A/C for your Atom?

Mr.Woolery

Re: A/C for your Atom?

Post by Mr.Woolery » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:07 pm

There's so much unnecessary weight and expense in this thread.  I've found a much simpler and cheaper solution...

As many of you here may know, I live in the southwest US and tend to drive my Atom while dressed all in black nomex pilot's coveralls, gloves, balaclava, and helmet (even during the height of summer).  It can get hot.  The easy solution for me is to buy a bag of ice and put a large handfull of ice into each pocket of the nomex coveralls (two large breast pockets and thigh pockets).  As the ice melts, it slowly leaks cold water into the fabric of the coveralls, dampening the entire front of my chest, stomach, and leg areas.  The open air nature of the Atom allows the dampness to be constantly wicked away, along with any heat that the water absorbs.  The nomex coveralls essentially become a primitive swamp cooler.

The result is that I stay cool for up to 30 minutes for the weight and price of four handfulls of ice.  Very effective, even on the hottest (110*F+) days.  I've driven many hours and hundreds of miles in some of the hottest environments this way...only needing a bag of ice purchased at any roadside convenience store.  Sometimes I've even gotten a little TOO cold and have had to remove some ice from pockets!

You don't need a bunch of expensive high tech numbskullery.

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: A/C for your Atom?

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:19 pm

Don't you get a case of diaper rash being constantly wet like that?