by such a revolting thought. An X-bow? Seriously! I wouldnt get that in a million years!!

[quote="atomathics"]
Booo!  I say again -- booo!  That Atom hasn't had nearly it's due share of track days and to now put her out to pasture??

Again, kind sir, I say... booo!!

a
[/quote]
Actually, quite the opposite. I plan to drive the Atom more than I ever have! Whilest maybe not on the track, it will be far from "pasture".