A/C for your Atom?

Heywood-Yablowme

A/C for your Atom?

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:51 pm

Saw this posted on one of my bike forums and thought it would just as easily work for the Atom owner. Not that I'm interested as I live on a glacier  ;D  (although it does heat as well..)

http://entrosys.com/

[img width=800 height=242]http://entrosys.com/wp-content/themes/C ... zc=1&q=100[/img]

A windshield,climate control...what's next,ABS brakes and air bags? :D :D ( some bikes have all of those things.. :P)
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

positron

Re: A/C for your Atom?

Post by positron » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:33 pm

Maybe not in the frozen tundra.. But I use a cool shirt every session no matter the outside temp. On warm days I burn through a Qt and a half of block ice per session. It's amazing how much heat you produce when your getting your adrenaline fix.. I started with the smaller bag but would melt the amount of ice it could carry in under 20 mins when the hooning was on high. Thought about putting warm water in to do the opposite on cooler days but haven't needed to.

What prompted me to get this was one time at Buttonwillow it was 100*F before 11:00am the ambient temp in the car was over 120* with the rad fan on full. At one point I was losing concentration and thinking I really don't care if I crash.. Fortunately I had the where for all to exited the track. Turned out it was 108*F. I removed my nomex gloves and couldn't hold on to the steering wheel due to the heat blast at speed so I think it was something like the effects of wind chill only in reverse.

There is something to not getting the driver over heated.

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:44 pm

I'm looking for something like the cool shirt idea, but would use it when doing my Santa gigs in the Cayman sun as well.  So ideally, it would be a cooling vest that could either be plugged in with a hose (when using it with the Atom on track days) or not (when I need to be 100% mobile for the Santa stuff).

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:03 pm

Nice thing about the A/C unit is it never needs new ice (and doesn't leak..) and when you are done,you simply shut it off.Toss it in the trailer for when you may need it. Quite compact,actually.It also uses a shirt of sorts under your racing suit to cool (or heat)

If (when?) I move to a warm climate I would def consider one for on track time.Self contained,and quite compact. I inquired about pricing,just for giggles.. :D

Watch the video... 
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monza

Post by Monza » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:13 pm

Risk is to seat on the hoose ....
;D
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:39 pm

Yea,the hose inlet may be a problem. :-\

positron

Post by positron » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:46 pm

Currently have a pro ice on order, the one with no ice is out of my price range..

http://shop.986inc.com/products.html

good article here
http://shop.986inc.com/article_physicsofdrivercooling

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:15 pm

No ice version...hmm...Woof! I can understand why..$5k... :H: 

I suppose, if you lived in your race car,it would be an insignificant expense,compared to...keeping your cool!!   :D

More ice,please!  How much would you like..as I have 8 acres of it,currently....more on the way I am told.. :P 

Well...great time to work on the Atom! I'm tinkering on the mystery 5th/reverse setup...trying a real simple blocking gate gizmo..Hey,it works for Ferrari ! ;)
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

positron

Post by positron » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:22 pm

It would be nice to have one less logistics issue with that amount of ice to carry for a two day event.. but there are other things to spend that kind of money on.

Having cooling is definitely a must have item once you have one. I would think that if you were freeway cruising and not going full blast the ice would last substantially longer. But then I wouldn't need 100 octane and pretty soon I'd have a Volvo...

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:10 pm

Even on a "hot" 75 degree day back here,I sweat so bad I have to change T shirts between sessions. Never bothers me...but I am sure in 90+ degrees,a cool suit would be a MUST have item,if you want to stay sharp on track.  If I were on track for more than 30 minutes I would look into one ,even at my much lower temps.Dehydrate,and you will get woozy.  I can certainly understand why endurance racers have them.

Jacob Potts

Post by Jacob Potts » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:31 pm

Something that cools the driver and passenger would be a very good idea for Atom owners (and passengers) going on long trips in the very warm climates:
  • the southern tier of the United States
    [*]the Middle East
    [*]the more equatorial portions of landed Earth in general

Siimon Saunders said, "You design the car for the road."  If the road is hot enough to kill you, cooling in the car fits Saint Simon's (of blessed memory) dictum.

What do y'all think?

Jacob Potts :-)

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:46 pm

...edited...

I just posted the same idea as previously suggested
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Jacob Potts

Post by Jacob Potts » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:55 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]...edited...

I just posted the same idea as previously suggested[/quote]You already suggested air conditioning for Atoms in hot climates?  Oops!  Sorry, Bruce, I do not want to clutter the forum with redundant posts.

May I ask a favor?  Would you please add a link to the first occurrence of your suggestion?

(The forum's spell checker said that "occurrence" with two "r's" is correct, not "occurence" with one "r")

Thanks!

Jacob Potts :-)

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:51 pm

[quote="Jacob Potts"]
(The forum's spell checker said that "occurrence" with two "r's" is correct, not "occurence" with one "r")
[/quote]

Sounds right to me.

oh, wait a minute...

Last edited by WorkingOnIt on Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:01 pm

[quote="Positron"]
[/quote]

It was one similar to this...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London